Hi - T5.1 owner debating going all out on a T6 kombi...

Rubber load mats are standard.
Extra door seals £30. "Sounds just like a Golf" as the saying goes, but it really does.
Twin side load doors? Looks like you have only got one.
I went power latching over full electric and it was the right choice for me. Would definitely recommend it.
Heated seats are very nice.
Don't forget to spec 2-1 rear seats or you will get the full bench.£120 unless that's what you want of course.

I really don't feel the need for heated seats, never had them or had a particuarly cold ass. With a remote heater can just start warming the vehicle anyway.

Will be removing back seats for a smart bed on rails at the mo and only neeed the one slider as likely have a pod/elecs infront of the other.

Think I might loose the diff lock after more research, seems unecessary as it has EDL (electronic diff lock) which even works if one front and one back wheel is spinning. I guess why they made it an option for hard core off roaders.

(Page 17 seems quite convincing: https://vwpress.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ssp_333_e.pdf)

Still unsure about the "Rubber floor covering in passenger/load compartment with loading edge protection rear with step illumination" at £198 RRP - step illumination is standard on the configurator and you are saying I get the rubber anyway?

Last edited:
@amdowney , just be sure ref the diff lock, as can be a huge hack off when you haven't got it and need it, and you can't retro fit it, make sure your "small" , in relative terms over the cost of the whole van, saving is worth it, as those wheels etc that your drooling over can be brought later, but diff lock can't! :thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Just trying to make you pause and reflect before hitting the buy it now button lol :)

Spec looks fantastic and will be superb. But if I may be a bit of a kill-joy for a moment.... Sorry....
If you consider resale, then I think both 204 and especially 4motion could have a negative impact, so cost you a lot. Of course it's hard to predict the future, but if in 5 years time you're trying to sell a "top spec" van in a market where there are a lot of other 150 highline 2wd vehicles, for a couple of grand less, then you will need to wait for that one buyer who really wants 4motion or lose more money.

Sometimes the sensible voice is worth listening to and sometimes it isn't, so feel free to ignore the kill-joy ;);).

I agree with @DJIT do you really need a 204 and 4 motion, will you be going places that need 4 wheel drive like muddy road or driving in fields. My wife used to take her cali up a wet grass slope to a place we camped no problem while we watched other people having to be towed with a tractor. As for the 204 engine my feeling is too much power in the road engine. I used to work as a mechanic on a racing Mini in my 20's and we always said a good state of tune for a race engine was 100bhp per litre so in effect the 204 is more or less in race tune on the road. Now I know things have moved on in 40 years but I still think that is pushing it for a 2 litre road engine. To give a better idea. my mini was tuned to around 120 bhp on 1340cc which is about as much as I could go before going to race spec. I feel the engines will have a shorter life in the high state of tune they are. Saying all that I would lobe to have a play in one :sneaky:

Well I have read they have a higher resale value the 4 motions, due to being less of them. I struggled to get up a campsite recently in Belgium (wet grass + summer tyres, in summer) for starters, just will be nice and re-assuring to have IMO. I hate it when FWD scrambles and can't put down it's power + I have a RWD E46 M3, which since getting makes my remapped 102 (which was an absolute slug before) feel a bit lacklustre due to it's size and weight. I would have thought 200 is on the safe side with remaps pushing them up to 250 and beyond.

Guess it depends how much you value the upgrade and what it costs you! Getting 20% off and then taxes mean I'll only be paying another £2.7K to get 4 motion and twin turbo 204PS over a 150 FWD. Good value I'd say! I'd say diff lock might be a waste however.

Last edited:
Yeah think I might be able to loose Diff Lock, not going to go extreme off roading!

App Connect requires either Disco or composition media, which gives Google Maps onto the screen which I always prefer to use anyway (on phone) with the kenwood DNX I have in my dash now as it's so out of date and has no traffic etc. All this for free from Google and App connect. Maybe if I was always on the go and needed GPS regardless of signal.

I am 6ft 3" so need to look at the seat hight then don't I.

Power folding mirrors seem to be an option only. Again not 100% necessary but they look cool...
I have been reasonably impressed with the Nav function on the Discovery system including bits like auto day/night, speed limit notification etc, and it means you don't have to plug your phone in

Rubber flooring all the way through is standard on the Kombi, and yes the power mirrors are extra

Well looks like I am going to have to get this order finalised this week, just bought the plate 'T6 FMO'

Agreed, 4motion is a bargain, 204 is worth the extra but diff lock isn't worth it.
I know because I only tried ours once in three years in our old 4motion and it wouldn't disengage. So didn't select it on this one.

@Polzeylad , ok I'll bite :eek::D Maybe it was due to only being used once in three years that you had difficulty deselecting it, as common accepted practice with 4x4 systems is to actuate them a couple of times a year on a muddy surface, and not to drive them with diff lock engaged when it isn't needed as this can lead to transmission windup, leading to destruction, or difficulty disengaging due to the excess forces that have built up. In this case you have to unwind the transmission, by driving in the opposite direction for a short length.

Hope this helps people, and doesn't offend or wind up. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Well, now a bit up in air again as didn't realise the 4 motion reduces the payload to under a tonne for VAT classification (although these guys could provide a workaround maybe - Uprating).

Also maybe I should just go down the panel van route to avoid and BIK tax? It will be stored at home etc and have incidental use...

@Polzeylad , ok I'll bite :eek::D Maybe it was due to only being used once in three years that you had difficulty deselecting it, as common accepted practice with 4x4 systems is to actuate them a couple of times a year on a muddy surface, and not to drive them with diff lock engaged when it isn't needed as this can lead to transmission windup, leading to destruction, or difficulty disengaging due to the excess forces that have built up. In this case you have to unwind the transmission, by driving in the opposite direction for a short length.

Hope this helps people, and doesn't offend or wind up. :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Well I didn't need to do that on my 110. And dad didn't need to do that on his uR Quattros.
The fact is, we travel far and wide in ours going to spots 99% of campers can't go. However it is still a £55k van so full on green laning which I've done many times in Jimnys, various Defenders, HiLux 4x4 and even our Subaru Outback (which has no diff lock but is amazing off road although clearance isn't huge) won't be happening in our Cali - the 4motion is great because it's not FWD and it gives great traction on mud, grass, etc but it's still a Haldex system; any "proper" 4x4 will have Torsen or similar plus clearance and tyres for the job. Unless you're towing a lot of weight off road with your van I think the diff lock is pointless. I speak from a huge amount of off roading, travelling Europe (much of it wild camping) in our current and last California and a lifelong obsession with almost anything on four wheels. And that is why we saved around £900 on something we don't need.

Our last Cali was pre-reg delivery miles and happened to come with almost everything - this time we ordered from the factory and picked and chose what we actually NEED, not what sounds good at the pub/this forum. And with a stern test already, we've got it just about spot on.

Last edited:
Didn't mean to spark a huge debate on the subject off, I too am a seasoned owner of various 4x4 vehicles and systems, so also know that some have an LSD in the axle instead of diff locks, and you should actuate them (diff locks) to stop the possibility of it sticking or linkages seizing when you need it. You do not need to go full green landing to need diff lock, as has been shown earlier on by real world experiences. Transmission wind up is a phenomenon that is caused by the system not having a chance to release pent up forces through a slipping wheel, when diff lock hasbeen applied when not needed, and can be felt if you apply diff lock to a front axle and try to turn a corner on dry firm ground, with centre diff lock engaged, if you carry on it starts to make funny whining noises, this noise is transmission wind up. This is NOT a wind up from me, and you probably won't experience it if you use the system properly. :thumbsup::unsure::whistle::whistle:

Last I'm saying on the subject PERIOD.
Not meant to dig at people or offend, merely to educate :cool::whistle::sleep::sleep::uh run:

All very well but the debate wasn't about disengaging diff lock, it was about whether it's needed or not.
I don't think it is having had a 4motion VW van for over three years.
You're changing the subject to try and make some point.
If you have a raised van and plan of proper off-roading, or live in the Alps then it's a possible option but living in the UK, touring Europe in a pretty expensive van, a T6 isn't what you'd push hard far off road.
Its like putting a snorkel on your van; would you actually need it?

Oh and you're not educating (thanks for the patronisation), you're changing the subject.

I chose the diff-lock option because the centre diff is a haldex and EDL also reduces power to regain traction, in the past and especially driving on sand you cannot afford to lose power or you'll get stuck, having the option of the difflock means I can engage it whilst moving if I think I am going to lose momentum.

But, I intend on going to places that this might happen but if you are trading options to keep within a budget I would always have grippy tyres over difflock.

Nice to meet you @amdowney I hope i filled you with more good/expensive ideas before you order , any closer to a decision ?

Yes thanks for the info and demo!

I am now considering another option. I rechecked what you said about VAT and the 1 tonne limit on the 4 motions and you are right, could be an issue. I have now specced up a T30 panel van - 150PS DSG with mostly the same options and it is a big saving (-£9K RRP) with all I need really. Not dissimilar to my current van but a shiny new T6 with DSG and a few toys. Given mine is remapped to 160 I'm reading up on reversable & untraceable remaps.

Seems the likes of Pendle are stil to release a 150ps remap, need to ring around and see what can be done but 190 would be nice!

I'll be putting a R&R bed in on sliders and adding windows later, which is actually tidier for carpeting so don't need a kombi particularly nor any confusion over classification on paper.

If you going to do that might be worth ordering the factory swivels so you don't have the bulkhead. Other downside is no chance of the "posh" dash.

Back