Help with DIY Painting

willythepooh

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve just undercoated my spoiler using a spray gun. Nice finish.
tried the Candy White from two cans and I’ve finished up with blotchy paint.ie shiny in places, full in others. What’s the next step before I laquer it ?

I’ve just undercoated my spoiler using a spray gun. Nice finish.
tried the Candy White from two cans and I’ve finished up with blotchy paint.ie shiny in places, full in others. What’s the next step before I laquer it ?

I'm not a painter, but i've been around bodyshops long enough to know a little bit about painting processes. As far as I know, the actual colour isn't where the shine comes from. I think providing you get an even coat of colour on, it's the lacquer that gives it the shine.
If you have a patchy finish, you might be trying to get a shine with the base coat and therefor laying it down too heavily in places, which isn't correct. A base coat needs to just be light even coatings, then the lacquer will give this the shine.

I could be wrong of course. It's been a long time since i've painted properly. Yes, I do all my prep work for my van, but my bodyshop do the painting in their booth.

It depends on how you're painting it.

As Tourershire says, most body shops apply a base colour which has no shine. You just spary it on until the part is fully covered. The lacquer is what gives it a shine and you can apply this easily, and then polish it back with 1200grit wet'dry and upto 2000 to get a nice finish. But this method can't be used for repairs.
When repairing a panel, you blend in the overspray with the panel behind. This makes it imposible to apply the lacquer to the base colour only and get it to look right.

At work we have BASF on site mixing our paint (I work for OEM). For each new colour we do, we also have to develop a repair method paint which has the shine build in and this is what you normally get in rattle cans. This is why rattle can or repair finishes are never as good as OE.
Candy paints are really hard to paint and a rattle can will never give the correct finish. You'll have to paint a complete panel with base & clear (probably many clear coat). To get the candy looking right. The panels need to be the correct temperature so the paint doesn't dry on impact. and the spraying needs to be spot on so the paint doesn't dry before it hits the panel. Candy's are so hard to paint.

hope this helps.

Back