Honest opinion 18" vs 20" for disability multivan

MrDanish

Hello!

Let me start off with the main points.

I am placing an order on my new Starlight Blue VW Multivan Highline this tuesday.

As i am in a wheelchair with muscular dystrophy, ride comfort is a somewhat big concern of mine.

Therefore, what is the views of the people of 18" vs 20" when talking ride comfort?

At the moment, i am looking at either:
18" Ocean Caribien Silver with 255/45/R18 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
20" Ocean Caribien Silver with 275/35/R20 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

i am worried the 275/35 will not have to enough tire to make it comfortable - i also dont want the car to look like its riding on paper thin tires...

also, will either tire screw with the gearbox/Speedo? Will it hit the wheelarches?
This is the first time i will be making changes to my car after i get it, so i am as new to this whole concept of modifying as a human can be... so, please, patience :p

Extra question: is there anything else i should remember, take note of, make sure of, or anything of the like, in regards to purchasing wheels, please do tell :)

Bonus info: i will not be lowering the car, as i will have a wheelchair lift mounted under the car and if i lower it, i am gonna scrape the living soul outta it while driving :p

link to both wheels:
18"
20"

Have a pleasant day!
/Jonas.

Hi Jonas.
I am currently shopping around for alloys myself, and the best tyre size for 20's is 275/40/20's.

I currently have 18" sport line wheels on mine, but for me they are just not big enough; 2 inches makes all the difference!!!;).

However, that said, you may find the ride on a set of 20's is too hard. Perhaps it may be worth looking at a set of 18's and dropping the ride height. Whilst that will stiffen the ride up, it takes the wallowyness out.

Whichever way you go, enjoy your van.

Hi Jonas.
I am currently shopping around for alloys myself, and the best tyre size for 20's is 275/40/20's.

I currently have 18" sport line wheels on mine, but for me they are just not big enough; 2 inches makes all the difference!!!;).

However, that said, you may find the ride on a set of 20's is too hard. Perhaps it may be worth looking at a set of 18's and dropping the ride height. Whilst that will stiffen the ride up, it takes the wallowyness out.

Whichever way you go, enjoy your van.
Oh and also make sure that the hub pattern is 5x120

I read on the forum here, that 275/35/20 is the one that matches the original diameter, so that the gears recives the least punishment? was that wrong?

I currently have 18" sport line wheels on mine, but for me they are just not big enough; 2 inches makes all the difference!!!;). However, that said, you may find the ride on a set of 20's is too hard.

That is also my concern :D but as i am in a bit of a unique situation, i have to consider other factors with higher priorities rather than just looks. Unfortunately.

Perhaps it may be worth looking at a set of 18's and dropping the ride height. Whilst that will stiffen the ride up, it takes the wallowyness out.
Bonus info: i will not be lowering the car, as i will have a wheelchair lift mounted under the car and if i lower it, i am gonna scrape the living soul outta it while driving :p

I would like to lower it, but if i do, there will be no room for the wheelchair lift under the car. Unfortunatly.

But thank you for your opinion!

Is the difference between 20's and 18's really noticeable? as in, big time?

EDIT: The rims are 5x120, so thats cool :) Thanks.

I definately run 275/35/20 over 275/40/20. 275/40 is massive it will be heavier too as 20s are already heavy. more Tyre won't help. However allot of people do use that size without issues. I think it just to big though.

Also 275/35 is still a big Tyre wall. It's the same Tyre wall size as the standard 215/45/17 allot of cars use.

I have ran all of the wheel sizes from 16s all the way up to my current 20s.

Wheel/tyre size hasn't really impacted on ride comfort. Suspension and make of the tyres makes a much much bigger difference.
The bilsteins b14s are so much more comfortable than the stock suspension yet firm in corners. For tyres find a good soft Tyre like uniroyal rainsport 3 or kumho ecsta le sports.

However with the lower profile Tyre you feel the potholes and ruts more as vibrations but not uncomfortable.

If worried why not try 275/40/19. Identical to 275/35/20.

The 275/40/20 is still in the correct percentage of the original size. As I have a T32, I have been told that in order to get a high enough load rated tyre it has to be the 40 profile as the 35 profile is not made with a higher index then 102xl (850kg) when each corner has to be 860kg.
I was talking to a tyre supplier this morning and this is what he told me. Who knows if it sales crap.
My 18's are ok - but they just aren't 20's! Totally get that you need a functional vehicle. Why not get air ride? Then you could lift it and lower it!!!!!!!

I definately run 275/35/20 over 275/40/20. 275/40 is massive it will be heavier too as 20s are already heavy. more Tyre won't help. However allot of people do use that size without issues. I think it just to big though.

Also 275/35 is still a big Tyre wall. It's the same Tyre wall size as the standard 215/45/17 allot of cars use.

I have ran all of the wheel sizes from 16s all the way up to my current 20s.

Wheel/tyre size hasn't really impacted on ride comfort. Suspension and make of the tyres makes a much much bigger difference.
The bilsteins b14s are so much more comfortable than the stock suspension yet firm in corners. For tyres find a good soft Tyre like uniroyal rainsport 3 or kumho ecsta le sports.

However with the lower profile Tyre you feel the potholes and ruts more as vibrations but not uncomfortable.

If worried why not try 275/40/19. Identical to 275/35/20.
Ratty, as the man in the know on tyres, is what I have been told today a pile? I.e the highest load rating on the 275/35 is 102xl? From looking on the net it appears that 100xl equtes to 800kg, and each digit increase equals an additional 25kg, therefore a T32 requires a minimum of 103xl to give 875kg as the wheel needs to be 860kg.

I had 20s on my T5 and wouldn't Again! So choppy the ride was! Stick with 18s

Have just been on the 'love tyres' website, and it appears as though I was correct in my understanding that you can't get more than a 102xl load rated tyre in a 35 profile which is insufficient for a T32; got to go for a 40 profile then you can get a 106xl which is 950kg rating.

Stick with the 18's,

I'm a Para and the 17 inch steelies on my T6 are ok, 20's will just stuff your back

I'll be fitting the Braun K90 side door lift in a few weeks to make it easier to get into, and then i'll be lifting it with Seikel lift kit.

Mine is going to be a camper and lifted for mild offroad use, and lowering it would be an issue for ripping or damaging the lift.

When I picked mine up yesterday wth the standard 17's, I mentioned to the dealer that I had coilovers and 18's to go on as soon as I got it home and he said that it was a good job as 20's could definitely void the warranty on the gearbox as so much heavier.

275/40/20 isn't the correct size. It's oversized. Even 275/35/20 is oversized.
Compare it's overall diameter to 255/45/18 on the sportline. The 275/35 is 14mm bigger the 275/40 is 41mm bigger. That's huge.
Yes you are right the highest load rated tyre is 102y which is 850kg per corner. That's perfect for a t32 as the tyres can hold 3400kg combined.

As said tyres and suspension make the difference. I have no choppy ride on 20s it's way more comfortable than the 235/55/17 I had with vmaxx suspension.

Stick with the 18's,

I'm a Para and the 17 inch steelies on my T6 are ok, 20's will just stuff your back

I'll be fitting the Braun K90 side door lift in a few weeks to make it easier to get into, and then i'll be lifting it with Seikel lift kit.

Thank you to all who has replied! Great info from all! The one comment that made up my mind tho, is Bryn23, as he can tell me specifically in regards to comfort when dealing with a disability.
So, i am going to go with the 18" Ocean Caribien Silver with 255/45/R18 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

Thank you all, you have been a great help!

Purely personal choise, a lot of people go for 20" but VW only make 18" wonder why? bigger you go stone down comes the section till it's almost rubber bands on the wheels. I have the new Sportsline wheels on mine but I did like the look of Wolfrace assassin's.
You have my sympathy on what you have as my son's suffers from it as well and I dread the day he ends up in a wheelchair. Still there is hope of cures everyday

Got 103xl tyres on my 18" sport lines that it rolled out of the VW dealership on, so won't be going lower rating than that. A 102xl may give 850kg for the wheel, however the T32 is 1700 on the front axle (so the 850kg tyre is perfect) however the rear axle is 1710, so needs 855kg per tyre. It may only be 5kgs per rear corner but the MOT tester is unlikely to see it that way, or the vehicle examiner after a serious collision. Personally I won't take that risk. May have to rethink the whole wheel and tyre option thing.

Got 103xl tyres on my 18" sport lines that it rolled out of the VW dealership on, so won't be going lower rating than that. A 102xl may give 850kg for the wheel, however the T32 is 1700 on the front axle (so the 850kg tyre is perfect) however the rear axle is 1710, so needs 855kg per tyre. It may only be 5kgs per rear corner but the MOT tester is unlikely to see it that way, or the vehicle examiner after a serious collision. Personally I won't take that risk. May have to rethink the whole wheel and tyre option thing.

Very interesting point Dave, i have not looked at the tyre weights yet as i was to busy looking at getting the correct rims first.

Mine states 1720 rear on my T32 :unsure:

20170319_165711.jpg

Very interesting point Dave, i have not looked at the tyre weights yet as i was to busy looking at getting the correct rims first.

Mine states 1720 rear on my T32 :unsure:

View attachment 6158
Exactly @StudleyGlass, take a look at my comments on this thread, and it will tell you everything that I have managed to figure out thus far, but IMO can't go lower than a 103xl tyre.
a 100 rating is equivalent to 800kg, and each digit increase equates to an additional 25kg loading. PM me if you want to discuss specifics.
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/honest-opinion-18-vs-20-for-disability-multivan.2005/

Always been 103 on a T32, the reason I wanted a T30, mind you all the tyres I have ever bought for T6 and T5 have been 103's. I thought having 18's would be a lot cheaper too, but there's not much difference to 20's.
I had the chunky 275/40/20 on the T5, massive and heavy and gearing not quite right. Sticking to 18's this time and B14's eventually to cope with the twisty roads around North Wales, which I'm my opinion look good.

Back