Help wanted Re: Diesel Heater air intake.

Bardot

Hi Guys, My Diesel heater gets air to circulate from an intake in the door footwell. This obviously allows progressively hotter air to be used as the van warms However it also has a ventilate mode which moves the air with no heating. I would like to be able to switch the air intake from the footwell to an exterior intake for this. This would allow it to pull in fresh cooler external air from under the van. Is anyone aware of this kind of setup or able to suggest gear / parts that would allow me to achieve it. I can find various ducting accessories ( 60mm) but nothing that would allow me to switch channels easily.

I did look at these myself, but in the end decided I would need an interlock to stop me switching on the heater with external air source, as this would fill the van with fumes. If you could position the alternative input remote from the heater exhaust, that won’t be a problem.

The heater would not be running as a heater if you have it on ventilation so no exhaust fumes could enter the intake. The control knob is clear as to heating and ventilation positions.

There is no reason why the intake is positioned anywhere near an exhaust outlet anyway, it isn't difficult to be safe.

Last edited:
I've often pondered this addition but come to the conclusion that for the occasions that we use the recirculate mode on the Eberspacher the underside of the van is often hot or close to other sources of pollution that we wouldn't use the facility of importing air from below many times. Obviously very much each to their own and the conditions that you would want to use it but at about £50 plus the installation time I decided that it wasn't worth the expense/time.

I did look at these myself, but in the end decided I would need an interlock to stop me switching on the heater with external air source, as this would fill the van with fumes. If you could position the alternative input remote from the heater exhaust, that won’t be a problem.
Its a point worth noting that's for sure. I knew I would need to take this into account but had put it to the back of my mind until I had a grasp as how to achieve it,

I've often pondered this addition but come to the conclusion that for the occasions that we use the recirculate mode on the Eberspacher the underside of the van is often hot or close to other sources of pollution that we wouldn't use the facility of importing air from below many times. Obviously very much each to their own and the conditions that you would want to use it but at about £50 plus the installation time I decided that it wasn't worth the expense/time.
True. Air quality, time and expense all need to be considered. Time not such a problem as finally got so fed up with work I jacked it in and declared myself in early retirement! Conversely expense very much is an issue foe exactly the same reason. Diesel fumes being sucked in if switch left in wrong position is a possibility I suppose, but think you would notice your mistake. Air temp is hard to judge but. previous point aside. should be fresher and would help with removing smells from cooking food etc.

Back