Has anyone ever regretted buying their van?

Bish

T6 Pro
Anyone had second thoughts? I like my T6 but I'm not sure I like it enough to justify the near mortgage sized financial ball and chain that has come with it! I've only had it for 6 weeks... Have I f****d up here??!

What have you bought.?

New T6.1 from factory?

Finance... lease hire?

I'm on my 3rd van now . . . . Almost never let me down. And all will have good resale value compared to other makes.

I always have second thoughts after any major purchase! We bought a T5.1 Cali manual a few years ago and upgraded to a T6 Cali DSG in Sept. The only regret is that we watch a lump of money sitting on the drive doing nothing during Covid.
I would suggest that you recognise that the lack of usage currently may be compounding an element of “shopper’s guilt”!

I always have second thoughts after any major purchase! We bought a T5.1 Cali manual a few years ago and upgraded to a T6 Cali DSG in Sept. The only regret is that we watch a lump of money sitting on the drive doing nothing during Covid.
I would suggest that you recognise that the lack of usage currently may be compounding an element of “shopper’s guilt”!
By the way, bear in mind that it is not losing value as quickly as cars or other vans!

Anyone had second thoughts? I like my T6 but I'm not sure I like it enough to justify the near mortgage sized financial ball and chain that has come with it! I've only had it for 6 weeks... Have I f****d up here??!
That's a really interesting question!!!
I'm prone to overthinking things and I have previously asked myself the same question, even though I only paid £26K for mine. I say "only", which is ridiculous for such a large sum of money, but I use that word because I know some of you guys have spent twice that amount on your vans. (and possibly more!)
I concluded that you're only here once, enjoy it, have what you can afford, if you enjoy owning it and you can afford it you haven't f**ked up!!!

Not really, but we all have different circumstances.

Our financial investment is lower than some others because we bought a used van and converted it into a camper ourselves. We have had 18 months of use out of it in this country and abroad, with some fantastic holidays.
We also own it outright.

We haven’t used it for 4 months now due to Covid, but I guess those memories, plus zero financial input, mean that the investment was worthwhile in our heads, and we can see ourselves using it in a few months time.

Pete

I would agree with @JOG here, seeing it sat on the drive/road and not being able to enjoy it will inevitably make you second guess your purchase of a car or van.
Ask yourself if you could get out in it camping etc would you still be having second thoughts?

I don’t think you have f*^@ked up though.

Last edited:
6 weeks is only mid-nov, so not only winter but also lockdown or otherwise restricted.

If you were looking forward to a bit of freedom, camping out in the countryside, seeing a bit of scenery, that's all in the future and still to look forward to. Hang on in there, think of a cool beer in the warm sunshine while sitting outside your lovely van :thumbsup:

I felt a bit like that at the start as I had so many jobs on mine to do which just snowballed into more jobs and expense, but hopefully I’m 90% there, I take any excuse to take the van out and enjoy it, on the plus side sorting out the snagging list kept me sanish I think

I world agree with @JOG here, sitting it sat on the drive/road and not being able to enjoy it will inevitably make you second guess your purchase of a car or van.
Ask yourself if you could get out in it camping etc would you still be having second thoughts?

I don’t think you have f*^@ked up though.
Spending a hunk of money and not getting to use it is disheartening....but this silliness will come to an end.
I think we are all in need of a good meet-up and a beer!

I wouldn’t go as far as saying I regret it, but I do really miss my 2018 Tiguan R-Line 240 Bi-Tdi 4Motion DSG (Christ, that’s a mouthful) that I had from new. The 240 Bi-Tdi is no longer available so wish I still had it.
But when I’m out in the van, drinking a nice cup of coffee and eating a bacon sandwich, I just say to myself, “I couldn’t do this in the Tiguan”.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying I regret it, but I do really miss my 2018 Tiguan R-Line 240 Bi-Tdi 4Motion DSG (Christ, that’s a mouthful) that I had from new. The 240 Bi-Tdi is no longer available so wish I still had it.
But when I’m out in the van, drinking a nice cup of coffee and eating a bacon sandwich, I just say to myself, “I couldn’t do this in the Tiguan”.
I miss my Range Rover, which was a child-free zone by the way! I also miss my goes-like-a-scorched-cat, child-free zone, two-door Mercedes! (Yes, I never revealed when I found the isofix fixings either down the back seats!)

But, when the boys, the dogs and SWMBO are enjoying a “Party Wagon Picnic” on a day out.....I wouldn’t change it for either!!!

When I got mine it was going to do this that and the other and take me to some great places ....and it does ....but I’ve never owned a vehicle that I can change so much to suit my needs...bit like a Swiss army knife
Cant help with the financial chain ..but for fun factor...priceless :)

Only you can justify it for your personal situation. We have all bought / financed ours for many different reasons. The main one being a lifestyle choice, whether it be a £15k work van or a £80k camper

I miss my Range Rover, which was a child-free zone by the way! I also miss my goes-like-a-scorched-cat, child-free zone, two-door Mercedes! (Yes, I never revealed when I found the isofix fixings either down the back seats!)

But, when the boys, the dogs and SWMBO are enjoying a “Party Wagon Picnic” on a day out.....I wouldn’t change it for either!!!
I should add, I do resent the money I splurged over the years on cars that never came close to the versatility and “cruising pleasure” that my T5.1 did and my current van gives!!!

When I got mine it was going to do this that and the other and take me to some great places

That’s a good point.
It’s great to be able to just get up and go on the spur of the moment.
Like last September when I did the NC500 without having to ring round booking hotels and B&B’s etc, you couldn’t do that in your car.

Only you can justify it for your personal situation. We have all bought / financed ours for many different reasons. The main one being a lifestyle choice, whether it be a £15k work van or a £80k camper
And that's the point of T6's, the variety of uses to which they are put. There can be few forums like this which cater for the tradesman who uses his / her T6 every day for work, or the camper owner who uses their T6 twice a month for weekends away.

Back