Hi! Camper Newbie looking for advice buying first camper

Pete24

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I am completely new to the world of VW campers and just looking to buy our first. I have owned Caterhams for the last 8 years and I have finally given this up for a slower pace of life as it is something the wife has always dreamed of. So here we are!

We have a budget of around £27k, so after a solid week of research and searching, we have come to the conclusion that we can't quite afford a brand new 4 berth conversion as we would like a high spec base van with AC, cruise, DAB and bluetooth. Engine power is less of a concern, as anything less than 140bhp we would remap to about 140bhp. As for the conversion, we'd like a standard side kitchen layout with 2 seat fold out rear bed. Ideal features would include an oven/grill, diesel heater, solar panel, tailgate.

We briefly looked and the option of a DIY conversion, and I reckon we could just about do it for £27k, but we have decided to cut out the time and hassle of doing the conversion and instead plumb for a good used conversion.

We have found two really good looking options and would like some expert advice and opinions as to what might be best.

Option 1 (link to ad):
We were sold on this one initially before option 2 came up for sale this morning. This first option seems to have most of what we want apart from the tailgate. What we liked about this one was the fact it has a heater and comes with a good selection of accessories. Seems to be priced on the high side, but would hope he'd accept £27k.

Option 2 (link to ad):
This has seemingly thrown a spanner in the works! This one has the bonus of being a Sportline, previously thought to be out of our price range, but something that appeals to me. It also has the tailgate and is the 180bhp BiTD!! The only downside is it doesn't have a heater or grill - is a heater easy to fit retrospectively? This also seems extremely good value considering the base van spec (almost too good to be true, but I don't want to believe that).

So what do you more experience people think we should go for? Am I right in thinking option 2 should hold it's value better in the long run?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
welcome!

I’m assuming the 180BHP is a T5. Is the other a T6? You may want to consider whether one is a Euro5 and one Euro6 if you travel into cities.

A heater is easy to retrofit for a professional and fairly straightforward for a competent DIYer. Loads of threads on here.

A grill can be retro fitted if the cupboard layout is favourable. We use ours but many don’t and prefer a cupboard.

I prefer a tailgate for a camper but if you have to open the tailgate in a cramped space, it’s blooming difficult. Worth thinking about. Good for shelter though.

EDIT - just noticed this is under the T5 thread, so I assume they’re both T5s! £27k should get you a T6 conversion if you wanted a Euro6. You then get the fun of AdBlue!

Hi Spaghetti.

Do the links to the adverts not work?

They are both 2015 T5, the Highline is a T28 on 38k miles, the Sportline is a T32 on 42K miles.

Didn’t spot the links :rolleyes:

Both look decent although another thing to consider is the maximum weight - The T32 has 400KG more capacity than the T28, but has stricter requirements on wheel and tyre choice due to the capacity.

Thanks Spaghetti. Do the stricter requirements have any real world impacts when used as a campervan? More expensive tyres presumably?

Well, you have to have them rated for a T32 regardless of the weight you’re carrying.

Mine’s a T28 on factory wheels and tyres so I’ve not had to look too far into it, but the T32 boys and girls will advise. I think there’s a little less choice and (I assume) a higher cost.

Have you looked at a dealer? We used Don Ammot Don Amott and they were particularly good.

The benefit being warranty and the service. They normally have a good range of new and used in stock and can do build to order from CamperKing. Removes a lot of the risk when spending a big lump of cash.

Have you looked at a dealer? We used Don Ammot Don Amott and they were particularly good.

The benefit being warranty and the service. They normally have a good range of new and used in stock and can do build to order from CamperKing. Removes a lot of the risk when spending a big lump of cash.

Thanks for the reply. We have looked at dealers yes, but usually that means going way over budget or compromising on spec. Dealer warranty and service often leave a lot to be desired in any case.

I'm pretty confident in inspecting vehicles so I have no concerns buying privately

One thing to consider is that camper prices have increased recently due to many people wanting them for “staycations” during the pandemic. This is evident when you search various dealer websites and see just how little stock they currently have as the converters can’t build them fast enough.

Also, be weary about adverts on eBay as there are a lot of fake listings at the minute. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

I can only see the eBay advert in your post - the autotrader one won’t open for me??

One thing to consider is that camper prices have increased recently due to many people wanting them for “staycations” during the pandemic. This is evident when you search various dealer websites and see just how little stock they currently have as the converters can’t build them fast enough.

Also, be weary about adverts on eBay as there are a lot of fake listings at the minute. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

I can only see the eBay advert in your post - the autotrader one won’t open for me??
I don’t think the eBay advert you’ve suggested is fake btw. ;)

I’d certainly be more vigilant about the quality of a conversion being built now for the very same reason. They’re flat out, so there would be a temptation to build them as quickly as possible and potentially cut some corners.

I’m a newbie myself having bought my very first T6 only about 6 weeks ago, so I can’t give you loads of advice, but one thing I would say is try and get the best base van that you can afford without being seduced by all the shiny wheels and spoilers. It’s difficult I know, but they can all be added at a later date, because as we all know, once you’ve got your van the spending never ends. :think smile bounce:

I’m a newbie myself having bought my very first T6 only about 6 weeks ago, so I can’t give you loads of advice, but one thing I would say is try and get the best base van that you can afford without being seduced by all the shiny wheels and spoilers. It’s difficult I know, but they can all be added at a later date, because as we all know, once you’ve got your van the spending never ends. :think smile bounce:

Sage advice here. I saw lots of basic vans with painted bumpers, big wheels, sport line bumpers and spoilers, but when you looked close, it was all dressing, and the basic van was, well, basic! For me it had to be a Highline .

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I am completely new to the world of VW campers and just looking to buy our first. I have owned Caterhams for the last 8 years and I have finally given this up for a slower pace of life as it is something the wife has always dreamed of. So here we are!

We have a budget of around £27k, so after a solid week of research and searching, we have come to the conclusion that we can't quite afford a brand new 4 berth conversion as we would like a high spec base van with AC, cruise, DAB and bluetooth. Engine power is less of a concern, as anything less than 140bhp we would remap to about 140bhp. As for the conversion, we'd like a standard side kitchen layout with 2 seat fold out rear bed. Ideal features would include an oven/grill, diesel heater, solar panel, tailgate.

We briefly looked and the option of a DIY conversion, and I reckon we could just about do it for £27k, but we have decided to cut out the time and hassle of doing the conversion and instead plumb for a good used conversion.

We have found two really good looking options and would like some expert advice and opinions as to what might be best.

Option 1 (link to ad):
We were sold on this one initially before option 2 came up for sale this morning. This first option seems to have most of what we want apart from the tailgate. What we liked about this one was the fact it has a heater and comes with a good selection of accessories. Seems to be priced on the high side, but would hope he'd accept £27k.

Option 2 (link to ad):
This has seemingly thrown a spanner in the works! This one has the bonus of being a Sportline, previously thought to be out of our price range, but something that appeals to me. It also has the tailgate and is the 180bhp BiTD!! The only downside is it doesn't have a heater or grill - is a heater easy to fit retrospectively? This also seems extremely good value considering the base van spec (almost too good to be true, but I don't want to believe that).

So what do you more experience people think we should go for? Am I right in thinking option 2 should hold it's value better in the long run?

Thanks in advance :)
Hi...if the vehicle is going to be a long term thing..you would need to consider which ever vehicle you get that you will be allowed to drive through built up area’s that are starting to restrict older vehicles due to emissions ...as it stands at the moment Euro 6 is ok.
but would not like you to spend a lot on a van and then find out your restricted to where you can go...hope that make sense
just one thing to add..if your like me went from a very modern car with very good lights ..the word on the street is the basic vans have really rubbish lights...if budget allows try to get Led lights ..cause they cost the earth afterwards :)

I would also do the research on the builder background / reputation and what was critical to us as the kids ride in the back, is the bed crash tested as a seat and to what level? in or out of the van etc.

Well, we have just come back from seeing the Highline....empty handed! It was a lovely van, would have been perfect, but he wasn't willing to budge on the asking price. Even though it needed 2 tyres and 4 wheels refurbed. We just couldn't stretch the extra £2k and we still feel £27k was a fairer price, but hey. Saying that, I'm sure someone will pay £29k for it.

What was lovely about it was it was owned by an elderly chap who's wife had passed a few years ago, and he and his son (who was doing the selling) bought it jointly to help him get over his loss. You could tell the van meant everything to him and it was obvious it was lovingly and meticulously cared for. The son was saying he would often just go out in it on the driveway, tidy and clean it and make a cup of tea in it. Shame really.

We are scheduled to see the Sportline tomorrow morning, but she has a viewing tonight. Fingers crossed it doesn't sell.

Thanks for all the input!

I would also do the research on the builder background / reputation and what was critical to us as the kids ride in the back, is the bed crash tested as a seat and to what level? in or out of the van etc.

The Sportline we are seeing tomorrow was converted by Platinum Wave Campers - anyone have any experience or heard anything about them, good or bad? I can't seem to find much on google...

Cheers

Last edited:
Think the sports line with a bigger engine and a T32 will be a better bet. Like peeps say you cant really change the basics and a camper is basically fully loaded all the time. Dont worry about alloys etc for the T32 I found the selection available ok and no more expensive. In fact I run a budget set of alloys and couldn't save anymore by having a T28.
Tyres are not a problem either.
Fingers crossed the conversation is good.

So I think the Sportline is still available... I asked if she could let me know how the viewing goes tonight and I got the following, slightly odd, reply:

"The viewings are arranged for people to examine the van and test drive (spaced out, and the everything, handles, seats, wheel etc have been completely wiped down) After viewing the campervan they can decide if they want to put a bid on the site. We cannot sell it outside ebay, so we leave it up to them what they want to do."

Not sure about it now. Ring any alarm bells with anyone else?

I should add that the Ebay listing is an auction format with the "make an offer" option. I've asked if we could make an offer there and then so we can take it away same day. Will see what she says.

Sounds like they are following the EBay rules to be honest.

Pete

Back