iD phone network any good?

Pewt

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Anyone with Carphone Warehouse iD network ? Looking to get my daughter a new phone and they seem to have the best deals

We’ve both been with them for a few years. Depends where you are. Some places in Scotland coverage hasn’t been too good. They use the 3 network.
But it works great in most places I’ve been. It’s been great for the last few weeks around Europe. They have no roaming charges and I can use my 30gb of data anywhere. For £8 a month can’t complain.
And data rolls over into next month so I usually start a month with about 55gb.

Always bought Amazon renewed phones (go for the ones rated as excellent condition, basically as new), Apple for the ladies in my life and Samsung Androids for me, I can't do Apple 'cos of the girls, I would never have a charging cable! Been with Virgin for years, they've now become O2, £7 a month, unlimited minutes, texts and data. Good abroad, no issues with coverage. Well recommended and considribbly cheaper than a kontrakt.

Have a look at Lebara. Switched to them 18months ago, no complaints. Go via Uswitch for better deals. It’s on Vodafone network, free EU & USA roaming, plus a few others. We pay £8/month unlimited calls/texts/30gb of data, which we never use.

Always bought Amazon renewed phones (go for the ones rated as excellent condition, basically as new), Apple for the ladies in my life and Samsung Androids for me, I can't do Apple 'cos of the girls, I would never have a charging cable! Been with Virgin for years, they've now become O2, £7 a month, unlimited minutes, texts and data. Good abroad, no issues with coverage. Well recommended and considribbly cheaper than a kontrakt.
Myself and brother fell foul of this Virgin swap. Coverage at my house is now i'm on 02 is pretty crap. When we go to the football I've always no service, my brother had until the first week after he swapped to 02. Now same for him. So I'm looking to swap away from 02 and was thinking of iD as they use 3 which my brother was on before.

I seem to recall that Money Savings Expert has a breakdown of most mobile providers and what networks they use - it might be worth having a look and then going to the individual 'coverage checkers'.
Personally, I'll be ditching my BT/EE mobile sim along with the rest of my BT products at some point this year (broadband contract runs until October) as I know I can find cheaper elsewhere. We have another major issue in that every time our power goes out (which happens quite often due to birds flying into the overhead lines), we also lose all the mobile signal - the mast is with the exchange exchange down road and on the same circuit (or whatever its called) as home and when we lose power so does the mast. I'm hoping that switching mobile provider solves that BUT I've really no idea whether the various mobile networks all share the same mast or not.
As an aside, @Drive Wayne is spot on about buying 'renewed' phones from Amazon. I've been doing it for years (and last bought a Samsung S21 each at a knock down price which both looked like new).

I'm hoping that switching mobile provider solves that BUT I've really no idea whether the various mobile networks all share the same mast or not.
Depends on where you are. In high density areas they tend not to share, in more fringe areas it's more common as getting a new mast up is... lots of paperwork.

This website and app (Android only) is a good way of seeing signal strength in various areas and who's masts are around:

Have a look at Lebara. Switched to them 18months ago, no complaints. Go via Uswitch for better deals. It’s on Vodafone network, free EU & USA roaming, plus a few others. We pay £8/month unlimited calls/texts/30gb of data, which we never use.
+1 Lebara........£5 pm, unlimited 6GB plus EU usage at no extra cost

If EE works for you then 1p Mobile is worth a look. £10/month for 25gb, 5g, full network speed, wifi calling, EU roaming, no contract (rolling month)….

@ginkster. Interested to know how much of the 25GB data they allow you to use on EU roaming. The most common limit (inc. BT/EE seems to be 12GB per month but a few are more generous than that I know.

An odd thing about Three, if you go for a contract, you don't get their 'roam at home' functionality, but if you get their pay as you go SIM, you do!? Set up an auto renew and you get bonus data.

Reactions: CAB
@Grim Reaper. But don’t 3 still limit the PAYG sim to 12Gb? I use one of their sims in my van mifi modem and I think that does.

12Gb abroad yes, but I currently get 90Gb a month for £15.
If you have two mobiles in the van that's 24Gb a month, not enough?

To answer your question. I was with iD mobile for ages, no problems. Even worked in Cornwall. Only went to 3mobile cos of the offers. They're all much of a muchness now to be honest. Lebara, lyca et Al and other sim only offerings are OK if you have a handset!! But if you're looking for a phone for your daughter, then iD mobile would fit the bill fine.

@ginkster. Interested to know how much of the 25GB data they allow you to use on EU roaming. The most common limit (inc. BT/EE seems to be 12GB per month but a few are more generous than that I know.
Just had this with ID mobile. Because I joined them before a certain date I can use my whole data allowance while roaming.
So late last week when my phone suddenly stopped working on data, but fine on calls and texts, I spoke to ID online help. He assured me that I had no data limit, still had 35gb of data left and that it was a problem with my SIM card and they had done nothing their end to restrict my data. Even dispatched me a new one and gave me a £5 credit off this month’s bill as the Sim goes to my home address which is no use while I’m in Spain.
Anyway, it just didn’t make sense that a SIM card failed only with data. It was the same in wife’s phone when we swapped so deffo not the phone.
I’ve used her phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot for the last few days.
Today, when my monthly limit renewed, guess what? Yep, my SIM card has ‘fixed’ itself magically and I’ve got data back.
So they did restrict my data limit then categorically denied it to me.
Anyway, this month’s bill is £3 so who cares.

Back