H4 headlight unit - part went ping

crell

I was just swapping a h4 bulb on my van and heard a ping. I think a little retainer popped out of the headlight unit - leaving the hole shown in the pic and what item 3 - the spring clip, latches on to to hold the bulb securely.

Is this a new headlight unit job as I don’t see the part listed :(
Thanks …: and help :)

F7AF4460-919A-44E2-B9E0-B5F5B29F4332.jpeg

A772555A-5E93-4DF4-BD98-F0E614AC1904.jpeg

‘H4 bulb clip’

There’s a few previous cases, the info’ you need will almost certainly be there.

I did use the search before I posted the question… endless posts about bulbs, headlight unit upgrades, a couple about the spring but nothing I could find on the bit I think I’ve lost?

As far as I see you have 4 options:
1. Remove the engine tray and have a good search for it.
2. If you are good with your hands you could remove the opposite side and make one from wire. I did this before I got rid of my H4’s.
3. Pick up a spare H4 light, they are almost impossible to sell secondhand, so you might get away with just paying postage. Somebody might even post you a clip. Upgrade to VIP Membership and put a Wanted Ad‘ on the Forum.
4. Upgrade to OEM H7’s, THQ type or others brands.

Looks like you have lost a bit that pushes into the hole, it must be there somewhere. Not sure if you can buy replacements

CB578B41-DBC2-45C8-AE7F-19AFC6B009EE.jpeg

Changing bulbs is a bit awkward, some do it with the headlamps in place, some removing the battery and airbox.
My preference is to whip the front of the van off and remove the headlamps, it’s straight forward and doesn’t take very long.

As far as I see you have 4 options:
1. Remove the engine tray and have a good search for it.
2. If you are good with your hands you could remove the opposite side and make one from wire. I did this before I got rid of my H4’s.
3. Pick up a spare H4 light, they are almost impossible to sell secondhand, so you might get away with just paying postage. Somebody might even post you a clip. Upgrade to VIP Membership and put a Wanted Ad‘ on the Forum.
4. Upgrade to OEM H7’s, THQ type or others brands.

Thanks, I've been mullling over all those over since losing the part :)

I don't suppose you have a link to a post where you shared the piece you fashioned as a temp replacement?

Will drop the tray when I get some time tomorrow to see if I can find it and I've found a H4 headlight set for £60 locally (If the seller gets back) as a backup to either cannibalise the clip or replace the unit.

I've also been looking for Caravelle H7's on ebay and FBM. I would have gone straight to THQ as an excuse to upgrade but they can't fit till feb (I'm not that mechanically minded to do it myself - as this post proves :) ).

Changing bulbs is a bit awkward, some do it with the headlamps in place, some removing the battery and airbox.
My preference is to whip the front of the van off and remove the headlamps, it’s straight forward and doesn’t take very long.
Yes I had the air filter box out this time (I've learned from prior experience of losing skin). Not sure I feel competent enough to start removing the whole lights though

I don't suppose you have a link to a post where you shared the piece you fashioned as a temp replacement?

Will drop the tray when I get some time tomorrow to see if I can find it and I've found a H4 headlight set for £60 locally (If the seller gets back) as a backup to either cannibalise the clip or replace the unit.

I've also been looking for Caravelle H7's on ebay and FBM. I would have gone straight to THQ as an excuse to upgrade but they can't fit till feb (I'm not that mechanically minded to do it myself - as this post proves :) ).
I never posted the fabricated clip, just a case of copying the one from the opposite side with some suitable wire.
If you go on the THQ site there’s a video showing how the front end comes off, basic tools and not difficult.

No point paying for replacement H4 (especially at £60- most people can’t give them away) you’re better waiting for a pair of H7’s.
If you can’t find the part that pinged off then bond the clip in with some epoxy - be getting binned anyway when you get some H7.

Back