Replacing H4 headlight units

JamesDon

I've got a T6 Startline with H4 headlights where the glass/plastic is covered in a trillion little stone chips so don't look great when lit.
I see that there are lots of these available at low cost so I'm wondering how big of a job it would be just to replace like for like?
And whilst I'm at it should I look for the H7 variant or is there anything even better without going for the THQ or factory LED.

Thank you

Plenty of H4s on ebay, and a few for free on here. Easy to replace, see the video on the thread linked below.

However, if you ever drive in the dark to places with no street lights, then get yourself some H7s.

Thanks guys
I've got the +200% bulbs in my current H4 headlights and they did make an improvement but I'd like further improvements with H7 if I can pick up a set in good condition!

Well that looks like the solution! Fantastic strong and consistent beam.
Unfortunately illegal and could mean your insurance is invalid depending on the incident. Each to their own though of course.

Difficult to tell from a pic but the top dipped picture has little cut off. The way it is lighting up the gate on the far right looks like it could be pretty dazzling for oncoming drivers.

The road to nowhere is paved with good intent.
All too often in life we say one thing and do another ie. don't do that it's naughty while we hammer down the road at 70mph in a van that should, legally, be doing 60mph.
Led lamps will be just as "off road use only" as Hid lamps in a set of expensive after market VW Led look projector headlights, put anything other than the original stock wattage tungsten lamps in ie. those 150/200% brighter night blinders and you're back into "off road use only" territory and definitely no better off if you stick with stock tungsten lamps in those new expensive projector style housings.
Read into my pictures above what you want but do bear in mind I tend to mostly drive around on dipped beam which is the top picture, as you've pointed out the gate is slightly illuminated but so is the background sky by sodium street lighting from Daventry 15 miles to the east, on main beam in the bottom picture loads more stuff is illuminated which really helps at times, just saying.

I tried loads of exspensive bulbs in my h4s still wasn’t happy with them but I like the oem look so bought a pair of h7’s off a fellow member ( for same amount I spent on bulbs for the h4s) and well pleased with them! Save yourself the money no bulbs are going to make the h4s any better

Is there any way of telling the difference from the front if you can't see the sticker? Just seen these on marketplace Screenshot_20221121_185251_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221121_185251_Facebook.jpg

Those are H4s. The giveaway is a dimpled reflector of the inner light chamber for the DRL

H7s also have the DRL lamp under the outer dipped beam chamber.

Those are H4s. The giveaway is a dimpled reflector of the inner light chamber for the DRL

H7s also have the DRL lamp under the outer dipped beam chamber.
Thanks mate, handy tip.
I've now noticed how many pairs of H4's are out there and how few H7's!

Reactions: CAB
Thanks mate, handy tip.
I've now noticed how many pairs of H4's are out there and how few H7's!
I look for the hole in the reflector with the little bulb sticking out.

Hole outside of the bigger bulb =H4

Hole to the inside of the headlight =H7

And as @dubber36 says, H7 with the DRL under the main reflector, H4s just a black void!!

The road to nowhere is paved with good intent.
All too often in life we say one thing and do another ie. don't do that it's naughty while we hammer down the road at 70mph in a van that should, legally, be doing 60mph.
Led lamps will be just as "off road use only" as Hid lamps in a set of expensive after market VW Led look projector headlights, put anything other than the original stock wattage tungsten lamps in ie. those 150/200% brighter night blinders and you're back into "off road use only" territory and definitely no better off if you stick with stock tungsten lamps in those new expensive projector style housings.
Read into my pictures above what you want but do bear in mind I tend to mostly drive around on dipped beam which is the top picture, as you've pointed out the gate is slightly illuminated but so is the background sky by sodium street lighting from Daventry 15 miles to the east, on main beam in the bottom picture loads more stuff is illuminated which really helps at times, just saying.
As I said, each to their own and it’s difficult to tell from a picture.

It’s not main beam that’s the problem, because hopefully that is not being used with someone else coming the other way. It’s the poor cut off and glare in dipped beam that is common when LEDs/HIDs are put in reflector lenses that are not designed for them. That is why it is not approved. That’s not to say every one is poor and there are probably combinations that are fine (although unfortunately still illegal). Passing an MOT is no proof of legality and just shows how lax the tester was as LED/HID bulbs in a halogen designed headlamp became a mandatory fail from Jan 21.

The 150-200% bulbs (such as Osram Nightbreaker) are fully road legal as long as they are E marked. Non E marked bulbs, such as wrong coloured or higher wattage ones (or aftermarket LED and HID) are not legal.

Personally, I would recommend going the H7 route and sticking with E marked bulbs. The performance is better than the H4 as the individual lenses are designed for their job rather than the combined lens in the H4. The swap can be done for not much more than a set of LED bulbs, with no worries of future MOT failure or insurance issues.

@Long tall John You sure you had the volume turned up high enough?
If I'm honest I actually try never to labour the engine when accelerating to avoid that familiar VW death rattle bark you can hear when some yob canes his work van version, good to catch you mate and following your lead now by going lifePo4 and solar, you're a bad influence! :thumbsup:

Nope, I don’t have solar and I don’t have hook up. 100ah lithium battery, and the same 50amp DC, DC charger that you’ve got. I can go four days four nights without having to drive. I don’t get the point of solar up with this set up. 2 Hour drive and the battery is fully charged again.

Back