Internal or external windscreen blinds

sipep

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all.

Very new to the camping scene... My van is done.. getting ready for my first camp.

Do I want an internal or external windscreen blind? Someone told me the external rub the paint on the Pilar.

Thanks

Reactions: CJW
You got a link to the ones you use?
It’s this one. I’m not saying it’s the best, just the one I’ve got and I’m happy with it. Only minor criticism is the hole reinforcements have rusted, but they’re not noticeable and don’t stain / touch the van. Think I’ll live with it.

There are much fancier ones. Usually at a higher cost.

We have used both, for the whole of last year we ended up using 'fuel lagoons' £90 external cover with the eyes, the Mrs thought it looked cute! Very effective and zero rubbage. The internal variety took up too much room when not in use and was a pain to put up. We don't do cold weather camping, so 'the eyes have it'! We have the thermal as a back up in case wifey decides she actually is a cold weather camper after all. Our winter is for visiting New Zealand she says.

Last edited:
Then when you've been out in the winter with the wind howling through your pop top canvas and the rain battering against it all night, you'll get a thermal cover for that as well!

I use both. I have an insulated external one which is much better for stopping condensation and keeping the light out, but can be a pain if it gets wet, is rather bulky and doesn’t always feel the right thing to use in some locations. I don’t get any rubbing and always tuck it under the wipers to stop it moving in the wind.

The internal ones are good on the side windows but the screen one is a pain to fit and doesn’t work well with my mirror and camera. They also let more light in and don’t do well stopping condensation. They stow easily in the roof, don’t get wet and won’t blow away. They feel a bit more stealthy on occasions.

Which works for you will depend on the type of camping you do, what time of year and how much room you have.

We went internal. They fold up into a bag about the size of an A4 piece of paper. About 5 inches thick. Couple of poppers on A pillar. Magnetic onto door frames. Stay in the van. Dead easy to fit. Less that 5 minutes and they are blackout and thermal. Yes a bit of condensation in the morning but a quick wipe and fan on screen for a few minutes and ready to go. And I don't have to get out in the rain. This is 3pm in the afternoon. Hardly any light past them.

Screenshot_20240221_072508_Gallery.jpg

Back