High top conversion instead of pop-top?

Ann

Has anyone had a Hightop put on a T6 LWB? We’re thinking of having an Ergoline Hightop put on ours instead of a poptop. We’ve had enough of putting top up and down in our current van, and want to try a permanent Hightop on our next van.

Have you considered a larger high top van like a crafter/fiat? Would probably be a lot cheaper. With fixed high top T6 you've lost any advantage over a standard panel van conversion. Also think about resale value when you come to sell. Suspect there is very limited demand for fixed high top T6's.

Have you considered a larger high top van like a crafter/fiat? Would probably be a lot cheaper. With fixed high top T6 you've lost any advantage over a standard panel van conversion. Also think about resale value when you come to sell. Suspect there is very limited demand for fixed high top T6's.
It’s my every day drive. We did consider a crafter but too big for me, parking up would be an issue on our street. We are fair weather and the odd weekend campers. We only ever use our pop top on campsites. Found it a nuisance having to pull it down if we needed to go off site for the day. Also, we do a lot of days out and the fixed Hightop would suit our needs when parking up, not having to put pop top up. We’ve had our current T6 for four years, and realise what we would like in our new van. We custom convert it, rather than off shelf layout. Only the two of us.

If it's a daily driver, wouldn't the high top be a problem with height restrictions? Car park barriers etc...

If it's a daily driver, wouldn't the high top be a problem with height restrictions? Car park barriers etc...
No, it wouldn’t. We live in town where there is a height barrier car park but we’ve never had to use it. Plenty of parking without height barriers. In the four years we’ve travelled about in it, we’ve rarely had to use height barrier car parks. Definitely not an issue for us.

High-tops while being an acquired taste are brilliant when you are inside the van, more room, quieter insulated. Etc. they do have their down sides however.

We’ve fitted a few SCA high tops and yes they are cheaper roofs, the delivery is very expensive so overall not much different. That said we mainly fit pop tops now…. :)

All the best, Ian

High-tops while being an acquired taste are brilliant when you are inside the van, more room, quieter insulated. Etc. they do have their down sides however.

We’ve fitted a few SCA high tops and yes they are cheaper roofs, the delivery is very expensive so overall not much different. That said we mainly fit pop tops now…. :)

All the best, Ian
We didn’t like look of high tops a few years ago, and went for the streamlined look with a HiLo roof. However, after camping in one for four years, we really don’t care about the look anymore. Our comfort is more important. We’re considering a Reimo Ergoline. We can fit a foldaway bed platform up there for when we take out Grandson with us. We’ll have a rear slide out platform bed below for us :)

Here's mine, LWB - I can't stand pop tops. I park and I am ready with no faffing about. I never use car parks so height is no issue ( I would rather have no dents in my panels :) ).

View attachment 105392
Looks great, and quite a lot of head room. Is that a Reimo Ergoline? We’ll be having windows both sides and one at the rear. We love light inside van, and have windows all around, apart from far rear drivers side. Do you have a custom layout? We’ve ordered a panel van to have our custom spec layout done. That’s what we want, to stop anywhere and be able to stand up. No more having to open up roof when we get home to dry it out if caught in downpour. Also, with poptop, if one wants to go to bed before the other the platform has to be down restricting headroom below. And, especially mornings when one of us gets up to make a cuppa. No more having to make one while on knees

Skylight but no side glazing as all the sides are used for cupboard storage. Haven't a clue as to which roof it is though. I haven't found that lack of side windows in the top is any loss and don't want peeping Toms watching me in the shower/loo at the rear so nothing at the back either!

z3.jpgzz.jpgz5.jpg

I have the curtains on the doors but no window on the rear of the high top, storage only there. Storage space is at a premium in my van as the rear shower room/toilet takes a fair amount of internal space.

Reactions: Ann
Skylight but no side glazing as all the sides are used for cupboard storage. Haven't a clue as to which roof it is though. I haven't found that lack of side windows in the top is any loss and don't want peeping Toms watching me in the shower/loo at the rear so nothing at the back either!

View attachment 105434View attachment 105435View attachment 105436

we haven’t got a fixed loo or shower. Or a fixed hob and sink. We have portaloo and portable gas hob so we can use to cook outside most of the time. A collapsible wash up bowl. The worktop unit houses slide out, large coolbox and slide out loo. The seating has storage underneath for awning, wind break, deck chairs, boots, and we’ve even got an inflatable kayak stored under it, but as yet not had chance/courage to use it. I did try it out sat in our garden when we first got it though. The tall cupboard and small cupboard are storage too. The seating slides out to a small bed if we ever need it. We’ve used it when putting pop top wasn’t an option. Great for lounging on watching TV on dark nights. We’ve EHU, but not had to use it Up to now. We’ve got diesel heater for warmth.

DE9588A1-EC15-4C7A-9C68-2091A5C2647B.jpeg

97899423-71D4-46FF-AD52-227CB5235C29.jpeg

6ED2F481-8858-4CC9-B80A-80FEDE3E74F2.jpeg

One advantage of having restricted storage is that you are ruthless as to what you take with you. Bare minimum all the time. As I wild camp only there is no need for all the EHU, windbreaks, chairs and all the paraphernalia that people seem to use on sites. It is surprising how little you need and still have a good trip. Fridge, hob, oven, sink, shower, toilet with gas water heater and diesel air heater and you are self contained.
My van only sleeps 2 but it is only myself and 2 collies that need to fit in nowadays so no need for any outside accommodation either.

Yes, you’re right! I’m constantly sorting stuff and getting rid if we haven’t used. We love finding off beaten track small, quiet campsites, with just basics like a loo and shower, but set in stunning scenery. Luckily we have quite a few on our doorstep in Snowdonia. Most of our campouts are within half an hours drive of our home. We often just turn up to our favourite to stop over for the night, or two. We’ve done a roadtrip to Scotland, and Ireland. Loved both, and plan to do them both again, as barely touched it. We try to avoid the tourist routes if we can, and love getting lost and discovering stunning scenery, peace and solitude In our next van, will have a different layout. We don’t want to spend time setting up, and packing away.we did use to wild camp, but it’s become frowned upon over past couple of years. Spots exposed on social media and disrespected. It’s a shame as we loved it. Now we seek out the off beaten track hidden gem campsites, and have not been disappointed. If we drive in to a site, and it’s packed, busy and regimentally laid out, we turn around and drive off. We get away to escape from hustle and bustle, and just have sound of nature to wake up to, and a stunning sunrise. We do a lot of walks, and most of my walk books start in remote spots, and the hidden gem sites we love :)

Last edited:
I'd say go for it. Had our van since May, and quite forcefully rejected the idea of a high top. Having used and camped in it since then, I have changed my mind. If we were to get another, we would go for similar layout, but definitely go high top.

Would also go LWB, but would have to evict my daughter from the driveway first :laugh:

Reactions: Ann
By the shores of Loch Ness some years back now - a rarely used track only accessible with a small van. The T6 would just fit along here as well.

PICT0381.JPG

Yes, you’re right! I’m constantly sorting stuff and getting rid if we haven’t used. We love finding off beaten track small, quiet campsites, with just basics like a loo and shower, but set in stunning scenery. Luckily we have quite a few on our doorstep in Snowdonia. Most of our campouts are within half an hours drive of our home. We often just turn up to our favourite to stop over for the night, or two. We’ve done a roadtrip to Scotland, and Ireland. Loved both, and plan to do them both again, as barely touched it. We try to avoid the tourist routes if we can, and love getting lost and discovering stunning scenery, peace and solitude In our next van, will have a different layout. We don’t want to spend time setting up, and packing away.we did use to wild camp, but it’s become frowned upon over past couple of years. Spots exposed on social media and disrespected. It’s a shame as we loved it. Now we seek out the off beaten track hidden gem campsites, and have not been disappointed. If we drive in to a site, and it’s packed, busy and regimentally laid out, we turn around and drive off. We get away to escape from hustle and bustle, and just have sound of nature to wake up to, and a stunning sunrise. We do a lot of walks, and most of my walk books start in remote spots, and the hidden gem sites we love :)

The only real disadvantage to a high-top (assuming you're not fussed about the aesthetics or possible resale value) is parking barriers. It sounds like you're not bothered by those so I'd say go for it. The joy of the camper van is being able to customise it to fit your needs.

Back