Hit a speed bump and van shut down and came to a stop. Scan shows numerous module communication errors.

can you drive the fuel lift pump? from VCDS?

that might tell if you have power to the fuel pump.

No I can’t communicate with the fuel lift pump in basic settings. It gives a communication error.
As a test I tried many other test functions in basic settings such as swirl flaps and plenty of others and it won’t communicate with any tests.

I’ve removed and checked and refitted all the fuses in every fuse box except the big midi jobs under the battery-I just gave those a visual inspection.
My next job is check the fuses again in the engine fuse box and substitute for brand new ones. Then it’s double seat and swivel out and a full check of all the connections under the seat.
My problem is that I don’t have anything to test electrical circuits so it’s visual checks only.
Those are tomorrow’s jobs.

you 100% defo need a multi-meter to test for 12v or battery voltage everywhere.

visual inspection is great. . . .but you need a meter to prove power is at the fuses etc.

Amazon same day / next day?

under £10

1702045341693.png

post pics of your starter battery connections to. . .

have you got a jump lead set?

to check if the main chassis ground connection is good?

connect a jump cable to battery NEG and the other end to the engine block or van chassis. . .

have you checked the BCM (inc CAN GATEWAY) plugs are locked in and connected?

up above the peddles . . . .

1702045630785.png

im still thinking something has come disconnected from the knock of the speed bump.

im still thinking something has come disconnected from the knock of the speed bump.
Yeah so am I. It’s too much of a coincidence.
I’ll try the jumper cable battery neg to block and as I’ve already got all the lower dash off it should be easy to check the bcm connections too.

Thanks for all the suggestions Lee I’ll give an update tomorrow after I’ve done all the stuff Ally has planned for us.

yep totally,

i love a challenge . . . .

especially one where i cant even see or touch the van lol . .

lucky you have time in your very busy work schedule to spend 5mins with the van now and again. .. :whistle:

+++++

we need the Big Orange Bus running asap - life wouldn't be the same with out your Pizza skills and oven.

+++++

Yeah so am I. It’s too much of a coincidence.
I’ll try the jumper cable battery neg to block and as I’ve already got all the lower dash off it should be easy to check the bcm connections too.

Thanks for all the suggestions Lee I’ll give an update tomorrow after I’ve done all the stuff Ally has planned for us.
Not been sleeping well since you had your issue! Any further forward? Desperate for sleep.....

Not been sleeping well since you had your issue! Any further forward? Desperate for sleep.....
No update really. Had a busy weekend, spoken to a couple of local auto electricians that don’t want to take the job on.
Might be getting a multi meter at this rate and watching some YouTube vids on how to follow wiring diagrams.
It’s all fun.
Cheesy mushroom pizza creation is, thankfully, unaffected by this electrical glitch.

No update really. Had a busy weekend, spoken to a couple of local auto electricians that don’t want to take the job on.
Might be getting a multi meter at this rate and watching some YouTube vids on how to follow wiring diagrams.
It’s all fun.
Cheesy mushroom pizza creation is, thankfully, unaffected by this electrical glitch.
So glad to hear....about the pizza of course. May the gods of electrickery smile on you! Another sleepless night!

Anywhere nearer to finding a solution Si?
Not yet Rob. Got a new number to try for a mobile auto electrician who does this kind of work. After that I’ll just get it booked into the garage for the new year and accept that it’ll be a couple of months off the road.
If that’s the case then during the wait I’ll be buying a decent multi meter and watching some self teach fault-finding videos and spending that time wisely.
I’ve just put a new starter battery on as mine was the original efb from 2017 and was knackered anyway. At least I’m eliminating one possible problem and starting with a known good.

Not yet Rob. Got a new number to try for a mobile auto electrician who does this kind of work. After that I’ll just get it booked into the garage for the new year and accept that it’ll be a couple of months off the road.
If that’s the case then during the wait I’ll be buying a decent multi meter and watching some self teach fault-finding videos and spending that time wisely.
I’ve just put a new starter battery on as mine was the original efb from 2017 and was knackered anyway. At least I’m eliminating one possible problem and starting with a known good.
What a nightmare Mate. I wouldn't know where to start. Have any other Forum techies looked at your scans? I am surprised this hasn't cropped up before! Good luck with your search with the multi meter.

What a nightmare Mate. I wouldn't know where to start. Have any other Forum techies looked at your scans? I am surprised this hasn't cropped up before! Good luck with your search with the multi meter.
Mr. Dav-Tec has been great at pointing me towards things to check but I’ve exhausted my DIY skills. I’ve got a guy recommended to me who’s coming to take a look between Xmas and new year hopefully.

Quick update on this.

I put a new battery on just before Xmas-no change to the problem.

Had an auto electrician turn up today. Scan showed same probs I had, he cleared them annd they didn’t come back and all my electrical gremlins were gone.
We could run the lift pump from his diagnostics etc.
Ran lift pump several times to prime system and van still wouldn’t start, showing low fuel pressure at rail.

I later decided to use vcds to check the live measuring block for the fuel pressure.

Anyway, as I turned the van over the fuel pressure could be seen increasing and then the van miraculously restarted.
I presume that there was still a little air to bleed from the fuel line.

It’s been stopped and started and driven without issue since.

A bit worrying that this could happen again if I hit a bump again as we’ve not actually ‘FIXED’ anything.

Back