Hot water systems

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
With the potential challenges of camping this year I’m thinking of adding a hot water tank to my design. I have a 45ltr under chassis mounted water tank with the filler and a shower outlet that will mounted on the outside.
I don’t want any gas so looking at an electric unit only and maybe break my rule if not having an inverter for when we’re not on electric hook up.
What are you’re experienced? Best solutions? Not being able to get out and atttend shows where I can glean all of this information is tedious!
Thanks
Ollie.

Few ideas here, especially page 2

Pete

Have you got a diesel heater fitted? I'm still learning on here, but my van (currently being done by Three Bridge) has hot water supplied via the cabin heater circuit (Webasto Duo Top), and a shower outlet at the rear.

Three Bridges conversion, envious!!
I live in Milton Keynes, just can't afford their conversions!

I have fitted my own Planar diesel heater, I don't think this has the option for water heating. Thanks for the suggestion though:)

Three Bridges conversion, envious!!
I live in Milton Keynes, just can't afford their conversions!

I have fitted my own Planar diesel heater, I don't think this has the option for water heating. Thanks for the suggestion though:)
Ha! Sold the wife and kids and that only paid for the seatbelts! As each day goes by I find something else to add to the cost, so when they finish in about three weeks I'll have to sell the dog and a couple of kidneys!!:slow rofl:

fitted a surecal 6l calorifier for my sister on her crafter conversion. quality bit of kit with a 12v heater element. easily enough water for 2 hot showers when mixed with cold and the engine running. i wired it so if the engine (not ignition)was running then the heater was on, worked really well.

fitted a surecal 6l calorifier for my sister on her crafter conversion. quality bit of kit with a 12v heater element. easily enough water for 2 hot showers when mixed with cold and the engine running. i wired it so if the engine (not ignition)was running then the heater was on, worked really well.

When you refer to engine running - is that for keeping enough charge in the battery for the 12v immersion?

OK, just checking - Sounds like the perfect setup!
It really was one of the best things about that van. Proper hot and cold water on tap with real pressure from a jabsco parmax water pump. Did have a lot more space than a t6 mind for all the items.

Hi ya.

Did you get anywhere with this? Going to start investigating getting on fitted, just need to make sure i've got enough spare under the van as already have a water tank, LPG tank, heater and the spare wheel.. Think I might have to ditch the spare wheel and buy another can of tyre weld!

We fitted one of the Surecal units mentioned above, works a treat. Shout if you have any queries.

Ignore the circle it’s the only picture I have to hand. I put ours inside along with everything else. It’s all as compact as possible to not take up cupboard space. It does work really well mainly for the shower connector on the back of the unit. HTH

Are you thinking of under mounting it? Never considered that as an option but would certainly save space.

C32E64D8-CA44-4E3A-A2B8-ECA3758B0866.jpeg

Ignore the circle it’s the only picture I have to hand. I put ours inside along with everything else. It’s all as compact as possible to not take up cupboard space. It does work really well mainly for the shower connector on the back of the unit. HTH

Are you thinking of under mounting it? Never considered that as an option but would certainly save space.

View attachment 78181
That setup looks amazing, so very neat and tidy.

Thanks. Yes I’ll be going underslung, want to keep as much cupboard space as possible.

just not sure I will have room underneath.

does it work well? How quick will it heat up if driving somewhere?

Thanks. Yes I’ll be going underslung, want to keep as much cupboard space as possible.

I hope so, the 12v/ 300W coil is connected to the leisure system. As long as you have it switched on and there's power in the leisure battery, (being charged from the alternator), then you'll arrive with 6ltr of piping hot water:)

I will be honest I’m not sure it would be a great fit underslung partly due to the frost risk. My main concern would be the electrical (230v) isn’t IP rated. It might be worth looking at a specific underslung unit if there is such a thing!

230v heats up in 10-15mins, 12v I have never really checked as only set it on for long trips so no gauge on warmup time.

I have one of the 300W 12v only (no AC input) water heaters in my van, inside rather than underslung though, and I love it. 15-20 mins gets you enough hot water for a hot shower, or whatever you want it for, and I run mine either while running (have fitted a switch to the dash so I can start heating without pulling over) but also I run it from the leisure battery while stationary - and it's AGM not lithium, shock horror. It takes a fair chunk of power to do it, and admittedly I have a substantial solar supply, but it heats the water just fine and leaves me plenty of power left for lights/iPad/camera chargers.
Before anyone accuses me of abusing a poor battery, I'd like other offences to be taken into account too :p I also power a 3k inverter for a Tassimo, power a small compressor for bike tyres occasionally, and charge my EMTB too, all off the one 95Ah AGM. It's put up with 3.5 yrs abuse so far, and my view is that even if I had to change the battery every three years I'm ok with that. You don't always need lithium.

Back