Headlining kombi with sunroof

Rhodders

So, I am in the throes of insulating and lining my 2016 kombi and have a dilemma regarding the headlining.
My van has a sunroof and the oem cab headlining goes back halfway across the sliding door in the passenger compartment. As shown:
20220108_125839.jpg
From this junction there is a narrow ceiling panel to the next roof strengthening rib which is jointed via usual plastic strip to a larger ceiling panel going to the rear door, as shown:20220108_190811.jpg
I plan to retain the oem headlining above the cab, but my question is, can I easily replace the 2 panels with 1 panel which would look better without the join (why does VW have 2 panels?). Can I just make up a 3.6mm ply panel using oems as templates and original fixings, or can you purchase a pre- made one?
I also plan to fit led downlights and cover the panel in a matching headlining - anyone know where I can source a match or similar?
Any advice appreciated.

It is definitely possible to do it in 1 piece has we have completed one or two before.
I just fixed the roof panels in place minus the trim, measure the distance between the two panels and then use them as a template adding the gap between the two on the template ( hope that makes sense !) ( I've got in my head 36mm is the gap but I maybe wrong on that !)

We then used a factory headlining material to cover which was a close match to the factory front cab roof.

It is definitely possible to do it in 1 piece has we have completed one or two before.
I just fixed the roof panels in place minus the trim, measure the distance between the two panels and then use them as a template adding the gap between the two on the template ( hope that makes sense !) ( I've got in my head 36mm is the gap but I maybe wrong on that !)

We then used a factory headlining material to cover which was a close match to the factory front cab roof.
AJC - Thanks for the confirmation that its do-able. What is the factory headlining material that you have used called and who supplies this?

Your welcome.
Mark at Mega van mats in Leeds is the one to ask for the headlining material. The material changes depending on the year so maybe worth asking for samples of what he has if your not local to Leeds.
Just be careful when gluing ! Because they are foam backed you want the spray to come out as a web rather than wet. Keep the glue can a good distance away when spraying. If its wet it sticks the foam backing together and gives a uneven finish.

www.ajcconversions.co.uk

Back