Is It Possible To Activate Us Style Side Lights?

RyanGerry

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So many years back I had a Gold Edition 30 and had the indicators activated to stay on like they do in the US.

Does anyone know if this is possible on a T6?

Don't think its possible, and i don't think its legal. I could be wrong.:unsure:

Many many years ago I wanted that look so I hard wired my indicators and would flick the rocker switch off and on when making a turn. North Wales Police were very quick to inform me that was not legal. Doubt if the law has changed but thanks for bringing a smile to my face whilst reminiscing.
Things we do when we are young.:)

Things we do when we are young.:)
We had a Fiat Brava many years ago when they first came out and I fitted some purple gells to the front fogs, they looked really cool, unfortunately Mrs Loz was pulled on her way home from nightshift and handed a remedy notice to get them fixed...

Mmmhm. Loz's example is clear cut really. Unauthorised lamps, so its covered as an offence. However the indicator issue is interesting. BMW 5 series E60/61 had wrap around amber marker lights visible at the side and the front. It does however have a seperate indicator below in the light cluster. Some Beemers also have a bulb failure system whereby the front indicator will glow slightly, if the corresponding front side or headlight fails. Albeit, it's a get you home mode. Would need to go digging into the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs to find where that would actually be an offence. Plenty American vehicles used in the UK with amber lights displayed to the front with an MOT.

20180907_073409.jpg

If be very interested to hear if there is a way round it. I could do it to my van and recapture my youth. :)

My grey import Honda Bros has that feature on the front indicators. It’s fitted with twin filament (5/21W) bulbs. The 5W bulbs come on as the sidelights (& hence also with the main lights), but they go out when the indicators are used, so you get a “proper” on/off flash when indicating. I’ve had the bike for 23 years, and occasionally an MOT tester has tried to fail it because of this feature, not that they can identify a specific aspect that it fails on though - they just don’t like it. Always a pita when that happens as they don’t like to be argued with! Never had any problems with the police though.

Ah. Some light evening reading. (Pardon the pun). There'll be an exam in the morning:sleep:

Interesting, I remember reading an American forum a while back where they were bemoaning how crap their vehicles look with the marker lights and discussing whether they could wire them so they worked "euro style". We're never happy with what we've got are we :)

Back