I wish there was a Transporter 6.1 GTE Hybrid PHEV

sw25481

VIP Member
This thread Hybrids! is a few years old and I wonder if opinions have changed? We have a Tesla Model 3 Long Range as our daily driver and would never go back. 10,000 miles in a year and I have never had to charge it anywhere but home. The range is immense, low maintenance, huge torque, never have to queue for fuel but it is not a big car when you have a family of active boys

We need a second vehicle. There needs to be two "mum and dad taxi's" at the weekend now as the boy's football and other sports matches are never at the same place, but more than that I want something I can chuck 4 bikes and 4 people in and not worry about the mud. Bike racks are such a pain when you have 4 mountain bikes, it really puts you off going especially spur of the moment.

So I want a van, probably Kombi LWB, that's why I am here, but I also have the bug. I would love to convert it to a basic camper and then go further afield. I enjoy carpentry, this could be the start of something. I'd get the bikes in behind the R&R in a lwb.

The majority of journeys in a second vehicle will be short except for those few weekends away. I see lots of T6 California's parked up and used the same way, the odd short drive. Sounds like I am going to have all sorts of trouble with the Euro 6 as a result, especially in the winter. I need to be doing longer journeys if I don't want trouble with EGR's, DPF's and regen and we would do those in the car. The wife takes the kids to school every day in the car for example. A petrol van would have been better. We could put up with the consumption on the longer journeys, but VW does not make the TSi any more and I don't want to to put loads of effort into an old van. Right on the edge of London so a Euro 5 is not a great choice and I don't feel good about how much they pollute now we know. I would be happy to go Electric but 56 mph and 80 mile range is a total fail. Needs to be real world 250 at least. Can you imagine how long it would take to get to Wales or France? I am not sure there are enough chargers.

The engine, motor and battery out of the Passat would have been perfect and would have slotted right in. Most of my journeys would be all electric. Dump, hardware store, kids school local shops. When I want to go to Wales, South Coast or Europe it would be no problem with the 1.4l Petrol providing the juice, perhaps the odd charge as well. Even crossing the South Circular would be uneventful with a petrol hybrid. I really want a T6.1 but I am increasingly concerned I may need to make do with something else and put off my build. Perhaps build using the Multivan when it comes out or hope the T6.1 replacement has a PHEV like the Transit or a much longer range electric. I am tempted by the Transit PHEV but I would not be here if I wanted a Transit and they are not cheep.

I’ve got a PHEV as a company car for tax reasons and I quite like it. A lot of my miles are electric and it’s been helpful with the current fuel situation.

We’re going at it the other way around, got a van for long distance and adventures and looking at replacing our current battered old car with an electric vehicle for more local transport.

We’re going at it the other way around, got a van for long distance and adventures and looking at replacing our current battered old car with an electric vehicle for more local transport.
That would be my thinking too

We use either depending on what we're taking with us, if it's bikes or ikea or we're away for a week it's the van, everything else is the tesla. Happily do 500 miles a day in it, weekends away with the little one, prams etc all fit in fine. No fuel tank and no engine means the storage space is excellent for the size of the car :thumbsup:

We use either depending on what we're taking with us, if it's bikes or ikea or we're away for a week it's the van, everything else is the tesla. Happily do 500 miles a day in it, weekends away with the little one, prams etc all fit in fine. No fuel tank and no engine means the storage space is excellent for the size of the car :thumbsup:

Yeah, Model 3 is one option. Our issue is that we have three kids so if we want to use it for anything more than a local run around, it needs to have a pretty wide rear seat. We’ve sat the three of them in a Model 3 and it was a little borderline considering they’re all still growing.

Give it 6-7 years and you may get what you want, but in the meantime, Tesla for the shorter journeys and T6 for the big trips.

Yeah, Model 3 is one option. Our issue is that we have three kids so if we want to use it for anything more than a local run around, it needs to have a pretty wide rear seat. We’ve sat the three of them in a Model 3 and it was a little borderline considering they’re all still growing.
I'd wait and go for the Model Y, that's what we'll get next :thumbsup:

Next Transporter is going to be a Transit, so just wait a bit :eek:

Do you have any trouble only doing short journeys in the T6 or do you do enough long ones to keep it happy?
No issues, it does enough long-ish journeys to keep it right. I have a folding solar panel which keeps the batteries topped up when I know it's going to be parked up for a week or two.

Rest of it is fine, at the end of the day its the same engine as any other vag euro 6, there's millions of them everyday doing the school run and nipping to the shop etc etc

Model 3 owner here also. Would also never go back as I love everything you’ve noted about it. Also home charge primarily but the Tesla network is great for longer trips.

We also have a 2nd car in the family (petrol small SUV) and have recently decided to change it out for a VW 6.1 campervan conversion. Diesel pretty much the only realistic option (we went with a 150bhp DSG) so we will share the Model 3 for most journeys, especially short ones, and use the campervan for weekends and trips. I’ve experienced DPF issues on previous diesel cars with too many short journeys so plan not to repeat this by using the camper regularly for short commutes.

Agree entirely that a Model 3 plus a VW campervan are a great combination for family motoring, practicality and adventures with a touch of environmental goodness.

Model 3 owner here also. Would also never go back as I love everything you’ve noted about it. Also home charge primarily but the Tesla network is great for longer trips.

We also have a 2nd car in the family (petrol small SUV) and have recently decided to change it out for a VW 6.1 campervan conversion. Diesel pretty much the only realistic option (we went with a 150bhp DSG) so we will share the Model 3 for most journeys, especially short ones, and use the campervan for weekends and trips. I’ve experienced DPF issues on previous diesel cars with too many short journeys so plan not to repeat this by using the camper regularly for short commutes.

Agree entirely that a Model 3 plus a VW campervan are a great combination for family motoring, practicality and adventures with a touch of environmental goodness.
The newer DPF protocols are far superior to the older ones. Short journeys matter less, it just gets it done, and fast.

The newer DPF protocols are far superior to the older ones. Short journeys matter less, it just gets it done, and fast.

Good, that’s reassuring. To be fair the most recent diesel I had (Audi A4) before switching to the Model 3 had zero issues with DPF.

Battery weight is the option when converting a van to batteries.

So I think that is the irony. My tiny Tiny Model 3 has a huge battery. It must be a significant part of the overall weight. The same size battery would be a much smaller fraction of a van weight.

I think the real problem is the Van is very inefficient compared with the Tesla unless you measure it on energy per kg of cargo, in which case the van still rocks. The T6.1 will have a drag coefficient much higher than the 0.208 for the Tesla (T5s were 0.33) which significantly increases the power draw at speed, and all that weight uses energy to accelerate in stop start situations (even if a bit is recovered when you brake). That would require a much larger battery for the same range, which a T6.1 size vehicle could handle easily if designed into the floor plan in the same way as electric cars, but that would be ruinously expensive at today's prices, and ironically would add extra weight, which would need more batteries.

Looks like the new T7 will do 50mpg with the petrol engine so clearly there is more they can (and will have to do) to improve the efficiency of commercial vans ahead of the ban on new petrol and diesel engines in 2030 but we also need to hope for cheaper, lighter and more dense energy storage before then and I believe we will rise to the challenge.

Back