MPG + Fuel Economy - What Mine Does - 204PS P/V

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
MPG + Fuel Economy - What Mine Does -

MPG and fuel economy is a constant hot topic with today's fuel prices.

its important to remember that a lot of factors effect the MPG.

Extra Weight, Extra Load, wind resistance from roof boxes and bars can all effect the outcome.

Driving style and driving conditions also effect the figures . . . . .

we all know that you get better MPG from motorway miles vs city miles . . . .

I've found that the best way to monitor MPG is not by looking at the MFD range but to get some real life data over the full tank of fuel . . . . . on a long term basis.

One of my pet hates its filling the tank with DERV. . . . . it does my nut in !!

So i always leave it till the last minute, i normally wait till the MFD will signal 0/5/10miles before reluctantly heading for a PFS.

I always used to take a picture of the dash (date & millage) and a pic of the pump (refill Ltrs, cost) and make my own Excel sheet to get the average data over the weeks, months, years, tanks.

Now days its even easier with a smart phone and one of the numerous apps available . . . . I've tried most of them. My current favorite is one called FUELIO.

Fuelio - fuel log, mileage and costs tracker for Android

58.JPG

its a great app that lets you enter the data you need and gives you all the MPG info you need.

The more entries you give it the more accurate your MPG figures will be. I've used it from day#1 on the T6 so lets see what we have.

The van spec is a MY18 EU6 T6 204 DSG Pavel van (70ltr tank) (18inch alloys) with a heavy load and no Roof bars or boxes.

This is what we get:

Full tank averages are 25-35mpg

average fill volume @ 65ltrs

worst tank range: 304miles

best tank range: 507miles

average tank range: 400miles

Screenshot_20190403-142719_Fuelio.jpg
Screenshot_20190403-142747_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190403-142931_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190403-142943_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190403-142956_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190403-143014_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190403-143023_Fuelio.jpg Screenshot_20190403-143032_Fuelio.jpg

ill update this list moving forwards.

@Dellmassive

That looks like a handy app. I'll have some of that.

Incidently, how do those figures compare to what your MFD is reporting?

The MFD is guesstimating you range from your recent MPG values . . . . . so its kinda out, if you were doing city miles and went to motorway miles it will adapt.

The MPG averages from MFD to App are similar . . . . but again the MFD is the current average . . . . . . not the whole tank long term average.

so the best way is to calculate the MPG over the full tank, so fill up & note millage. Then drive till the MFD shows 0-miles. Fill up the tank again and note the new millage. Then just divide the refueled amount by the traveled miles. (or just put the figure in the app and let it do it for you)

so the best way is to calculate the MPG over the full tank, so fill up & note millage. Then drive till the MFD shows 0-miles. Fill up the tank again and note the new millage. Then just divide the refueled amount by the traveled miles. (or just put the figure in the app and let it do it for you)

Yeah I'm sold already.

I kind of curse the MPG report on the MFD. It's annoying and satisfying at the same time. I always find myself chasing the numbers by trying different driving styles to see if I can get the MPG to increase. Even a small increase brings a satisfying feeling (Sorry if that was you stuck behind me on the A404 on Saturday LOL) but it becomes too much after a while. I'll then stick my boot down to get home but then have to repeat the process the following day to try and get the figures back up again!

That's normal, right?

Yeah I'm sold already.

I kind of curse the MPG report on the MFD. It's annoying and satisfying at the same time. I always find myself chasing the numbers by trying different driving styles to see if I can get the MPG to increase. Even a small increase brings a satisfying feeling (Sorry if that was you stuck behind me on the A404 on Saturday LOL) but it becomes too much after a while. I'll then stick my boot down to get home but then have to repeat the process the following day to try and get the figures back up again!

That's normal, right?

The average consumption on the mfd was my default setting for ages, and like you say i found myself trying to get it higher all the time. To the point i wasn't enjoying driving the bloody thing. Now the mfd is on anything but the average consumption.

The average consumption on the mfd was my default setting for ages, and like you say i found myself trying to get it higher all the time. To the point i wasn't enjoying driving the bloody thing. Now the mfd is on anything but the average consumption.

Yeah, tis the devil's digital workings.

I'd be happy with the big MPH display but haven't got around to having the VCDS tweaks yet. Might have to settle for the Ad-Blue filling range in the meantime lol.

After leaving a meeting in London I was in no rush to get home. Sun was shining and the tunes were rocking so I was in no rush to get home. Cruise control set at 54 mph so no need to change out of the inside lane. M25 & M40 with zero congestion.

This was taken after 100 miles of constant 54 mph.

204 DSG Kombi with just me.

fullsizeoutput_215d.jpeg

Why 54mph not 56mph?
Because I didn't want to creep up on slower trucks. I found it very relaxing when you don't need to overtake anything which is unusual for me as I'm normally in such a rush to get to places but I've found that slow cruising is a much more pleasurable way to travel. Normal service will soon resume I'm sure but for the moment I'm enjoying this newly found style of driving.

Hi all, 67 plate 150 hline,manual, 49mpg on a run...between 60 and 70mph, 37mpg in town/short trips...only ever put vpower diesel or equivalent...

Hi T6’ers. 150 DSG high line. Kombi. Only done 1300 miles so far 1337 on the clock last week got 47.2 to Manchester and back from near Portsmouth. Average speed was 65 on motorways and 60 on dual and 50 on single. I’m expecting this to go up as my old golf didn’t start delivering its full potential until 15k. I assume the engines in the T6s require a similar distance to loosen up?

Hi T6’ers. 150 DSG high line. Kombi. Only done 1300 miles so far 1337 on the clock last week got 47.2 to Manchester and back from near Portsmouth. Average speed was 65 on motorways and 60 on dual and 50 on single. I’m expecting this to go up as my old golf didn’t start delivering its full potential until 15k. I assume the engines in the T6s require a similar distance to loosen up?

I have exact same spec - its taken 25k to get into 50’s consistently at the speeds you mention. To get 62mpg on my work run when I could rarely get 48mpg average just shows they get better.

I don't for one second think it was an actual 62 but its what the MFD said and I have never seen that before. Yes I think I have adapted my driving style but its not changed that drastically that quickly.

I have exact same spec - its taken 25k to get into 50’s consistently at the speeds you mention. To get 62mpg on my work run when I could rarely get 48mpg average just shows they get better.

I don't for one second think it was an actual 62 but its what the MFD said and I have never seen that before. Yes I think I have adapted my driving style but its not changed that drastically that quickly.

Cheers for the reply PukkaT6. Wow! 25k to loosen up, i’m really impressed with the T6, quality bit of kit.

I do check but I get bored with the dash numbers, I know it's doing better than it says because on the same average use, roads, driving style and mileage each month I reckon I'm saving a tank of fuel a month compared to my SWB Sprinter that did 32mpg

Dash says anything from 29 - 35mpg weekly and each and every Shire horse is being used to the max

204 DSG
4MOTION
Loaded-ish
20's
roof bars
ABT kit
and master of the traffic light grand prix !

Now that's what you call a tank of fuel....

69.95ltrs and I've got a 70ltr tank.!

Wonder how much reserve I had left before running out?

20190909_141837.jpg

Back