Has anyone ever regretted buying their van?

A very open video on cost of ownership here from Shaun @ABusAndBeyond (you can skip to the end and see the figures) Cost of a new Cali Ocean after 4 years of ownership including servicing and offset by the sale at the end... £13k. - You can't beat the cost of ownership with a car.

I love driving vans. Who knew?
For me it's a great driving position and a great view of the road ahead. Mine is my only vehicle, I'm out in it every day and I find that when I get in a car it feels very low.
I don't even worry about the cost of ownership, many of the things I've enjoyed over the years turned out to be expensive! :slow rofl:

Your van is a sound investment not a good one to earn a lot of money back ( for some may be ) but you will sell it fast should you ever need the cash. you will get what you paid for it back and a little bit more will cover what you have spent. so it's your money sat on the drive to enjoy and not in the bank... just make sure you insure it for its proper value. if you needed to replace it. The values is up on it already 10% so not a bad investment that's better than a building society rate.... build it to what you can afford.. No one is out there judging you or your van... they are only interested in what and how you did it... even if its where you have mounted your bottle opener on a totally standard van ....

In answer to the original question, definitely not. Having been fortunate to survive many laps of the Sun, experience factored massively in what I wanted and how it is to be used. Previously all the other avenues of life blurred the way to a degree and on reflection the only minor regret would be not getting one earlier, even as a Day Van. That said, the quality and choice of today probably wasn’t there.

Potentially the kids would of loved it but camping didn’t seem any less of a good time. The grandkids will hopefully benefit from their exposure to this lifestyle, having already shown great interest. It’s flexibility as a second vehicle is also a real plus. Looking forward to getting back on the road and probably waving at everybody, not just fellow V’Dubbers... :waving::oops:

00D9A7EE-06F1-4E63-A4FE-6E37210FFDEF.jpeg

Last edited:
My biggest regret is not getting one sooner, main issue was getting to a position where the cost wasn't absolutely killing me but now after two years I've got a daily driver that I can move anything I like around in, carry the kids and all their stuff, use as a base for days out and as an overnight camper

Plan to keep mine until they stop selling diesel

Since having mine I have actually started to regret it.
It is only a work van,but unfortunately I just haven't 'jelled' with it in the last 5 months since I bought it.

Will be up for sale soon if anyone is after a 16 plate t6 startline euro 5 with 11k on it.

Going back to a traffic.

It is only a work van,but unfortunately I just haven't 'jelled' with it in the last 5 months since I bought it.

Will be up for sale soon if anyone is after a 16 plate t6 startline euro 5 with 11k on it.

Going back to a traffic.
Personal feelings do, of course, vary and if you prefer the Traffic then that's fair enough, I've never driven one so can't comment, at least I think you have chosen a good time to sell a T6, and a very low mileage one at that, I hope you get top dollar for it. :thumbsup:

Personal feelings do, of course, vary and if you prefer the Traffic then that's fair enough, I've never driven one so can't comment, at least I think you have chosen a good time to sell a T6, and a very low mileage one at that, I hope you get top dollar for it. :thumbsup:

The T6 replaced a traffic i had for 14 years,and the traffic replaced a T4 i had for 10 years,both from new.
I suppose a work horse has different needs to a camper,guess I just got too used to the traffic.

Going from lwb to a swb hasn't done me any favours,but I have 5 different trades worth of tools I need to carry all at once,if I was just a sparks or just a plumber,I could get away with it i guess,but I install kitchens,so I need carpentry,electrical,plumbing/gas,plastering,tiling gear etc always on board.

Hey ho.

Going back to a traffic.
Fair is fair - you gave it a go. By the sounds of it, you’ll get a very good price for your van right now too!

The T6 replaced a traffic i had for 14 years,and the traffic replaced a T4 i had for 10 years,both from new.
I suppose a work horse has different needs to a camper,guess I just got too used to the traffic.

Going from lwb to a swb hasn't done me any favours,but I have 5 different trades worth of tools I need to carry all at once,if I was just a sparks or just a plumber,I could get away with it i guess,but I install kitchens,so I need carpentry,electrical,plumbing/gas,plastering,tiling gear etc always on board.

Hey ho.
at least you will be able to fit a French toilet in it with out a seat ... just drill a hole in the floor

Hey ho.
Sounds to me it was more the LWB to SWB issue, not necessarily the Traffic to VW issue, but we all have different wants and needs.

Sounds to me it was more the LWB to SWB issue, not necessarily the Traffic to VW issue, but we all have different wants and needs.

Not necessarily, it just seems very obvious that transporters attract an unnecessary 'tax' on everything about them,something the loyal fanboys have no problem with.

Well i hope i dont regret my purchase of a LWB T6.1 i have a perfectly good T6 which i converted so why do i need a new one i ask myself?? - well because.....

so i ordered the van and added ACC, curtain airbags, spotlights and mudflaps, phew hope i sell mine now to pay for this in 6 months when it arrives.... so my current van has the 200hp engine in so it would be a shame to go backwards in power so a quick email to the sales man and $4000NZD later its specked with the bigger engine - gawwwd. anyway a trip to dealers this morn for a wing mirror glass left me another $3000 poorer! but i now have the didgital dash upgrade with 8" screen multi media.....

i tell myself i will have this van for a few years and i will enjoy it more with all these extras...... its only money.... and being able to get the 15% sales tax back makes it so much cheaper :)

Right i am just off to ebay now to buy some more bits for it.... i feel like i am having a F##king baby buying all the shit they need well in advance....

Last edited:
Anyone had second thoughts? I like my T6 but I'm not sure I like it enough to justify the near mortgage sized financial ball and chain that has come with it! I've only had it for 6 weeks... Have I f****d up here??!
Hi All,
I have literally been a T6 owner for 2 weeks and I have been thinking this very same question.
I had a 2003 T4 Cali for 8 years, loved the thing. However, it was our daily driver and with its age, kids, bikes and all the family duties, we needed something more practical and went for the Multivan. We forked out for a fancy 204 4motion Panamericana and I am gobsmacked by the difference in fuel economy!!
Its only early days so we havent driven it that much yet, and admittedly I have been experiencing the new power and refinement (although not excessively). That was until until i saw the mfd (low 20's). Since then I have been driving like a pensioner to see how much i can improve it.
I will run some experiments with my foot, the aircon, cruising function (which seems like BS to me), etc, to see what i can get from it.

But how is it that a new (relatively, 4yrs), supposedly efficient 2ltr diesel engine can be so much worse than the old 2.5ltr 5 cylinder from the T4 (that, being a Cali was also always loaded)?

Hi All,
I have literally been a T6 owner for 2 weeks and I have been thinking this very same question.
I had a 2003 T4 Cali for 8 years, loved the thing. However, it was our daily driver and with its age, kids, bikes and all the family duties, we needed something more practical and went for the Multivan. We forked out for a fancy 204 4motion Panamericana and I am gobsmacked by the difference in fuel economy!!
Its only early days so we havent driven it that much yet, and admittedly I have been experiencing the new power and refinement (although not excessively). That was until until i saw the mfd (low 20's). Since then I have been driving like a pensioner to see how much i can improve it.
I will run some experiments with my foot, the aircon, cruising function (which seems like BS to me), etc, to see what i can get from it.

But how is it that a new (relatively, 4yrs), supposedly efficient 2ltr diesel engine can be so much worse than the old 2.5ltr 5 cylinder from the T4 (that, being a Cali was also always loaded)?
Simple answer:
For the last 2 decades very clever engineers have had to focus on designing engines to meet ever more difficult emissions standards, often at the expense of fuel economy. An example of this is using additional fuel to burn off soot in the DPF. I'm not being critical, we all want to breath cleaner air.
Of course, during that period our vehicles have also been fitted with new features to soak up more power and add weight, all to the detriment of economy!

Hi All,

Cruise Control and driving like an octogenarian is your best hope I’m afraid.

To be fair, I also had a T4 before my T6. It was the 2.5tdi 102 engine. Went well. Kitted out as a 5 seater and a raised bed in the back, same as my T6 is now.
My T4 weighed about 1700 kgs unloaded, and did about 35 mpg no matter how I drove it.
My T6 weighs about 2200 kgs and I get about 31 mpg currently, but not done any really long trips, so I expect that to improve. Also got double the power and many more toys.
It doesn’t sound too bad to me so far.

As I only use mine(manual 150 kombi 4mo) for fishing/daily driver,the original plan was a lwb connect.
Probably should have stuck to the original plan...but it is what it is.
Had it for 14 months now,during which time it's been faultless.
Not intending to do any modifications to mine...I like it,just the way it is(if not a little on the large side)
Had to buy something a little more agile though.
Just for Sunday morning scratchin

I hope not.... i haven't taken delivery of mine but every time i speak to the salesman i add another option.... (my doing not his)

have
ACC
Lane change
Digital dash
204ps engine
mudflaps
spotlights
captain seat armrests

it will apparently be the best specked van in NZ and when i have converted to a camper will be awesome

• Love
Reactions: CAB
To be fair, I also had a T4 before my T6. It was the 2.5tdi 102 engine. Went well. Kitted out as a 5 seater and a raised bed in the back, same as my T6 is now.
My T4 weighed about 1700 kgs unloaded, and did about 35 mpg no matter how I drove it.
My T6 weighs about 2200 kgs and I get about 31 mpg currently, but not done any really long trips, so I expect that to improve. Also got double the power and many more toys.
It doesn’t sound too bad to me so far.
Thats certainly a fair point. Got about 38mpg (average) out of my T4 but could push this into the high 40's (and even above), when driving with real care.
I was going to put AT's on her, but im thinking again about it. It will take time to mentally recalibrate myself to the new norm, but i hope this doesnt become obsessive and eat away at me. Other than the economy shock, it is a very beautiful thing, lovely to drive, lots of power and amazing refinement compared to a 20 yr old van :)

Back