I wish there was a Transporter 6.1 GTE Hybrid PHEV

So I think that is the irony. My tiny Tiny Model 3 has a huge battery. It must be a significant part of the overall weight. The same size battery would be a much smaller fraction of a van weight.

I think the real problem is the Van is very inefficient compared with the Tesla unless you measure it on energy per kg of cargo, in which case the van still rocks. The T6.1 will have a drag coefficient much higher than the 0.208 for the Tesla (T5s were 0.33) which significantly increases the power draw at speed, and all that weight uses energy to accelerate in stop start situations (even if a bit is recovered when you brake). That would require a much larger battery for the same range, which a T6.1 size vehicle could handle easily if designed into the floor plan in the same way as electric cars, but that would be ruinously expensive at today's prices, and ironically would add extra weight, which would need more batteries.

Looks like the new T7 will do 50mpg with the petrol engine so clearly there is more they can (and will have to do) to improve the efficiency of commercial vans ahead of the ban on new petrol and diesel engines in 2030 but we also need to hope for cheaper, lighter and more dense energy storage before then and I believe we will rise to the challenge.
The new 'T7' is a MPV, more Sharan than van.

We won't get a proper electric Transporter, we'll have to wait and see what Ford do to the Transit when they put a VW badge on it.

We have a model 3 LR and a T6 kombi day van that I've built myself, it's literally the perfect combination of vehicles :thumbsup:
Snap, we have Floyd the T6 and a BMW 530E, soon to be replaced with a BMW i4 M50, and I can't wait, 546 BHP.

for sale in 2022, based on the current delivery times delivery due 2025!
That should give me time to save up! Also makes me feel a bit less guilty about buying a T6 this week. I got an electric car two years ago and feel like I'm letting the side down by buying another diesel. But if the manufacturers haven't given me a realistic alternative yet, that's their fault, not mine. The van is two years old, so I guess someone else would buy it if I didn't, and I've made a pledge that this is the last fossil-fuelled vehicle I'll ever buy.

That should give me time to save up! Also makes me feel a bit less guilty about buying a T6 this week. I got an electric car two years ago and feel like I'm letting the side down by buying another diesel. But if the manufacturers haven't given me a realistic alternative yet, that's their fault, not mine. The van is two years old, so I guess someone else would buy it if I didn't, and I've made a pledge that this is the last fossil-fuelled vehicle I'll ever buy.

Same here. Also got an EV 2 years ago (love it) but the other family car is being swapped out for a T6.1 camper conversion. It will certainly be the last fossil fuel vehicle I will buy but given all of the issues I noted earlier in this thread I am not feeling remotely guilty about this.

Back