Is this Campervan worth the advertised price?

If really you want the van then chip away at the price to allow for getting cambelt, DMF and a full service at VW prices and add some contingency to cover any unknowns

However, I’d rather have a solid base van, the extras can be added!

I’d walk away. High mileage, rattles, rust, no service history….

Have you experience of campervans and/or T6s before to know what you really need and what works for you? If not I’d suggest hiring a couple to get a feel for what actually works. I wanted a sliding rear seat and got one. It’s great to have all your luggage behind it….until you need to make the bed! You might find the same, or you may use it totally differently.

I’d also recommend a good search through the forum. There are several known issues (e.g. DPF, EGR, DMF…) and things people find they want to upgrade (headlights, suspension, leisure electrics…). Good luck with the search.

Have you experience of campervans and/or T6s before to know what you really need and what works for you? If not I’d suggest hiring a couple to get a feel for what actually works. I wanted a sliding rear seat and got one. It’s great to have all your luggage behind it….until you need to make the bed! You might find the same, or you may use it totally differently.

I’d also recommend a good search through the forum. There are several known issues (e.g. DPF, EGR, DMF…) and things people find they want to upgrade (headlights, suspension, leisure electrics…). Good luck with the search.

I've had a Wedge in the past and hired a swb T6 camper a couple of years ago. We decided we need a full width bed and aren't bothered about units. If that changes I can build something. But sometimes I will need more room in the back, sometimes I'll need the passengers to be closer to the front. I really want a caravelle as a starting point but they are way out our league for a lwb euro 6. I've built a conversion for a customer based on a Berlingo where I did everything so I've got a little experience but I'm always open to advice.

1677267697504.jpg

I've had a Wedge in the past and hired a swb T6 camper a couple of years ago. We decided we need a full width bed and aren't bothered about units. If that changes I can build something. But sometimes I will need more room in the back, sometimes I'll need the passengers to be closer to the front. I really want a caravelle as a starting point but they are way out our league for a lwb euro 6. I've built a conversion for a customer based on a Berlingo where I did everything so I've got a little experience but I'm always open to advice.

View attachment 225445
That’s great :thumbsup:. So many people dive in without trying out what actually works for them first. Can make for an expensive mistake!

Certainly rent one! What got us into all this was a rental that we did the NC500 with (Didn't want to put all those miles on our own van!) Rented a tailgate T6.1 and realised because of our haphazard packing abilities barn doors we're a better option for us, only half the gear falls out now when we park up! And barn door models seem cheaper because of the perceived more desirable option of the tailgate. We found pretty much what we wanted, 200 miles away, try and get something closer in case of eventualities, our solar panel died and I had to take it back oop North for them to swap it. We didn't do a DSG box, should have done a 6 speed 150 but ours is a 5 speed mapped to 150, soon sorted that with a 6 speed gear knob! Manuals are generally cheaper, less maintenance in theory.
We love our poverty line van, and have made various amendments as we felt appropriate, LED lights were essential.
It's knowing when to stop spending!
I don't know that bit yet, there is always something shiny we 'need'....
Absolutely loving everything this forum has given us which keeps me poor!

When I had the wedge both me and my now ex had beetles. At my first VW rally a guy with a beautiful splitscreen advised me to "get out now.... It's a disease!"

When I had the wedge both me and my now ex had beetles. At my first VW rally a guy with a beautiful splitscreen advised me to "get out now.... It's a disease!"
This has much better mileage it’s LWB and has loads of nice bits on it.

Back