How easy is it to install a flat pack kit?

dave_b

VIP Member
T6 Guru
How easy are these kits to install?

I presume I would need to build in a solid floor.?

The kit itself looks very way to assemble, but what about fitting to the van? Would it be just brackets to the side frame and floor?

I’m more and more tempted to try and self build.

But I don’t know what electrics I need. I’d want minimal install for a hookup and leisure battery, power for the fridge and a few lights and USB sockets.

So long as you have ‘some’ DIY skills they’re fine to build up and fit. Usually brackets into the sides via rivnuts and to the floor. I’ve never built their kits - just Evomotion ones the instructions for which aren’t particularly great.

Look through the forums and YouTube and there’s plenty info to be found for electrics etc.

yeah, I'm pretty handy with stuff like this, just a numpty when it comes to electrics, so would need a clear list and a wiring diagram to follow.

£632??!! I'm sure you could do a lot better than that even with some well known makes of kit over their unidentifiable stuff.
Bear in mind this doesn't include either solar panel nor leisure battery.

£632??!! I'm sure you could do a lot better than that even with some well known makes of kit over their unidentifiable stuff.
Bear in mind this doesn't include either solar panel nor leisure battery.
Got to kind of agree here. There are many companies out there with quality kit and might be worth having a chat to them if you’re really not sure. Auto & Marine Electrical Components & Accessories | 12 Volt Planet Simply Split Charge Callidus | Motorhome Solar Kits | Off-grid solar Kits are just a few. Try and come up with a simple plan of what you want.

You can also try here they sell full wiring kits etc.

Cheers everyone.

Do fridge units use power from the leisure battery when driving ?

With a decent amount of battery capacity, a well matched DC-DC charger and a reasonably sized solar panel, you will not need to mains power the fridge unless you are stationary in a cave for 2 weeks in the winter.
I can power up my fridge from room temperature a couple of days before setting out on a trip and just use the battery and solar to get it down to temperature.
Anything the fridge uses overnight is replenished by the solar panel before midday most days, before I get up on sunny days. (200W panel 100Ah Lithium battery and a Vitrifrigo TL43 fridge)

Hi @dave_b We have a full camper conversion with fridge and diesel heater and the only electrics we have are a 100ah lithium battery and a 50 amp DC DC charger to charge the battery from the engine whilst driving. We don’t have hook up installed or any solar panels but we could add them later if we want (we would just need to connect them into the charger and job done).

We get four days and four nights out of our electrical system and only needs a 2 Hour drive to charge it fully back up to 100%.

Back