Handbrake

teddy

Hi, my T6 camper van is infrequently used and can be stuck in the drive for up to 3 weeks if we don't go away for the weekend. I attempted to drive away last weekend and after releasing the handbrake the van was stuck and would only move after excessive revs. Spoke to my mate who said best to have 2 breeze blocks either side of one of the tyres, leave it in gear and dont engage the handbrake. Anybody have similar issues? Thanks

Mine seizes after a couple of days.

Mine too.
I leave it in gear with the handbrake off. I had the van roll back down a hill; the handbrake was fully on. I don’t trust it at all.

Also hard/impossible to swivel the front drivers seat once on levelling ramps; you need to take the handbrake off (it gets inter way) but it won’t hold properly in gear.

Stationary hills are definitely a T6 weakness.

Only use my handbrake on a slope and always left in gear. Far more reliable. It's usually the pads sticking to the disk so you can't do much about it.

I thought bump starting diesels was a no go anyway - doesnt some type of coil/plug need to heat up to avoid damage?

I thought bump starting diesels was a no go anyway - doesnt some type of coil/plug need to heat up to avoid damage?

Nope because the ignition coil heats with just the ignition on; no combustive power needed. That’s why there’s a slight delay on starting; to allow it to heat. And on older diesels, you turned the ignition on and waited for the coil light to go out before starting.

I had an utter turd of a first car and became rather adept at bump starting. Done it for others many times.

Last edited:
I just thought that if battery flat there would be no power to heat it, you learn something new everyday.

Back