Is there a way to turn off regen without a map after DPF delete?

RattyMcClelland

Chipsaway - South Nottingham
T6 Legend
I'm getting sick of 27mpg. After 65k miles I can get 35mpg easily but as soon as it starts regens the fuel level drops and mpg drops off a cliff and it lasts for a good 35miles 3 times per tank. VW cannot find anything wrong.
Don't get me started on the lumpy throttle driving during a regen around town.
It's been Pendle mapped and I'm think of deleting the DPF (hollow it out) and turn off the regen
Can this be done with Vagcom messing with the pressure values?
I'd assume most remap companies Inc pendle will want to remap it again.

I think the big risk of tampering with the dpf comes at MOT time. If it's detected that's a fail.
I know it might not be detected, but if it was that's a big expense to put right. If it failed because of that you'd have a permanent blot on your MOT history for any prospective future buyer to see, which would be a bit off putting. (I always look at the MOT history before I buy any second hand vehicle, I guess some others do too.)
I feel your pain, it sounds like a real PITA, but I wouldn't physically change the dpf.

I'm not worried about MOT, I did the delete on my T5.1 without issues plus one of my cars runs a decat and is from 1996 and the MOT love it as they can't sus it out being an import. Plus my other car is a 2016 import and they can't sus that out either. Not emissions info.

You will be lucky to get an answer on here, think your best bet is contact Pendle or Darkside as they seem to do DPF deletes,While you are talking to Darkside see if they will delete it on my car as it’s at the garage again for dpf blockage, second time in 5 weeks:mad:

If you want to have a look at your regens and have a Carista dongle and Android phone or table you can run the VAG DPF app. I use it on my euro 5 140 and l can see it filling and all regens. If I am running on the motorway at 60 to 70 mph it will go down very slowly. If I just do my 70 mile round trip to work it never fills up. If I drive around town with a cold engine it fills very first. I only get 200 miles between regens. You can get the free version just to make sure it works with your engine. I have done 56000 miles and it is 25% full with ash so this does not help as I only have 75% to fill with soot each time . Have a go it is very interesting mine can regen in 10 miles if driven correctly never lift off throttle with it in gear coming to a stop just put it in neutral and let it tick over and you can see the exhaust temp stay up.

I do think VW should give visibility of regen status (like adblue). If I was nearing home and got the regen imminent warning I’d go the long way and hold in a lower gear to get some heat in.

I let mine finish when I get home if its still regenerating.

I can't tell if it's regenerating. I do a mixture of driving, anything between 2 miles and 30 miles, all sorts of roads, and I don't thrash it. But I've never been aware when it's doing its thing! As Paynewright says, I wish there was a discrete light on the dash to let me know, then I'd let it finish like you do. I've never noticed the idle speed raised or any other sign.

Reactions: CAB
Only telltail I’ve read about is stop / start wont shut engine down and tickover at 1k RPM.

If you want to have a look at your regens and have a Carista dongle and Android phone or table you can run the VAG DPF app. I use it on my euro 5 140 and l can see it filling and all regens. If I am running on the motorway at 60 to 70 mph it will go down very slowly. If I just do my 70 mile round trip to work it never fills up. If I drive around town with a cold engine it fills very first. I only get 200 miles between regens. You can get the free version just to make sure it works with your engine. I have done 56000 miles and it is 25% full with ash so this does not help as I only have 75% to fill with soot each time . Have a go it is very interesting mine can regen in 10 miles if driven correctly never lift off throttle with it in gear coming to a stop just put it in neutral and let it tick over and you can see the exhaust temp stay up.
You have a euro 5 though. Much better. I had a t5.1 for 5 years and smashed 35mpg all day long on that over 150k miles.
I have carrista and being monitoring it for the past few years on my 2016 150 euro 6.
The Euro 6 engines don't passive regen like the euro 5 did. They do a forced regen every 100-150miles.
A regen lasts 30miles on average for me. I regularly do 70mph for 10miles at least 3 times a week.
I just want to delete the DPF and turn it off. I'm sure im doing way more damage to the environment burning so much fuel vs particulates.

Don't do that. You do more damage as the engine isn't under load and you get no airflow to cool things. You use more fuel too.

Very easy to tell if it's regenerating. The fuel rail sounds like a huge fan of you know what a high pressure fuel rail sounds like on diesels, lumpy throttle and delayed turbo response due to the retarded timing.

You have a euro 5 though. Much better. I had a t5.1 for 5 years and smashed 35mpg all day long on that over 150k miles.
I have carrista and being monitoring it for the past few years on my 2016 150 euro 6.
The Euro 6 engines don't passive regen like the euro 5 did. They do a forced regen every 100-150miles.
Ah, I didn't know that they functioned differently, every day's a school day on here. Thanks!
Last Autumn when I was looking for a T6 I actually wished that my budget would allow me to get the van I wanted with a EU6 engine because I'd heard it was more refined. Now I'm glad I ended up with an EU 5 engine.

Reactions: DXX
Ah, I didn't know that they functioned differently, every day's a school day on here. Thanks!
Last Autumn when I was looking for a T6 I actually wished that my budget would allow me to get the van I wanted with a EU6 engine because I'd heard it was more refined. Now I'm glad I ended up with an EU 5 engine.
Yep the euro 6 is was more refined and better power delivery.
The Euro 5 is much more economical and waaayyyyy more reliable. The Euro 6 is a huge unreliable hateful turd. I ordered a euro 5 and the wait for so long in 2016 I was changed to a euro 6. Gutted.

Don't do that. You do more damage as the engine isn't under load and you get no airflow to cool things. You use more fuel too.

Very easy to tell if it's regenerating. The fuel rail sounds like a huge fan of you know what a high pressure fuel rail sounds like on diesels, lumpy throttle and delayed turbo response due to the retarded timing.
Vw assist tech did it outside my house, he said it’s fine you don’t need any load. You have to have bonnet closed so the fan can do its thing if it needs to.
when you pull up the rpm is yearly at 1000rpm and you just raise the RPM to just over 1600 and when it completes the engine tone improves.
you use more fuel anyway cos the process involves injecting fuel into the exhaust stroke to raise the DPF inlet temp to 600deg.
once it finishes I just let it idle for a couple on mins and then turn off without the fans going mad as it was able to cool down and not get switched off right when it was at max temperature.

VW assist will force a regen on the drive like any other dpf tech with VCDS but I mean the 3 regens that happen per tank as normal.
Far easier and more fuel efficient to continue the regen on the next journey this way you get no dpf hot spots and more load and exhaust flow.

But if I knew the regen had started I’d just continue the journey. The annoying thing is that ofter I’ve just arrived home after a long journey for it to regen on the drive after I turn off!

Well Ratty i was having the same problem as you.
i tend to know when mine is in regen with the 150 miles range as does it twice per tank and around town the gear change notifier on the display seems to be more sensitive
It could sometimes regen for about 30-45 miles
know i have got it down to an average of about 16 -20
How i do it now and tell me please if this is wrong, when in regen i tend to keep it at 2000 revs in 4th gear and sometimes 3rd gear when around town.
After about 15 miles i coast it in neutral for a couple of seconds to see if still in regen being near to the 1000rpm and if so i just floor the throttle around to 5000 and the regen finishes instantly. If it doesn’t I try again a mile or so later and then it always normally finishes on the second attempt.
if doing a regen just nearly by home i dont worry about it and for some reason when starting it up the next day i can finish the regen with just about another 8-10 miles doing it how i do it.
i was getting paranoid with it at first but this method really works and I don’t worry about it now,try it!!!!
Some people wont believe me but honestly works!!!
my only concern would be if it was harmful flooring it to 5000rpm for a split second????

Same here, I got a Euro5 as that was the van I looked at and decided to buy, so glad. I made a point of proving the van for a few months before investing in converting.
I have a feeling if I’d got a Euro6 I might well have sold it again and bought something completely different.....even a Transit.

Back