Holy Regeneration Batman

RattyMcClelland

Chipsaway - South Nottingham
T6 Legend
Long euro 6 rant warning.

Well i always know when the van is regenerating. The throttle goes lumpy at low revs/speed due to the retarded timing and turbo boost threshold takes that bit longer to come it. Then the gale force winds when the engine turns off mid way through a regen and the high idle.
Anyway on friday at the end of my week it started its regen right after i go off the main a46 and come into stop start traffic in loughborough. Thanks for that VW, couldnt do it whilst i was doing 70 on the a46.

Anyway over the weekend i dropped my fiancee to work several times in the weekend. This is a 3 mile round journey in stop start traffic and it was cold. It forced regened as soon as i turned the engine on stone cold. Not unheard off as its continuing the programme.
It continued the regen without fail all weekend, engine getting up to temp very quickly due to the force retarted timing even in the cold 5 deg c temps. Engine was a pig to drive.

Then comes today...Monday. Off to work to Nottingham i go. 25miles drive to get there including 10miles on the a46 at 70mph and much country roads, 15miles pootling around Nottingham working then 25miles drive back home again on the a46 at 70mph.

It continued the regen at every moment without fail. It felt like a petrol with all the engine breaking i felt due to lumpy throttle and lack of response, felt worse than ever actually. Diesels dont engine brake like petrols. Horrible to drive.
MPG on the MFD2 went from 31mpg on friday to 26mph today right at the end of the tank.

I filled up a full tank and its still regenerating. 24.8mpg on the last calculated tank. Worst ever, 330odd miles to the 70litre tank.

So i work it out at 80miles plus on a single regen and it will continue tomorrow on the way to nottingham.

Its a joke. I hate these Euro 6 engines.

I have not notice any difference in mine when driving if it is doing a regen i cant tell , maybe its me :confused:. It has left the fans running on the odd occasion when i have got home or to work but not often. I only go to and from work really at the moment in it (20mins) so maybe that is the reason ?
Is it not worth taking it to the stealers to be checked @RattyMcClelland

It's quite typical symptoms, I have driven other vw diesels that do it.

I can't believe you don't notice it. At least twice per tank and a tank lasts 6 days in my van.

Can't go to the dealer as I'm always flat out, it's out of my way and it's usually a 4 week wait to book in so pointless.
It's just euro 6 regen. It's crap. I hate diesels. Never again will I own one.

I also despise the EU6 engine in my T6 for all the same reasons.

I hope, in the future, that someone will do an easily transplantable, high power petrol engine that will drop straight into the T6.

You'll get loads of power for the same fuel economy.

Its a retched engine compared to the Renault 1.6 biturbo engine in my Vivaro which is the same power and returns nearly 10mpg more whilst hauling a 500kg greater load. ( yes, the rest of the Vivaro is not in the same league as the T6, but it was half the money ).

You know mine was doing it all day yesterday, a trip to Bath and back and round to Bristol a good 45 mins on the mway each way and still doing it when I got home...

That is why they have failed the real world emissions tests due to the regens happening too often and throwing up the Nox.

Now the latest is no more 204s after May for M1 class at least. The 150kw will be 146kw for my19.

I have not notice any difference in mine when driving if it is doing a regen i cant tell , maybe its me :confused:. It has left the fans running on the odd occasion when i have got home or to work but not often. I only go to and from work really at the moment in it (20mins) so maybe that is the reason ?
Is it not worth taking it to the stealers to be checked @RattyMcClelland
I am the same, never notice it.

Often thought why the driver can’t force a regen when you know it’s an ideal situation ie long trip down a motorway. As mentioned not great timing when it decides to start on the school run :mad:

Interestingly mine didn't seem to have done a regen for ages, and then yesterday it was doing it all day! Perhaps VW has programmed all vans to go regen crazy on 4th Feb :)

Actually I had been fitting the new headlights so starting the engine very briefly to turn the wheels from lock to lock and wondered if this had upset it.

I can never tell when its doing it, makes no difference to how it drives. I have wondered why it sometimes regens as I get out after a 30 mile trip on motorway.

Yes it knocks the mpg but on a full tank im getting 550 miles everytime and only notice at most 1 regen.

Other than (in my mind) bad mpg at high speeds I have no beef with the engine at all.

204 DSG. Never notice any difference with the drive but I am aware most of the time when it is happening by the extra noise. Anyway, it used to do it 1 to 2 times per tank full. Lately, it has been doing it loads so I have been keeping a record. It is very consistent at every 130 miles which just seems way to often.

Ad-Blu. I have had the 1500mile warning before and only a couple of weeks ago it was saying 3500 from empty. Tonight I started it up, after a 10 minute stop on a warm engine and the warning light, message and noise all came up telling me it will not start soon and 650miles to go.

Question. Does it use the Ad-Blu all the time (as I thought) or only when regenerating as this would explain the very fast drop in level.

I got rid of my T5 because of the extreme and nonsensical regens. This was 10 years ago and VW didn't know what was happening either. But now in my euro 5 T6 (140) I have yet to even notice a regen after nearly three years and 55k on the clock.

Reactions: DXX
Topped the tank up today with 8 litres but still have same warning. So looks like a stealer visit required.

This is the only reason I went for an older Euro 5 T6, all the regen's and Ad blue rubbish you guys tolerate would do my head in!

Question. Does it use the Ad-Blu all the time (as I thought) or only when regenerating as this would explain the very fast drop in level.
Hooked the VCDS to record NOx sensor (IDE09017) and AdBlue injection quantity (IDE11219). It seems that the engine turns off AdBlue injection during regen. And, thus the NOx levels were significantly higher during regen.
Obviously need to have a few more runs...

This is the only reason I went for an older Euro 5 T6, all the regen's and Ad blue rubbish you guys tolerate would do my head in!

So I'm not the only one that specifically wanted a euro 5 over a 6 then! :thumbsup:

Having had a Euro 5 engine again to run around whilst my euro 6 being repaired. I would take a Euro 6 any day or the week. It's so much more refined. Very quiet, sounds better and old skill power delivery like the older Euro 4 pd engines.
I was shocked how much difference there was.
Both were highlines and 140/150ps models so very comparable.

Having had a Euro 5 engine again to run around whilst my euro 6 being repaired. I would take a Euro 6 any day or the week. It's so much more refined. Very quiet, sounds better and old skill power delivery like the older Euro 4 pd engines.
I was shocked how much difference there was.
Both were highlines and 140/150ps models so very comparable.

Might that be because your van is remaped though? That often improves how smoothly the engine runs.

I haven't driven a euro 6 T6 so can't compare but given the common complaints of excessive regens and poor economy (I imagine most are probably a function of how the owner is using the van), I'm happy with the euro 5.

Last edited:
Regeneration seems to happen less on now we have had it for just under a year and 11,000 miles. Or maybe I am just getting used to it.

No denying the euro 6 is great to drive, had a 150 on loan while mine was having warranty work done and I was impressed both at power and economy. That said the other things out way the positives and I’ll stick to my euro 5...... for now...

Back