Insulation: 3 layers?

VinylArchie

T6 Pro
So I see Kiravans and other retailers with an online presence ar punting a sound deadening layer then an adhesive insulator followed by a lofting layer. Surely there is little value to all this when there is so much glass to let the cold through? And as for dodo mat duo for the floor. IS it worth it or is it just going to render my Kombi steps unusable with the extra floor thickness. Was thinking about just laying dodo mat between the ridges?

So I see Kiravans and other retailers with an online presence ar punting a sound deadening layer then an adhesive insulator followed by a lofting layer. Surely there is little value to all this when there is so much glass to let the cold through? And as for dodo mat duo for the floor. IS it worth it or is it just going to render my Kombi steps unusable with the extra floor thickness. Was thinking about just laying dodo mat between the ridges?
I recently used dodo hex mat and super liner for all the side panels and roof and dodo duo for the floor. My main reason is for sound deadening as I’m converting to a kombi so I can’t really speak about the thermal properties.
If I was to do it again I’d use duo everywhere as the liner itself can be very fiddly to work with.
Your correct about duo on the floor affecting your kombi step. Having used duo, 9mm batons, 12mm floor and Altro it did cause me a headache.
Perseverance got me there in the end.
Overall the product is very high quality, the results are great. Would recommend

I recently used dodo hex mat and super liner for all the side panels and roof and dodo duo for the floor. My main reason is for sound deadening as I’m converting to a kombi so I can’t really speak about the thermal properties.
If I was to do it again I’d use duo everywhere as the liner itself can be very fiddly to work with.
Your correct about duo on the floor affecting your kombi step. Having used duo, 9mm batons, 12mm floor and Altro it did cause me a headache.
Perseverance got me there in the end.
Overall the product is very high quality, the results are great. Would recommend
So how did you solve the issue with the step?

..Surely there is little value to all this when there is so much glass to let the cold through?
I guess their view is that you’d use external thermal screens over the weak point that is the glass, in order to keep the warmth in.
..render my Kombi steps unusable with the extra floor thickness.
Depending on the height gained, you could either raise up the step height by laying insulation / timbers under that, or replace it with a taller Caravelle step.

I think the rear kombi mat is shaped to fit in the grooves / ridges, if you fill just these with dodo mat I don't think it will fit as well.

Many just use silent coat (2mm) throughout, and then the mat fits on top still; you can then use the kombi step no issue.

So how did you solve the issue with the step?
I had a standard panel van step so had to order a deeper step anyway. Went for an aftermarket one. As @Ads_Essex said I’d have probably had more room to play with if I’d have gone for a Caravelle one which I believe is the deepest.
Luckily the two lashing points either side of the step pulled the ply down. Then a bit of insulation in the step gully to raise it slightly.

I think the rear kombi mat is shaped to fit in the grooves / ridges, if you fill just these with dodo mat I don't think it will fit as well.

Many just use silent coat (2mm) throughout, and then the mat fits on top still; you can then use the kombi step no issue.
Just reread this thread, I take it you are changing the floor from Kombi mat to a hard floor in which ignore my last comment :rolleyes:

Just reread this thread, I take it you are changing the floor from Kombi mat to a hard floor in which ignore my last comment :rolleyes:
FYI @VinylArchie
I went for a hard floor and used the Kombi rubber floor-mat as an insulation and sound barrier. With 12mm ply, it leaves 2-3mm for flooring to be fitted on top
which brings the floor level up perfectly to suit Caravelle / Cali step, side and threshold trims.

Back