Help -Solar Panels for awning/van - What to do?

Yetibeard

T6 Pro
Hi,

I've been reading a LOT of threads about solar panels and I'm still not sure on what would suit me best. If I describe my setup I'd appreciate any advice!

The solar panels will be used for off grid camping. (off grid = no EHU! but probably still on a site)

I have a leisure battery with CTEK under the drivers seat. USBs and 12v sockets off that in rear. I also have led lights and 2kw diesel heater (yet to be installed) and the usual army of devices to charge

80% of time I would take an awning.
Here I would have 2 electric cool boxes in the awning (these ones from Aldi)

20% of time no awning
1 cool box in the van

What solar panel option would work best for me in both situations? I'm leaning towards a a mobile solution but I'm unsure how this would work in both situations.

I'd prefer to have a 1 size fits all, but would is be best to have a smaller fixed one on roof and a mobile for awning?

Like I say, my mind isn't made up so all advice is welcome. Price range isn't unlimited, but I want an easy solution that works in both scenarios.

Also worth mentioning... I'm an electrical novice, so if I ask a stupid question.... let me know its stupid and I can laugh too!

Thanks

As important is your battery set-up. Remember with normal batteries half you amp hours to give your actual usable amp hours. If you have lithium you do not have to do this as the ‘whole‘ battery is useable.

do a search for ’how I done it’ videos by @Dellmassive he goes into great detail on both installed and portable solar solutions. Also YouTube videos by ‘gadget john’ re his previous solar installs on his vans might help give you some ideas. @travelvolts is a trade member on hear that might be able to offer some ideas...

good luck.

As important is your battery set-up. Remember with normal batteries half you amp hours to give your actual usable amp hours. If you have lithium you do not have to do this as the ‘whole‘ battery is useable.

do a search for ’how I done it’ videos by @Dellmassive he goes into great detail on both installed and portable solar solutions. Also YouTube videos by ‘gadget john’ re his previous solar installs on his vans might help give you some ideas. @travelvolts is a trade member on hear that might be able to offer some ideas...

good luck.

Thanks. Its not a lithium battery so that might be an upgrade option I the future. I've had a look through the @Dellmassive thread and that is what leant me towards mobile.

Ideally, I'd like someone to jump in with "I have a similar setup and this works for me...blah blah blah.!"

cooler boxes need around 6A each, so or two you need about 12A,

100W panel will generate 6A (ISC with good sun)

so get 2x 100w panels. and run either for 100W or both for 200W. - or just one 200W and run that.

get flexible or foldable depending on your preference.

flexible are 100% waterproof and more durable, but not as easy to store.

either connect to your ctek or get a separate MPPT with quick disconnect MC4 cables and leads.

the max the ctek can take is 23v voc and 20A/25A . . . .

so when you run 2x panels you need to connect in parallel.

1594275597398.png

i would sugest:

a victron 75/15 mppt controller (with bluetooth monitorin )

1594275722153.png

and

a 200W two panel kit like this:

1594275808308.png

or

200w foldable like this . . .

1594275889382.png

or like this:

50W, 100w, 120W Kit . . . .

s-l400.jpg

BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W | eBay
Flex Power 50W, 100W, 120W. Peak Power (Pmax): 50W 100W 120W. Premium Solar Panels and Accessory for Leisure and Marine Applications. Lightweight and Portable. Panel Model: MD1199/50W MD1199/100W MD1199/120W.
rover.ebay.com

1588763482525.png

He didn't state what battery/batteries he had as a leisure setup.

yes 2x cooler boxes would run a single battery flat....

But I've had 2x camping gas coolboxes running over a weekend on a single battery and 200w solar.

Once they cooled down and start cycling you can get more run time...... but will need to be fully charged the next day.

Solutions are more leisure batteries, more solar, EHU or compressor fridge =)

He didn't state what battery/batteries he had as a leisure setup.

yes 2x cooler boxes would run a single battery flat....

But I've had 2x camping gas coolboxes running over a weekend on a single battery and 200w solar.

Once they cooled down and start cycling you can get more run time...... but will need to be fully charged the next day.

Solutions are more leisure batteries, more solar, EHU or compressor fridge =)

Thanks for fantastic reply.

Leisure bat is 110ah and not lithium, but it is basically brand new.

I want to get away from EHU and compressor fridges look fantastically expensive.
So either more batteries or more solar.

300kw solar should do the trick then with the current battery?

Yes.....

During to experience....

I always take 2x 100ah leusure batteries that way if the sun is not out you can always rely on a second battery to run your kit.... and possibly use the van dc-dc to charge the other....

an exampple here . . .

didn't take a second battery, didn't have enough solar wattage . . . . the sun wasnt very sunny . . . =[

I know I'm very primitive but I just run my engine for an hour a day to boost my Leisure battery.
Best not to camp behind me. ;)

i always use AGM for leisure batteries . . ( Or Lifepo4 )

like this one:

1594368002880.png

or this one:

1594368051473.png

and put them in these style of battery boxes . . .

1594368140594.png

or you could makr your own mobiule battery box . . . . like this . .

1594368285979.png

or like this . . .

Back