IPhone Bluetooth cutting out and USB not working [Resolved]

JOT6

Hello,

Probably on here already but I can’t find it !
My 2015 T6 Kombi plays music from my phone ok most of the time but I noticed it stops a lot when I’m on king journeys. Not sure if it’s because it’s plugged into charge on longer journeys. Do you think updating the VW head unit software would help (any clues on how to do?)

Also when I try connecting via USB to my iPhone 11 (I think) it says it’s not supported. Once again is this usually a software upgrade issue ?

Any help appreciated.

I can only chip in if you’ve got the Compostion Colour head unit. As far as I know there’s no software update that will enable USB as a music source for iphones. If you find one, I’d love to know! I use BT Audio on iPhone 12, on Qi charging on the mount so charging all the time. Did nine hours driving earlier in the week and was listening to music all the way with no interruption, so it is possible and worth persevering with. BTW I’m a bit of an audio nerd and find the BT audio quality far better than my previous vehicle - good enough not to use the aux input via the lightning connector.

Last edited:
I’ve just driven another couple of hours drive. Perhaps I’ll give up on the USB concept but the Bluetooth bit is puzzling. When it works the sound is great but it must be phone related as it will play a track or two and then only play about 9 secs of the next track. I can skip a few tracks and it will eventually work for one but only plays the start of the others. The music is all pre downloaded which is odd.

Does it happen when you don’t have anything plugged into the phone?

…the theory being the phone thinks it’s plugged into headphones and pauses the BT.

Not Usually although that was on my mind as well so I didn’t charge it at the start of this journey and it did the same. I’ve been using it for shorter journeys to work without issue hence why I had the same theory.

Have you got anything with permission to interrupt the audio stream on and active, like Google maps for SatNav?

It only happens on long journeys which Is when I’m using Waze. I think you are on to something. The sound is turned off in the app but now I’ve googled that specifically I can see other people have had ‘similar’ issues. I’ve tried turning off a few more settings and removed the ability to use notifications to see if that will help. It Feels like this is the problem though! Thanks CJW

Seems to fit what you’re experiencing. You’re welcome and I hope that’s the culprit so you can enjoy your music. Take care.

Just an update on this in case anyone comes across the same issue, I was very angrily turning off notifications etc and got nowhere. Eventually I figured it was nothing to do with the van, it was Spotify. Worked fine in the house and when walking but when playing in the van had the above behaviour.
I found some Spotify threads about clearing cache but opted to remove and reinstall on phone and hey presto it worked,l

Reactions: CJW
Back