How Do I Value A Vw Conversion.

Monsta

Hi everyone. I am knew to this and still contemplating which VW camper to buy. I have seen lots of really nice ones and they vary in price. How do you know if this price is right for what you get when they are custom built. The prices seem to vary dramatically. I don't want to make a mistake of buying a cheaper one only to find out that you get what you pay for but on the other hand I don't want to overpay for something that isn't worth the money. Basically I'm looking for buying advice. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and massive thanks to anyone with good advice or recommendations on where to buy.

Are you buying from a dealer or private?
I would definitely be buying from a dealer as I would be looking for finance. I have seen some nice ones at all seasons campers in birtley but don't know if they are value for money.

Take a look at the book value of the base van plus how much the conversion costs (it should be easy to identify the conversion company) and the general condition.
At the end of the day it’s only worth what somebody is willing to pay.
Many conversion companies will use a fairly low spec’ van with less equipment options and engine power, you may find you want more optional equipment and power.
From my experience don’t rush into it, it’s worth traveling when you’re spending that kind of money.

Take a look at the book value of the base van plus how much the conversion costs (it should be easy to identify the conversion company) and the general condition.
At the end of the day it’s only worth what somebody is willing to pay.
Many conversion companies will use a fairly low spec’ van with less equipment options and engine power, you may find you want more optional equipment and power.
From my experience don’t rush into it, it’s worth traveling when you’re spending that kind of money.

Test drive a few different base vans without a conversion and see what specification you prefer, then allow for a bit of added weight.

I’m afraid that your question is virtually impossible to answer as there are just so many variables.
The base vehicle for example can go from a basic van without aircon right through to a 4 wheel drive with led lights and all the toys so a huge difference in price before you even begin to think about the conversion.
When we bought our first one we decided that our first priority was after sales service, second was a known established larger converter and thirdly that it was a complete package all done and registered correctly with the DLVA.
We narrowed it down to just three major manufacturers and even then we were overwhelmed with all the permutations/pricing options. It’s so difficult to do price comparisons as they all differ even the same model from the same converter depending on base vehicle/extras so I would suggest you write a list of what is important to you - DSG, diesel heating, SWB/LWB, type of bed....etc and then try to source a vehicle from a shortlist of converters.

Test drive a few different base vans without a conversion and see what specification you prefer, then allow for a bit of added weight.
I called into a complete in Wales when I had s problem on holiday.
The company was newwave custom conversions there workshop was immaculate and all the work was done in house. It definitely wouldn’t be the cheep option but the workmanship was absolutely spectacular.
I agree you need to really think about it as if you miss something you won’t be happy.
In my case DSG, AC, and minimum 150 engine. I missed comfort dash which ended up costing me over £1000 to retrofit as much as I could.
If you spend a bit of time and go through the forum you will see members opinions on options and the cost of retrofitting against the cost of new.

I called into a complete in Wales when I had s problem on holiday.
The company was newwave custom conversions there workshop was immaculate and all the work was done in house. It definitely wouldn’t be the cheep option but the workmanship was absolutely spectacular.
I agree you need to really think about it as if you miss something you won’t be happy.
In my case DSG, AC, and minimum 150 engine. I missed comfort dash which ended up costing me over £1000 to retrofit as much as I could.
If you spend a bit of time and go through the forum you will see members opinions on options and the cost of retrofitting against the cost of new.

I agree, I went to NWCC after visiting four other converters, it wasn’t a hard choice.

Back