Is there an earth I can use under passenger seat?

Ethan Andrews

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Trying to hardwire my Blackvue battery that is under passenger seat.

I got positive supply from fuse box. And found a suitable earthing point on the seat base.

It has continuity to earth. i.e I am find it with a multi meter in any metal part.

But I am not getting a power feed due to no 12 volt negative. Which is somewhat frustrating, let alone puzzling.

Am I missing something electrically. Or should I run a separate negative cable back to the fuse box. And find an earth under dashboard?

Alternatively there are a course a bunch of cables under the passenger seat. But I don’t know what they are.

BD852C82-FEBA-4838-A578-4790AC6E67DB.jpeg

Yes, you will find a stud welded to the floor with a 6mm? thread. Lift the rubber mat and you will find it.

In German automotive standard (DIN) wiring colours, Brown is =ve (chassis earth).

Yes I know it's confusing when UK mains electric uses Brown as 240v live!.

Thank you. I lifted the rubber mat to push an earth cable through to the fuse box. I never saw an earth stud. But then I wasn’t looking for one.

There was an M6 hole in the old seat base. This was where I made my first earth too. But it didn’t work.

I will have another look for the studs.

Many thanks

Thank you. I lifted the rubber mat to push an earth cable through to the fuse box. I never saw an earth stud. But then I wasn’t looking for one.

There was an M6 hole in the old seat base. This was where I made my first earth too. But it didn’t work.

I will have another look for the studs.

Many thanks
It is there.. you have to really pull up the flappy bit of floor. It’s tucked right at the back. I connected my Earth for my leccy hook up onto it.

I've been installing the battery under the Drivers seat, although my van is T5.1 it is an M6 type thread with a dome nut/bolt on top which is in the same colour as the van. They must fit the nuts and then spray the van.

I did wonder about the brown cable too, didn't feel right when I found one above the wheel arch!

I've always assumed that the dome nut was simply to prevent the stud poking through the rubber mat.

There is a stud like this under each seat, also in various other places like in the rear of the side panels.

You can see the earth studs poking through the silent coat between the seat mounting bolts in this picture, one on each side..
cab deadening.jpg
There's another one in the middle near that yellow connector and another one on the left hand side of the floor under the fusebox where the floor is still orange a little further up and to the left of the yellow connector.

Thanks everyone for your replies. You really helped me, and I have now found a few I could use. But the domed one was the best, as rubbing the paint off the one above the wheel arch then caused a slack nut which I was about to glue with Loctite thread lock.

92A42907-D9E6-46E2-AAE9-55CED02B9B5E.jpeg

9D62B84A-DCD8-44A7-9038-479A03DFFAD9.jpeg

F81319C2-9FFD-4572-8559-575BCAB6BEB1.jpeg

DA0A6629-82C8-4FA4-A02F-5E0F3E870B10.jpeg

4BA1149D-5E4A-43B1-9FF1-0C4B36936A3F.jpeg

D8B507B0-1246-4F6D-B1E9-42A23A27540E.jpeg

E2A5A3B9-4FFD-466E-B8C7-2442FF198ADB.jpeg

4F00154A-15C6-479D-A4C0-58A46BC0DDBF.jpeg

EEC16710-D2C5-4885-A7BB-C00AB07CD1B2.jpeg

The one in the second picture, I don't believe is an earth stud, more a locating peg for loom tie downs like you have in the second to last picture, it is more of a screw spiral than a M6 thread.

I’m glad you got it sorted and thanks for coming back with a load of detail on what can be used, it’s a great help for others with similar questions in future :thumbsup:

The one in the second picture, I don't believe is an earth stud, more a locating peg for loom tie downs like you have in the second to last picture, it is more of a screw spiral than a M6 thread.
Hi. Just having found this thread, I realise that I have earthed my 12v system to one of the drivers seat base bots sandwiched in-between the seat base and the nut. I realise now that this is not one of the standard earthing points. Everything seemingly works fine. Is this safe or should I go back and change earthing point?
Many thanks!

Back