Help / advice needed please - charging/monitor

Scottiec33

VIP Member
Hi All,
I had some excellent advice back in the spring, but have a couple snags and wanted some guidance before I make any mistakes please.
I did my research and things had to bit on a bit of a budget to start with.
I fitted a Durite VSR to my T5.1 under the drivers seat with a kit from simply split charge. This was fitted to an 110AH xtreme AGM. I purchased one of these on recommendation here:
1672219386230.png
This was the camway version.
The shunt on the monitor was fitted as per the instructions. The only thing I did differently was to fit the thin positive cable from the shunt to a fused positive on the fuse board rather than to the positive terminal directly. I did this because I was concerned about safety and also that the wire required to connect to the shunt was so thin, I has no idea how I was going to safely connect it to the positive terminal.

I checked with a multi-meter that the voltage increased on the leisure battery when the engine was running and indeed the battery monitor shows 14v when engine running.

Questions/issues as below if anybody would be kind enough to help?
- The monitor is not showing the battery charging and so the percentage is constantly dropping and doesn't rise on charge. I'm going to return it but wanted to check that it's not because I've wired the thin positive wire from the shunt to a fused positive on the board, rather than the battery terminal directly?
- When the engine is running, I'm seeing 14v across the battery. Is this enough to fully charge the AGM leisure battery, or does it require a higher voltage/charger? What voltage can i expect to take the battery to using only the VSR? After the engine is off and I've made sure the VSR has closed again, the voltage never seems to settle anywhere near to 13v, but I'm wondering if this is the meter again. This is after two decent two hour runs in the van.
- When I connect a mains AGM compliant battery charger to the leisure battery, it opens the VSR the other way. Is this acceptable to charge it or do I need to isolate the VSR from the starter battery first?

Lastly, does anybody know somebody in the Somerset are who can safely sit an external diesel heater?

Thank you very much! Scott.

Unless of course this is something you are keen to pursue your self ?

If so then maybe some pics of your setup and maybe a bit more info

Has it ever worked ?
How long ago did you fit it ?
How old is the battery

Unless of course this is something you are keen to pursue your self ?

If so then maybe some pics of your setup and maybe a bit more info

Has it ever worked ?
How long ago did you fit it ?
How old is the battery
I'd like to sort it myself to be honest after spending a while reading advice on here. The battery is fairly new and never taken below 50%.Fitted late spring. The monitor always worked in terms of voltage reading and seeing the current drawn for appliances. It just never showed a charge going in, even though I know it was from the voltage increase etc.
I'll try and get photos when I can get the seat out again and it's not pouring! Thanks.

I took the seat out today, photo not great but a bit tight in there. I know wiring not overly tidy but didn't want to make unnecessary cuts at this stage. I wired the shunt positive to the battery direct as opposed to via the fuse board and it made no difference so I've taken it out and returned it.
If anybody could help with the charging question I'd be grateful. Thanks.

IMG_20221230_142734.jpg

What these two black wire's?

Screenshot_20221230_173850_Chrome.jpg

With a shunt the only cable of the battery NEG should be the shunt.... All other negs need to go to chassis. (Or the chassis side of the shunt)

And your previous comments about powering the shunt off the 12v fuse block. It will be fine and work correctly.

This help?

Just one cable from neg to shunt ....

Then other side of shunt to neg busbar.

And also chassis NEG.

Screenshot_20221230_174515_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 183548

With a shunt the only cable of the battery NEG should be the shunt.... All other negs need to go to chassis. (Or the chassis side of the shunt)

And your previous comments about powering the shunt off the 12v fuse block. It will be fine and work correctly.
Thank you. One going to the shunt. The other going to the chassis earthing point under the drivers seat matting.

View attachment 183548

All noted ref powering the shunt from the fuse board, thanks.
Do I need to isolate the VSR in order to connect a mains charger for the agm leisure battery as the relay opens when I charge the agm.

Thank you. One going to the shunt. The other going to the chassis earthing point under the drivers seat matting.
Right, well that's incorrect.

You need to move the chassis earth cable from the battery to the chassis side of the shunt,.... Or the NEG busbar.

@Dellmassive sorry for sounding thick here in trying to understand. Are you saying that I should remove the negative from the battery to chassis and instead run a negative from the bus bar to the chassis? Was this causing the monitor not to register charge?

@Dellmassive sorry for sounding thick here in trying to understand. Are you saying that I should remove the negative from the battery to chassis and instead run a negative from the bus bar to the chassis? Was this causing the monitor not to register charge?
Sorry typed this before seeing your response. What does chassis side of shunt mean? Thank you.

All noted ref powering the shunt from the fuse board, thanks.
Do I need to isolate the VSR in order to connect a mains charger for the agm leisure battery as the relay opens when I charge the agm.
No If the charger is connected to the LB side of the VSR.

As the VSR should only switch on when it sees the starter battery voltage rise to it's switch on point.

No If the charger is connected to the LB side of the VSR.

As the VSR should only switch on when it sees the starter battery voltage rise to it's switch on point.
It opens the other way when I connect charger to the LB and I think it said this in the instructions as the charger raises the voltage on the LB side.

Thank you very much. I will wire from the busbar to the chassis tomorrow.
Ref the Durite, the mains charger will take the leisure battery over 13.3v and it opens the VSR back to the car battery. So I assume I have to isolate it from the car battery in order to properly charge the LB from the mains?

Thank you very much. I will wire from the busbar to the chassis tomorrow.
Ref the Durite, the mains charger will take the leisure battery over 13.3v and it opens the VSR back to the car battery. So I assume I have to isolate it from the car battery in order to properly charge the LB from the mains?
I haven't got one to test....

I'm not sure if it will charge backwards or not.... To the starter.

Even if it does, it's no biggy.... You will get both battery's charged...... Eventually.

Back