I took the plunge.... 204 TSi (petrol) DSG Kombi!

Peteang

T6 Pro
Well I did it! I Finally got my first Transporter after 15 years of wanting one.
In a last minute decision, I went for a 204TSI (Petrol). It has all the options I wanted but hadn’t really considered the petrol. The price was reasonable when I compared against others.

I love it. The DSG box is smooth and it’s bloody quick. I still have some regret hanging over about the MPG but we’ll see how that goes.

Perhaps a bit of a gamble but I’m hoping the 204TSI might do alright for me and they become a bit sought after due to their rarity. Who knows, but for now I’m just going to enjoy it as a family wagon for some great weekends away. Great to be here.

Last edited:
I had a feeling that might be the response :) I’ll wait until the warranty is up and then make a decision. For now though, I’ll start in some cosmetic mods and interior carpet etc.

I’d be interested to hear your real world mpg after you’ve had it a while. I like the way diesels drive but I don’t like their emissions and was considering a Petrol but they are pretty rare especially as a Shuttle which is what I’ve got.

My mpg has improved from an initial "best" of about 27, to a current "best" of about 30.
Mind you, I've got an LPG conversion on mine, so I don't often use petrol (LPG mpg is about 3-4 mpg less).

How did you get from initial to current? Just practice or actual changes?
Those figures are the best I've seen, so on long motorway cruises with a tailwind. When my van was new and still running in, it didn't really go above 25mpg. But once it had a few thousand miles on it this got better, and a long cruise in good conditions would see 27 mpg. I've now done 20k and don't often drive far on petrol, but I did have an issue with the LPG on a drive back from Bristol (so up the M5/M6 to Lancashire) at about 15k, and it returned just above 30mpg. This was probably with the cruise set to 70 or 75.
I believe the changes are just down to the engine loosening up.

I love the 204 TSI engine though. Had a courtesy 150 TDI Kombi today whist mine was at VW and I missed it massively. Looking at the MPG from today, the guys at VW enjoyed obviously their test run too!
I’ve heard some very positive comments from people who have sold/owned/tested them. Glad to be part of the minority team.

After 6 weeks I’m so so happy with my TSI 204 Kombi, it drives like no other van I’ve driven.

I bought the van from a friend just before they were trading it back into VW for something bigger. I wasn’t even aware of the TSI engine before but price seemed ok (same as VW trade in) and I took the plunge.

Tailgate. Twin sliders. Comfort dash with carpet.

If anyone is considering the TSI, yes they are thirsty but the response is brilliant and great fun when the power is on. I don’t drive it fully loaded, just as a family car and me commuting to/from work. Can’t think of anything better at the moment so looks like it’s a keeper and I’ll start some mods.

I know they are a bit rarer but happy to answer any questions about it if people are thinking about it. I had my concerns at first but they’ve disappeared. More so since getting TDI loan van whilst it was in garage for a service.

I’ll answer the first question for you: I’m getting 25mpg based on at the pump hand calculations currently. Mixture of short (2 miles and hilly) and medium (17 miles) journeys.

After 6 weeks I’m so so happy with my TSI 204 Kombi, it drives like no other van I’ve driven.

I bought the van from a friend just before they were trading it back into VW for something bigger. I wasn’t even aware of the TSI engine before but price seemed ok (same as VW trade in) and I took the plunge.

If anyone is considering the TSI, yes they are thirsty but the response is brilliant and great fun when the power is on. I don’t drive it fully loaded, just as a family car and me commuting to/from work. Can’t think of anything better at the moment so looks like it’s a keeper and I’ll start some mods.

I know they are a bit rarer but happy to answer any questions about it if people are thinking about it. I had my concerns at first but they’ve disappeared. More so since getting TDI loan van whilst it was in garage for a service.

I’ll answer the first question for you: I’m getting 25mpg based on at the pump hand calculations currently. Mixture of short (2 miles and hilly) and medium (17 miles) journeys.

I had the pleasure and thrill of driving Bognormotors TSI for the day.
That thing was mapped up to 300hp with a full exhaust system and I absolutely loved it.
I agree, there really is nothing like the feel of that much power in a commercial vehicle. I'd love one as a toy but I'd loose my license in a month, that is a given.
Still a total hoot to drive and I wouldn't be surprised if the TSI doesn't become a very desirable classic in the future.

Excellent, love mine too.

That's not bad mpg at all, mines only a lowly 150 and struggles to get those figures on short journeys, longer ones it'll do that a tiny bit more maybe. I have achieved just under 32mpg, but that's driving at sub 60mph, all motorway for a sustained period.

Even though mines only a 150 it was pretty quick when it was an empty van, you just need to drive them right. The full conversion and roof etc has taken the edge off a little but will hopefully be going for the re-map by @BognorMotors at some point so should make it a little more interesting :)

I’ve got one which I’m tuning at the moment, 440bho going to be epic, revo Alcan brake upgrade,

Back