Hook-up Cable - Armoured Or Not?

Ads_Essex

Local lowlife
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m considering making up a mains hook-up cable just for home because the run from the external sockets to the van is in between standard cable lengths.

Would I, or should I, use armoured cable?
Could I chop down an old 50m 16a extension reel and just use a section of cable from that?
Do sites have any minimum requirements when it comes to the type of MHU cable that they allow you to use on site?

Any advice welcome.

How long is the run and is it lightly to be driven over ?
If it is just a short run I would use artic flies 2.5 mm as this takes the weather and will last.

Anywhere I've been doesn't give it a second glance as long as it's standard orange hookup cable.

Your orange EHU cable is also handy for outlining your pitch when you nip off site for fish & chips
afro.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers all.

How long is the run and is it lightly to be driven over ?
If it is just a short run I would use artic flies 2.5 mm as this takes the weather and will last.
No, it’s not likely to be driven over, or walked on to be fair.

Anywhere I've been doesn't give it a second glance as long as it's standard orange hookup cable.
Orange is also handy for outlining your pitch when you nip off site for fish & chips
afro.gif

Ah, does orange denote a particular standard of cable, then?

Cheers all.

No, it’s not likely to be driven over, or walked on to be fair.

Ah, does orange denote a particular standard of cable, then?
I believe that standard orange caravan cable is rated to 16A which is required. Not an expert though. I've made my own up before, the terminal plugs are easily available off ebay and then just cut the cable to length.

Armoured cable is totally unsuitable as a temporary hook up cable .....

Armoured cable is totally unsuitable as a temporary hook up cable .....
Mate I wouldn’t know armoured cable from any other, only that it appeared to be something mentioned a lot in external cable runs. Is it not at all flexible enough?

I've been using a 25m hook-up 1.5sq mm cable for years (never draw much more than 2kW), it's yellow as that's what I could get at the time.

It has been run over hundreds of times on all sorts of surfaces and has never come to any harm. I always run it through my hand when winding it up both to clean it and to check for damage just to be on the safe side. If you really intend to power major items then I would advise going to 2.5sq mm cable although most cable size calculations for 25m length at 3kW run in open air say that 1.5sq mm is OK.

As for the colour requirement, that seems to be a stipulation of a few club sites but really does not matter. I use yellow as that was handy at the time that I made it up from a domestic extension reel and is good to identify on site.

Most important rule is NEVER to leave any of the cable in a coil as it can get very hot when a substantial current is drawn through it even to the extent of catching fire.

Going to France and using municipal sites or Aires? Take two leads as power poles are often remote! I know long runs are frowned on here in the UK but are a matter of course in France as are twin or triple adaptors to connect up your neighbour.

Into Europe? Also remember the required adaptors for country specific power outlets as not all are standard blue 16A types that we see here in the UK.

artic flex 2.5mm is best but good luck in standard 13a plugtop. make sure it is rcd/rcbo protected at source or your van will be toast if there is ever an earth fault...........

artic flex 2.5mm is best but good luck in standard 13a plugtop. make sure it is rcd/rcbo protected at source or your van will be toast if there is ever an earth fault...........
The exterior plug is an IP66 one with an RCD built in - assuming this is what you’re warning about?

Do you have an external 16a socket fixed to the house?
If so I would just make up a short extension cable .
If you get stuck I can make one up and send it to you if you want I have loads of cable / pugs, sockets .( no cost)
Just let me know the length and if it’s a 13a plug or 16a plug required.
John

I have the standard orange cable run in the back of my camper, however when parked at home I have a protected cable run across my driveway conditioning my battery and pre-cooling my beer & wine in the fridge before departing at the weekend.
IMG_20190323_134548__01.jpg IMG_20190323_134603__01.jpg It's as flexible as the orange cable but offers some more protection for drive overs and trapping in garage doors etc.

Ooh, Syflex, this is what it would look like if Goodridge made Aeroquip extension leads instead of hydraulic lines, Syflex can be a swine to terminate as that stainless braid always punctures the end of your fingers, gloves or not!

Do you have an external 16a socket fixed to the house?
If so I would just make up a short extension cable.
If you get stuck I can make one up and send it to you if you want I have loads of cable / plugs, sockets (no cost).
Just let me know the length and if it’s a 13a plug or 16a plug required.
John
Thanks for the offer, @Johnod17 - I’ve ordered some male and female plugs / sockets and will make up a cable, but thankyou for the kind offer all the same :thumbsup:

..I have a protected cable run across my driveway conditioning my battery and pre-cooling my beer & wine in the fridge before departing at the weekend.
It's as flexible as the orange cable but offers some more protection for drive overs and trapping in garage doors etc.

Looks tough @Simmo49 - I take it you made that up yourself?

Back