Interior spotlight comes on by itself

Margo

Hi, I’m a newbie to this forum and also to my T6 only had for about 8 weeks so hoping someone can help me. Noticed just this weekend the interior light above the sliding door has been coming on by itself. Stays on for a while then switches off, but it has happened overnight while parked in the drive. Any suggestions of what causes this?

Post a pic of the light. Is it OEM? Just that light or does the cab light come on too? Have you had any work done to your van?

Sorry not sure what OEM is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ No work has been done. Only had the camper about 8 weeks. Sitting in my sisters van the weekend looking at mine the light kept coming on. The doors where shut. No other lights come on. Thanks for replying

09FD0A13-CFD7-43E6-970D-FFE6382C1998.jpeg

473B883C-B13B-4D52-9083-CDA97162695D.jpeg

OEM is something VW fitted in the factory.

Your light is aftermarket. How do you turn it on?

Ok. It’s pretty likely the light fitting is faulty rather than the wiring. Try giving the metal bit a wipe perhaps there’s something on it triggering it. If not just swap the fitting for another touch light.

If it stays on long enough then eventually it will. Can you turn your interior lights off using the control panel

I had this even with a couple of brand new touch lights. If these are in fact touch switched?

They seem either hyper sensitive to any skin oils etc staying on them or being even fractionally tight in the fitting hole. They either trigger randomly or won’t switch easily or reliably.

Personally the QC on some of them seems poor.

I resorted to mechanically switched ones

Hi, I’m a newbie to this forum and also to my T6 only had for about 8 weeks so hoping someone can help me. Noticed just this weekend the interior light above the sliding door has been coming on by itself. Stays on for a while then switches off, but it has happened overnight while parked in the drive. Any suggestions of what causes this?
Welcome to the forum and T6s pal.
There's nothing that hasn't been discussed and sorted on here...especially with the knowledge of people like @Deaky

I had this even with a couple of brand new touch lights. If these are in fact touch switched?

They seem either hyper sensitive to any skin oils etc staying on them or being even fractionally tight in the fitting hole. They either trigger randomly or won’t switch easily or reliably.

Personally the QC on some of them seems poor.

I resorted to mechanically switched ones
They are touch switch and I can see how oils can get on them especially sun lotion or cooking. I have cleaned them and will see how that goes. Hope it works, if not how do I get them changed to switched ones? Do I have to go back to where I bought it, they are really good but a bit of a trek, or something Halfords could do?

They are touch switch and I can see how oils can get on them especially sun lotion or cooking. I have cleaned them and will see how that goes. Hope it works, if not how do I get them changed to switched ones? Do I have to go back to where I bought it, they are really good but a bit of a trek, or something Halfords could do?
Forget Halfords I wouldn’t let them touch anything of mine personally.

I already have a panel switch which already controls 4 of them just wanted the convenience of switching/dimming individually.

Various camper/caravan/MH suppliers have them, loads on Ebay etc. Depends on how savvy you are with a bit of simple DIY.

You need to drop it out & measure the mounting hole diameter to find which models fit & how the converter has connected the wiring b4 ordering any replacements if you DIY.

how do I get them changed to switched ones? Do I have to go back to where I bought it, they are really good but a bit of a trek, or something Halfords could do?
Think of it like changing a light fitting in your home - if you would you normally call out an electrician, then in this case I’d recommend you defer to either an auto-electrician or a van converter for this.
I’m not sure Halfords would sell something to suit, and even if they did I don’t think they’d fit it for you (as it’s not as simple as a headlight-bulb change, for example).

Where in Essex are you? Let us know so we can give you some recommendations.

They are touch switch and I can see how oils can get on them especially sun lotion or cooking.
As an aside, getting sun-cream on paintwork can cause damage when exposed to sunlight, so make sure you wash your hands in that sink after applying it!!

I’m in Brentwood. No DIY electrical skills in this house unfortunately! We have cleaned the casing and rim and so far so good it’s not coming on without touching it. Overnight will be the test.

Probably an iffy light....

It might need to be swapped out.

Lol.... Yes sorry.

Removed and replaced with a new one.

Those touch lamps are normally connected to a permanent power feed.... Meaning they can be used 24/7.

If the light is a bit iffy and coming on/off on its own.... Then the advise would be to "swap it out" and try a replacement.

Did you get the van converted yourselves? Or buy it fully converted?...

Either way the sellers or converters may be able to help fit a replacement.

If not advise on where to source a replacement.

If not you can get one online and have it fitted.

Back