Hello from the Hoodys, new van, cycle rack required.

Thehoodys

Hi all, I am brand new to the forum, with our recent purchased T6 camper. Not to begin by being needy but I am searching for a cycle rack, we only need capacity for 2 bikes and would really like a black rack to match the black and white van theme. However any genuine VW rack would be good but happy to hear about any Thule or Fiamma options.
We are Norwich based and look forward to reading your posts on this new forum to us, I am sure we can get some good ideas and help with our new expedition into van life. Thanks in anticipation.

Welcome, @Thehoodys I use the Thule Wanderway 2 (for tailgate only) which is the aftermarket version of the model they manufacture for VW. It's really well made, super easy to fit, easy to load up and really secure - I highly recommend it. It's exactly the same as the genuine VW model but has more black elements - so looks better!! I carry an XL 29er MTB with a long wheelbase and have no issues at all. It's not cheap, but you can find some decent deals around, I got a great price and fast delivery from The Roof Box Company.

Welcome. I’m assuming you have a tailgate. We went through a similar process a few months ago and ended up with a Thule Wanderway 2 which is identical to the genuine VW rack. All the options are a compromise so have a think what is important to you. Do you want to open the tailgate with bike on, do you want to keep the rack on all the time, is vehicle height important, do you have/want a towbar, do you want to lock it, are your bikes heavy or large…etc?

The Wanderway is good as it is really solid, can be kept on permanently and with 2 bikes they are well spaced so don’t rub. However, it increases height (bad for car parks!), would be a real struggle with e-bikes, isn’t locked to the vehicle and the tailgate can’t be opened with bikes on. It’s also not black but can be sprayed - there is a thread on here somewhere about doing that.

I also have a Thule 4 bike towbar rack for another vehicle but not used on the T6 as I don’t have a towbar (yet!). This style of rack solves many of the problems above, but introduces other issues such as needing to remove it and needing a towbar. Also, there are few options that allow the tailgate to open.

So, the Wanderway or a Thule or Atera towbar rack are all good, quality racks so long as you’ve assessed what comprises you are willing to make.

Good luck and enjoy the van.

E70DA7E3-4868-463D-8493-5BFB5B4B8C52.jpeg

Hi, and welcome.
I have a genuine VW tailgate bike rack for sale on this forum and I’m only about 1.5 hrs from Norwich. Happy to meet near Norwich or 1/2 way if that helps. See this…
Thread 'Genuine VW T6 Tailgate Bike Rack'
For Sale - Genuine VW T6 Tailgate Bike Rack
Hi Nacho….
I did actually private message you to ask if yours was still for sale. Thanks for getting back to me. I am just digesting the raft of replies I received to my first message on the forum. It is quite surprising how many people out there want to help!!
I am interested in your rack, would just like to know how old it is. If we can do the deal it would be great if we could meet possibly at the services at the A14/A140 roundabout, which I believe is about halfway??
Happy to continue with message or pass my phone number.
Thanks again for the swift reply.
Andy Hood.

Welcome, @Thehoodys I use the Thule Wanderway 2 (for tailgate only) which is the aftermarket version of the model they manufacture for VW. It's really well made, super easy to fit, easy to load up and really secure - I highly recommend it. It's exactly the same as the genuine VW model but has more black elements - so looks better!! I carry an XL 29er MTB with a long wheelbase and have no issues at all. It's not cheap, but you can find some decent deals around, I got a great price and fast delivery from The Roof Box Company.
Thanks for your help.

Hi Nacho….
I did actually private message you to ask if yours was still for sale. Thanks for getting back to me. I am just digesting the raft of replies I received to my first message on the forum. It is quite surprising how many people out there want to help!!
I am interested in your rack, would just like to know how old it is. If we can do the deal it would be great if we could meet possibly at the services at the A14/A140 roundabout, which I believe is about halfway??
Happy to continue with message or pass my phone number.
Thanks again for the swift reply.
Andy Hood.
Hi Andy,
I’ve just responded to your p.m. Rack is 3 years old.
Cheers
Nigel

Welcome. I’m assuming you have a tailgate. We went through a similar process a few months ago and ended up with a Thule Wanderway 2 which is identical to the genuine VW rack. All the options are a compromise so have a think what is important to you. Do you want to open the tailgate with bike on, do you want to keep the rack on all the time, is vehicle height important, do you have/want a towbar, do you want to lock it, are your bikes heavy or large…etc?

The Wanderway is good as it is really solid, can be kept on permanently and with 2 bikes they are well spaced so don’t rub. However, it increases height (bad for car parks!), would be a real struggle with e-bikes, isn’t locked to the vehicle and the tailgate can’t be opened with bikes on. It’s also not black but can be sprayed - there is a thread on here somewhere about doing that.

I also have a Thule 4 bike towbar rack for another vehicle but not used on the T6 as I don’t have a towbar (yet!). This style of rack solves many of the problems above, but introduces other issues such as needing to remove it and needing a towbar. Also, there are few options that allow the tailgate to open.

So, the Wanderway or a Thule or Atera towbar rack are all good, quality racks so long as you’ve assessed what comprises you are willing to make.

Good luck and enjoy the van.

View attachment 184580
The racks all seem different, I have same one as you except my bar at bottom is black like yours but the uprights are silver. I’ve seen another on here where the bottom bar is silver. Odd.

DEDA7A45-A13B-4F97-8284-BC0DEEEC856C.jpeg

The racks all seem different, I have same one as you except my bar at bottom is black like yours but the uprights are silver. I’ve seen another on here where the bottom bar is silver. Odd.

View attachment 187574
It’s because (as referenced above) Thule make the exact same rack for VW to sell as an OEM accessory. There is more silver in the VW OEM version they make vs. the Thule branded Wanderway 2 or 4. Then of course there are those that re spray theirs with all or some extra black!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have moved from a tailgate rack to a fitted Thule rack, so I can tow with the van.

5ACE0FD4-C1C3-4DEC-A4CF-5821272D325F.jpeg
0F22A4A0-37D5-4E28-ADEA-9E19B2BD4F26.jpeg

As stated above, the Thule rack is not all black.

Back