How to prevent van body roll when stationary?

I have a 2012 VW T5 Shuttle lwb, with original factory suspension setup on 17" Devonports.

When in it, and the van is stationary, if I move slightly, the van rolls ever so slightly on the suspension, and then corrects itself. Totally normal behaviour. If it were just me in the van, it wouldn't be an issue, but with two kids wiggling around in there too, it doesn't take long before I feel sea sick. What can be done to prevent or reduce this? I plan to fit a pop roof soon, but to be honest I don't see the point in doing so unless I solve this movement problem, as kids wiggling around on top of the van will make the wobbling even worse.

I'm thinking that upgrading the ARB's to H&R's could solve this (with the added bonus of improving handling), and maybe fitting some lowering springs (40mm) could help too?

Really interested to know if anyone else has experienced this issue, whether you've solved it and how? Or opinions on what is likely to reduce this wobble the most.

Cheers

Personally I've never even noticed the van moving when people are in it let alone let it bother me.
However if its really that bad get yourself two small bottle or scissor Jack's and two peices of wood. Place a jack either side of the van on the wood and extend them as if you were lifting the van, stop when there is a small amount of pressure against them, (you're not trying to lift the van).
This should have the same effect as a stabiliser leg on a caravan.

I have a 2012 VW T5 Shuttle lwb, with original factory suspension setup on 17" Devonports.

When in it, and the van is stationary, if I move slightly, the van rolls ever so slightly on the suspension, and then corrects itself. Totally normal behaviour. If it were just me in the van, it wouldn't be an issue, but with two kids wiggling around in there too, it doesn't take long before I feel sea sick. What can be done to prevent or reduce this? I plan to fit a pop roof soon, but to be honest I don't see the point in doing so unless I solve this movement problem, as kids wiggling around on top of the van will make the wobbling even worse.

I'm thinking that upgrading the ARB's to H&R's could solve this (with the added bonus of improving handling), and maybe fitting some lowering springs (40mm) could help too?

Really interested to know if anyone else has experienced this issue, whether you've solved it and how? Or opinions on what is likely to reduce this wobble the most.

Cheers
Hi ....Not had problem ..but have you checked the tyre pressure and if fitted Xl tyres ( extra load on side walls ) Can help....after that it’s down to the suspension components....do you get same issue when driving..( mine is a kombi ) slightly lower’d springs can help ....but if you contact @CRS Performance or @BognorMotors they may offer a better solution.....but failing that strap the kids down ( only joking:rofl:)

Cheers

This issue is normally reserved for large Motorhomes like mine and it drives me nuts. The slightest movement and the whole Motorhome moves, so I get your complaint.

I use these CARAVAN MOTORHOME PLASTIC STABILISING JACK STANDS set of 4 - leveller axle stand 714394750938 | eBay They are cheap and very light, so ideal for a camper, but they should help.

Hi ....Not had problem ..but have you checked the tyre pressure and if fitted Xl tyres ( extra load on side walls ) Can help....after that it’s down to the suspension components....do you get same issue when driving..( mine is a kombi ) slight lower’d springs can help ....but if you contact @CRS Performance or @BognorMotors they may offer a better solution.....but failing that strap the kids down ( only joking:rofl:)

Strapping the kids down or putting them outside had definitely crossed my mind more than once! :)
I don't get the exact same issue when driving, but that said, being original suspension, there is a lot of body roll. Though it is only to the degree I'd expect with a non modified van. Thanks for the suggestions of CRS and Bognor. I'll give them a call.

We had this problem with the van we rented. With the kids in the roof every time my son rolled over the van wobbled (and he seemed to be quite a restless sleeper!). I tried to use the std jack to do as advised above but with just one it didn’t really help. Now we have bought our own and the kids are bigger we plan that they will always sleep outside in an awning. We only managed to get one night away in it before lockdown and only my daughter came with us but I didn’t notice this at all with the 30mm lowered springs I had at the time.

This issue is normally reserved for large Motorhomes like mine and it drives me nuts. The slightest movement and the whole Motorhome moves, so I get your complaint.

I use these CARAVAN MOTORHOME PLASTIC STABILISING JACK STANDS set of 4 - leveller axle stand 714394750938 | eBay They are cheap and very light, so ideal for a camper, but they should help.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets this. I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't require putting jack's and blocks under the van to stabilise. But I'm grateful all the same, as if I can't resolve it otherwise, I'll resort to these stands. Cheers

Air suspension? drop it to the stops when parked up...

We had this problem with the van we rented. With the kids in the roof every time my son rolled over the van wobbled (and he seemed to be quite a restless sleeper!). I tried to use the std jack to do as advised above but with just one it didn’t really help. Now we have bought our own and the kids are bigger we plan that they will always sleep outside in an awning. We only managed to get one night away in it before lockdown and only my daughter came with us but I didn’t notice this at all with the 30mm lowered springs I had at the time.
Interesting. Maybe a bit of lowering could the the answer then.

Cheers
The fitting of springs and anti roll bars wont help as much as fitting a performance shock , Firstly the standard shocks are not stiff enough when moving slowly and a performance shock is much stiffer in slow frequency movements , The anti roll bars might help rocking from side to side but you can also rock the van front to back and anti roll bars cant function in that scenario . Remember the shock absorbers job is to stop or limit movement , a spring cant do this .

Bear in mind we cant stop it altogether , but we can seriously improve it .

Blocking the van up on camp sites will stop movement of course . but you wont get the benefit of a much better riding van in all scenarios

The fitting of springs and anti roll bars wont help as much as fitting a performance shock , Firstly the standard shocks are not stiff enough when moving slowly and a performance shock is much stiffer in slow frequency movements , The anti roll bars might help rocking from side to side but you can also rock the van front to back and anti roll bars cant function in that scenario . Remember the shock absorbers job is to stop or limit movement , a spring cant do this .

Bear in mind we cant stop it altogether , but we can seriously improve it .

Blocking the van up on camp sites will stop movement of course . but you wont get the benefit of a much better riding van in all scenarios
Thanks @CRS Performance. That makes sense to me. I'll give you guys a call.

Back