Hi! Camper Newbie looking for advice buying first camper

I’m a newbie myself having bought my very first T6 only about 6 weeks ago, so I can’t give you loads of advice, but one thing I would say is try and get the best base van that you can afford without being seduced by all the shiny wheels and spoilers. It’s difficult I know, but they can all be added at a later date, because as we all know, once you’ve got your van the spending never ends. :think smile bounce:
How true that statement is! Budget 27k and in 3 months you have blown 35k

Sounds like they are following the EBay rules to be honest.

Pete

I take your point. I thought you were allowed to end it early if its had no bids though. Seems odd to have the "make an offer" option if you never intended to accept offers, that's all

Maybe, but the seller doesn't have a huge amount of feedback so may not be that clued up as an ebay seller... The listing seems legit to be fair and with the fact they're going away and reduced the length of time on the listing, they may be after a quick sale or an offer.... To be able to move the vehicle on...

Take all available precautions, hp / stolen vehicle check. Check the VIN number hasn't been tampered with and matches the registration document..

It seems legit.... But scams can come well disguised... So take care...!

Hi mate,

welcome, if you focus on the base van that would be my recommendation. I would the consider something like this for a temporary solution.

Good luck!

Welcome @Pete24.
We were in your position not that long ago.. had gone from owning a Caterham, to a Porsche and now the best vehicle i have ever owned! A T5.1!
I simply love it. Especially now the suspension and paint correction have been done.

We found a good spec base van - For us that meant heated seats, low mileage, T32, had to have twin sliders (due to where we park it on our drive) and a tailgate. Then we used VANWORX to part convert, I think i could have done most if not all of it, but i wanted to get on a use it. We then got the Amdro kit. We have never looked back. The money keeps leaking from my bank, new stereo (apple car play was a requirement), new suspension, paint correction, decals, oh and some nice head lights from @Transporter HQ , now we need cushions... and soon an all round alloy wheel refurb.
Our base van was £18k, for a highline highline T5.1 with 55k miles and a years VW warranty (approve used). We spent about 5k converting it (details here), then another 3 or 4 on "other" items (suspension, decals stereo, Amdro, head lights etc).
We now have a van we use ALL the time - impromtu fish and chip run last night... cup of tea in a layby in the cotswolds. Wife and kids love it.
We have been to various parks whilst in lockdown, and let the kids ride their bikes - when you have a VW camper, a hot cup of tea is never far away.

I guess what i am trying to say is get the base van right, everything else can be customised as part of the journey and its a nice journey... Similar to tinkering with a K-series Caterham Super Sport R :)
Good luck, i hope you find what your looking for.

Its brilliant when it all comes together :D

The ebay listing is prob legit but as mentioned do a full history check and make sure you know where all the plates should be so none have "gone missing" .
Worth putting an offer on and bidding if the owners dont really understand Ebay. That then puts you inside the system.

Just finished viewing the Sportline. To be honest we weren't too impressed with it. Did a full HP check and all that checked out ok, however there were a few things wrong with it:
No FSH, only the last service done about 8k miles ago.
Due a cambelt (the Highline had it done 12months ago).
One of the fog light lenses was cracked.
2 front tyres were close to the limit.
Wheels needed a refurb but one of them had a large chunk missing out of the rim...looked beyond repair.
One of the seatbelts on the fold out bed wasn't retracting properly.
The owner was obviously a smoker.
Generally it didn't drive as nice as the highline, didn't feel as tight in the steering and gear change (the Highline felt considerably more refined in comparison)

I got the feeling they may have accepted £28000 but I wouldn't be happy paying that in light of the above.

So, I got back in touch with Mr Highline and he had a guy mess him about this morning. We agreed over the phone a compromised deal at £28,250, so we met almost halfway. I just hope the slight feeling of paying over the odds disappear...

Last edited:
Full history is a bonus, anyone who cares wouldn't risk not doing a timing belt change , what else could he be hiding ?

Hope you like your new van and welcome to the family.

Was it over the odds...? Seems a fair price for a well cared for van...

you could of payed less and got something that had been less cherished or cared for...

Once the adventures begin i'm sure the little extra you paid will feel all the more worth it...

Hope you enjoy and welcome to the club..

Just finished viewing the Sportline. To be honest we weren't too impressed with it. Did a full HP check and all that checked out ok, however there were a few things wrong with it:
No FSH, only the last service done about 8k miles ago.
Due a cambelt (the Highline had it done 12months ago).
One of the fog light lenses was cracked.
2 front tyres were close to the limit.
Wheels needed a refurb but one of them had a large chunk missing out of the rim...looked beyond repair.
One of the seatbelts on the fold out bed wasn't retracting properly.
The owner was obviously a smoker.
Generally it didn't drive as nice as the highline, didn't feel as tight in the steering and gear change.

So, I got back in touch with Mr Highline and he had a guy mess him about this morning. We agreed over the phone a compromised deal at £28,250, so we met almost halfway. I just hope the slight feeling of paying over the odds disappear...
Hey Pete,

Congratulations! The van looks good and the conversion is done so you can get out and use it. In some respects i wish i had bought a used camper first before diving in head first. You will have a great learning experience and a lot of fun moding this and when you come to pass it on I think it will not have depreciated as mush as you think it would.

So congrats again buddy and welcome to the T6 club!

Was it over the odds...? Seems a fair price for a well cared for van...

you could of payed less and got something that had been less cherished or cared for...

Once the adventures begin i'm sure the little extra you paid will feel all the more worth it...

Hope you enjoy and welcome to the club..

No, I know it wasn't really over the odds, particularly as it comes with 2 drive away awnings etc. But you can't help but feel that way when you go £1250 over your budget.

I think it's a great van and we'd really struggle to find another which has been so well looked after and with so few miles.

Off to pick it up! Thanks to everyone for all the words of advice

And so it begins...

Can anyone tell me the name of these wheels? I'm after a picture of a T5 on them

And so it begins.... that familiar (Caterham owner), feeling of parting with your hard earned!

Back