Advice on which front trims to paint

nomislotsirb

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm after some advice ... We've teal Van Shades and windscreen cover, so seems logical to use this as an accent colour to the front plastics. I've the paint already, and also some Candy White. I'm toying with what configuration of colour to use and have attempted to mock up in MS Word for an idea. I've attached some screen dumps below.

Would greatly appreciate some thoughts, either on those below, or any others.

MTIA.

a) Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 22.02.43.png

b) Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 22.03.04.png

c) Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 22.07.52.png

d) Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 22.07.35.png

A or B. Not sure about what to do with the badge but definitely colour code the two stripes to your accent colour.

We've got a blue van and I mocked up body colour grille stripes last night but SWMBO said it blended in too much with rest of van so we're going to go with red stripes on both upper and lower.

HTH

So, I've painted all the components teal black and white. Today went to fit teal trims. Bottom trims went on a breeze. Top (formerly chrome) were far tighter. I've managed to get them on in the middle, but the ends are proving to be a right PITA. Anyone got any tips please.

Some may say I went a little OTT in colour coordinating other components, including magnets and wipes container!

and yes, I appreciate the van is in dire need of a wash!

IMG_0712.jpegIMG_0710.jpegIMG_0709.jpegIMG_0713.jpegIMG_0706.jpeg

@nomislotsirb Paint finish looks great. Did you use a spray gun? What prep work did you do on the parts? What type of paint?

Thanks @EAN. Prep work consisted of a light sanding and clean, although I did notice there was still hardly any abrasion on formerly chrome trims.

I paint was rattle cans (2K Air Dry, Acrylic Enamel, Full Gloss 90% with UV Protection & High Resistance for colour and 1k for lacquer), sourced the from One Stop Aerosols (One Stop Aerosols). They were very helpful along the way. Apparently priming isn't necessary. They had the VW paint codes, and suggested RAL 9005 Jet Black for black components. I was wanting to colour match to the Vanshades and Rainbow Screens so used a RAL colour chart to identify a RAL colour for the teal/aquamarine.

Thanks @EAN. Prep work consisted of a light sanding and clean, although I did notice there was still hardly any abrasion on formerly chrome trims.

I paint was rattle cans (2K Air Dry, Acrylic Enamel, Full Gloss 90% with UV Protection & High Resistance for colour and 1k for lacquer), sourced the from One Stop Aerosols (One Stop Aerosols). They were very helpful along the way. Apparently priming isn't necessary. They had the VW paint codes, and suggested RAL 9005 Jet Black for black components. I was wanting to colour match to the Vanshades and Rainbow Screens so used a RAL colour chart to identify a RAL colour for the teal/aquamarine.
Thanks @nomislotsirb very useful info and again you got a great finish, well done.

great work, could have easily passed as out a proper spray gun!

Really tempted to try this with our van. The pop top is maroon ish and we've currently got the usual red grille trims which look fine until we open the roof!

@TeeCeeJay I'd recommend getting yourself a RAL colour chart, which is a standardised colour chart. These are around £10, but if you're lucky you may be able to pick one up for free from radiator, door/window suppliers, who offer painting to RAL colours.

Then you can identify the closest RAL colour - there are hundreds so you will find a very close match, enough that they look identical from a distance. One Stop Aerosols (and many other companies I'm sure) will be able provide rattle cans to this colour. The paint lasts for approx. 3 days (slightly longer if kept in fridge), so I suggest assessing what other items you'll want to colour match - if any - in advance. I kept a list over a fortnight I added to!

@TeeCeeJay I'd recommend getting yourself a RAL colour chart, which is a standardised colour chart. These are around £10, but if you're lucky you may be able to pick one up for free from radiator, door/window suppliers, who offer painting to RAL colours.

Then you can identify the closest RAL colour - there are hundreds so you will find a very close match, enough that they look identical from a distance. One Stop Aerosols (and many other companies I'm sure) will be able provide rattle cans to this colour. The paint lasts for approx. 3 days (slightly longer if kept in fridge), so I suggest assessing what other items you'll want to colour match - if any - in advance. I kept a list over a fortnight I added to!
Great stuff. Thanks. Will look into it.

Back