Hi - T5.1 owner debating going all out on a T6 kombi...

amdowney

T6 TSI Manual Kombi Highline LWB
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi there,

Been on the t4forum for a while as I have a 2010 T5 LWB (was a basic panel van with a/c, 5 speed, that has had loads done to it - almost a highline kombi conversion + bed and pod) - but it's getting on a bit and I want a change/bits redone. Bought it 3y ago for 10k and spent about that on it, think I'll get 15 or so back.

So having looked at the figures and being as I can put it all through my business I am close to going all out on this bad boy (which will have most of the bits done that I did to the T5) and in the end it only cost me circa 15k after tax back to upgrade (pls another 6k of mods perhaps):

T32 Kombi Highline LWB EU6 204 PS 2.0 TDI BMT 7sp DSG 4MOTION
Full RRP inc VAT: £ 49,821.00 (can get 15% discount or more it seems then tax off)

Options
Price breakdown *
Standard equipment No extra charge
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking (Max speed 99mph)
£ 780.00
LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights £ 1,662.00
Folding wing mirrors; power adjustable and power folding £ 216.00
Composition Media Radio with 6.33" touch screen £ 402.00
Rubber floor covering in passenger/load compartment with loading edge protection rear with step illumination
£ 198.00
Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control and second battery £ 2,160.00
App Connect £ 150.00
Carpet flooring in cab £ 84.00
Differential lock £ 594.00
Decorative insert dark brushed silver decorative strip in anthracite metallic No extra charge
Rear parking sensors with rear-view camera £ 306.00
Power latching for passenger side sliding door £ 120.00
Comfort dashboard with wide center console and bottle compartment £ 462.00
Side and curtain airbags for driver and front passenger £ 318.00
Swivel seat: Passenger (not height-adjustable) No extra charge
Swivel seat: Driver (not height-adjustable) £ 270.00
Without height adjustment for driver and single passenger seats No extra charge
2 remote control folding keys No extra charge
Headlamp washer system with heated front washer nozzles and washer fluid level indicator
No extra charge
Power latching for tailgate £ 114.00

Good options?

Can someone tell me, with the tandard aircon (with/without air heater) - where will rear vents be?

Last edited:
That sounds like an absolutely cracking set of options. LED lights are a must, and it would seem that a lot of us that don't have the comfort dash, are a teeny weeny bit envious of those that have. Well I am anyway.

welcome @amdowney As @DaveyB says that's some list you have there ! I can comment on the rear heating/air-con , yes it is an extra as i did spec it on mine otherwise there is none in the rear. I see your local to me you're welcome to call in the factory for a look at my T6 and a chat, i will bore you to death no problem ;):thumbsup:

Thanks for quick responses guys, yes Studley Glass, followed you already as noticed you are up the road. May have to take you up on that, can grab me a takeaway carvery in the week at the same time from the Barley Mow!

So to get B pillar vents you need to buy this £600 quid option just to add some duscting etc?

Climatic cab air conditioning system (semi-automatic) with manually controlled
Kombipassenger/load compartment heating system

If I got the air heater (assuming diesel, have a propx one we fitted at mo - been well handy) gather that would give me vents..

...and I'm not sure if I 100% need 4 motion but sure think it'll be nice to have, couldn't get up a damp field once. Also the air heater, could probably do it cheaper aftermarket but I just love the idea of having this all factory fitted to perfection (hopefully) - less to have on my plate. It was a lot of work doing my van and just don't fancy building up from a base spec again, false economy if you value your time and effort and can afford the right spec.

Last edited:
That's an amazing spec - I would loved to have been able to spend that much on mine. My two pence worth

I have not re-looked at the price list since I ordered mine but from memory I think you have to spec the Discover Media system to get Car Play, and I would be wanting the Discover system anyway. Also doesn't the Highline spec include power mirrors?

My dealer told me that the diff lock was a waste of money with the 4motion as the 4motion system kind of includes that function electronically. He has a number of customers who take their vans off road a lot and they never order the diff lock.

Are you happy with the non adjustable seat height? I understand the swivels raise the seat quite a lot anyway

The other things I reckon that would be worthwhile are the protective loading cover for the rear bumper, and the Sportline lowering springs. 18" wheels with wider tyres also help with looks and handling, but I got aftermarket wheels and sold the 17" OEM jobs as the VW Sportline 18" are nice but very expensive

Yeah think I might be able to loose Diff Lock, not going to go extreme off roading!

App Connect requires either Disco or composition media, which gives Google Maps onto the screen which I always prefer to use anyway (on phone) with the kenwood DNX I have in my dash now as it's so out of date and has no traffic etc. All this for free from Google and App connect. Maybe if I was always on the go and needed GPS regardless of signal.

I am 6ft 3" so need to look at the seat hight then don't I.

Power folding mirrors seem to be an option only. Again not 100% necessary but they look cool...

Its worth have a study of the extras brochure in the downloads section (you may need to join for access to that :thumbsup:)

If I don't have the rubber floor covering is it just bare metal? Would there then be a different step which will not fit if I were to add my own covering?

That sounds like an absolutely cracking set of options. LED lights are a must, and it would seem that a lot of us that don't have the comfort dash, are a teeny weeny bit envious of those that have. Well I am anyway.
Actully no, I had thought it was a must but after looking at my beach I've still to pick up I find the tray there has a 12v plug which will take the sat nav which can sit in the tray, don't think I could do that with a comfort dash and I really don't need a place to keep a bottle by my leg.

Berth similar to mine, only things I would say are pay the difference for Discover media & add the app connect.

Get the power sliding doors rather then power latching, at least get power latching for the tailgate or ideally the full electric one.

Not wanting power sliding really (does look cool), have read about the noise and battery drain, a pain on a campsite... Also just reliability issues on a T5 and delay opening etc... Just no need IMO

electric sliding door issues

Did anyone not get the rubber floor, what do you get ?

Last edited:
Actully no, I had thought it was a must but after looking at my beach I've still to pick up I find the tray there has a 12v plug which will take the sat nav which can sit in the tray, don't think I could do that with a comfort dash and I really don't need a place to keep a bottle by my leg.

So we aren't incontinent yet then @Roadrunner :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Tongue firmly in cheek, or foot in mouth? :rofl:)

More expensive than our new Cali!
Options are good but they depreciate much faster than base vehicles; worth bearing in mind.

If I don't have the rubber floor covering is it just bare metal? Would there then be a different step which will not fit if I were to add my own covering?
I think rubber floor comes as standard in a kombi ,I didn't pay extra for mine .
I also spect mine up so it was the same as my T5.1 or better ,probably not much more cost ,and certainly less time .

Back