Getting the lower wing mirror trim off

snoop6060

T6 Pro
Afternoon,

How do I get the lower wing mirror trim off ?

I can see that if you tilt the mirror fully down you can see three plastic clips. They are very hard to get to and not entirely clear how to get them to release, either at the top of bottom. They look like they break easily. From what i gather i need to release these, the top comes off then I can remove the bottom.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Si

Afternoon,

How do I get the lower wing mirror trim off ?

I can see that if you tilt the mirror fully down you can see three plastic clips. They are very hard to get to and not entirely clear how to get them to release, either at the top of bottom. They look like they break easily. From what i gather i need to release these, the top comes off then I can remove the bottom.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Si

if you look at becoming a vip member, theres a whole load of tech documents available, or able to be supplied m8, im sure @Loz, or @Pauly will let you know the benefits in more detail..

1. Remove glass by tilting up, then levering out with your fingers.
2. remove screws at the bottom
3. Gently lever the trim apart with a trim tool this normally results in some of the 3 clips that come up from the bottom breaking but you are replacing the bottom part so that shouldn’t be a problem.

General_body_repairs__wing mirror cover.png

Last edited:
Legend :) thanks!

I wasn't planning on replacing it just sticking a cover to it. Want it perfectly flush so doin with the cover off indoors. Think they are only £7.50ish mind so will get new ones ordered just in case.

Is this the sort of stuff in the VIP area then? Might join up as for a few things planned. Amp, rear view camera etc. All gonna mean taking my dash to bits.

Legend :) thanks!

I wasn't planning on replacing it just sticking a cover to it. Want it perfectly flush so doin with the cover off indoors. Think they are only £7.50ish mind so will get new ones ordered just in case.

Is this the sort of stuff in the VIP area then? Might join up as for a few things planned. Amp, rear view camera etc. All gonna mean taking my dash to bits.
VIP gives access to tech info via @Loz or @Pauly etc.. They will get wat you need.. Have a read of the button VIP membership..

Know your enemy - this is what the clips on the top cover look like.
Not easy to release as they fit into slots in the bottom cover that prevent them being pushed away from their catches. Luckily I only broke one. Give me visible screws any day!IMG_1119.JPG

Is it always the clips on the bottom part that break or can it be the tops? I wouldnt mind replacing the bottom parts as both are scuffed and I believe they are not too expensive?

Is it always the clips on the bottom part that break or can it be the tops? I wouldnt mind replacing the bottom parts as both are scuffed and I believe they are not too expensive?
I’ve broken clips on the top cover every single time I’ve had them apart, even knowing exact where the clips are. I’ve never broken a single clip on the bottom sections, they’re still the originals

That’s odd - I broke most clips on the lower but not on the upper. Which is good, as the lower is cheap to replace whilst the upper would have needed painting to match.

That’s odd - I broke most clips on the lower but not on the upper. Which is good, as the lower is cheap to replace whilst the upper would have needed painting to match.
Exactly, that's what I find so annoying. Never have a problem with lowers.

I’ve broken clips on the top cover every single time I’ve had them apart, even knowing exact where the clips are. I’ve never broken a single clip on the bottom sections, they’re still the originals

I've had my bottom ones off loads of times using the method that @Loz mentioned and never broken anything either:thumbsup:

Now that I've got mine back together and back on the van I've realised I could have drilled tiny holes in the bottom cover, opposite to the tabs on the top cover, so that next time (and there's bound to be a next time) I could push each tab in with a paper clip or something to release it.
Maybe someone who has theirs apart could give us the measurements for where the holes shoul be?

Maybe a downloadable template we could print out on A4 and use to drill our own next time we need to remove..

Now that I've got mine back together and back on the van I've realised I could have drilled tiny holes in the bottom cover, opposite to the tabs on the top cover, so that next time (and there's bound to be a next time) I could push each tab in with a paper clip or something to release it.
Maybe someone who has theirs apart could give us the measurements for where the holes shoul be?

Do you still need some measurements or a template? I have 2 lowers sat in a box waiting for uppers to arrive?

Pic of clips on bottom mirror plastic

image-jpg.40811

After an encounter with a stout hedge while avoiding an HGV......... I've just replaced the lower plastic on my passenger mirror. Most of the clips were already broken on the lower, along with half of one on the upper. All went together OK though, once I'd got the DAB aerial etc all lined up. It didn't look as though it would work, but then tightening up the two Torx head screws pulled it all together very satisfyingly. Plastic was £14 delivered from Part Haus. When it first happened I was assuming at least £50, so good result

After an encounter with a stout hedge while avoiding an HGV......... I've just replaced the lower plastic on my passenger mirror. Most of the clips were already broken on the lower, along with half of one on the upper. All went together OK though, once I'd got the DAB aerial etc all lined up. It didn't look as though it would work, but then tightening up the two Torx head screws pulled it all together very satisfyingly. Plastic was £14 delivered from Part Haus. When it first happened I was assuming at least £50, so good result
As a reminder, there's a guide available to VIP members that details how to avoid breaking the clips, without an A4 template or drilling anything

Back