Gearbox replacement 5 speed to 6 speed

MY14 (thus a T5) Euro5 140 6 speed. The Instruments is the very basic one.

Address 01: Engine (J623-CAAC) Labels: 03L-906-022-CAA.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 019 GQ HW: 03L 907 309 L
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H38 5579
Revision: 22H38--- Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 0119401A232401080000

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 920 860 J HW: 7E0 920 860 J
Component: KOMBI H04 0709
Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 160201​

I would plan on a remap after installing the box, maybe copying a Six speed engine map might be the answer?

I would plan on a remap after installing the box, maybe copying a Six speed engine map might be the answer?

Would seem like that is looking like the solution.

I had a look at the gearbox coding in my engine module and got the same drop down list options as @mmi but when I tried to select any other gear box I would get the 'Error 31: request out of range' message.

Hello guys, i have an passat b6 1,9 tdi 105 BLS i have swapped it with an 6 speed gearbox, but the cruisecontrol wont work with 6 speed, it works fine with all other gears.
Do you guys have any idea what i could do to make it work with 6 gear?

Have a look on the Ross tech forums, but this may well be a coding issue. You may have to get the correct engine map for this to work correctly.

Have a look on the Ross tech forums, but this may well be a coding issue. You may have to get the correct engine map for this to work correctly.
I tried to code to 6 speed with vcds but got error 31, do you know anyone that can help me to get the correct map?

I don’t think vag com is what you need. For replacing engine maps you need a MPPS cable. V13 should be ok for the 1.9pd.
I have one when I used to mess around with my T5 1.9. You will pull a copy of the engine map off the car then mod the file with a hex editor. I would suggest you find someone who can mod the map for you.
And always keep an original copy of your map you can use to put back on if the car doesn’t like the modded one.

eBay have loads of clone MPPS cables and these should work fine. ... or at least mine did.

Otherwise maybe a local mapper?

I don’t think vag com is what you need. For replacing engine maps you need a MPPS cable. V13 should be ok for the 1.9pd.
I have one when I used to mess around with my T5 1.9. You will pull a copy of the engine map off the car then mod the file with a hex editor. I would suggest you find someone who can mod the map for you.
And always keep an original copy of your map you can use to put back on if the car doesn’t like the modded one.

eBay have loads of clone MPPS cables and these should work fine. ... or at least mine did.

Otherwise maybe a local mapper?
I have mpps, i have the original file aswell.
No local mappers could help me with this:/
Can you help me if i pay you for it?

I will just add that I have a Revo map on this van and it’s great, maybe an email to them directly could be worth a shot? As you don’t need a full remap just a tweak on the map they may be able to help or give advice if it’s the way forward.... as I’ve never done it I can’t say for sure.

I will just add that I have a Revo map on this van and it’s great, maybe an email to them directly could be worth a shot? As you don’t need a full remap just a tweak on the map they may be able to help or give advice if it’s the way forward.... as I’ve never done it I can’t say for sure.
Ah, i will try to take contact to Revo, thanks for your help mate :)

Reanimating the topic :cool: , has anyone already done it? :sneaky: I am waiting for the replacement of the complete clutch and this is a good moment to replace the 5 speed gearbox with 6 speed

its still on my list of jobs, especially if I could find a 4motion box or a 4motion DSG.

The coding for remapping the engine doesn't contain any gearbox data so the coding is still an unknown, but I'm sure it will be worked out soon.
Probably need to find out why most ECU's wont allow change of gearbox and just display 'Error 31: request out of range' message when attempting it.

Without it, my guess is you'll end up without stop/start, gear position display or cruise in 6th - like user 'Gileswater' in the thread @mmi linked here: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/gearbox-replacement-5-speed-to-6-speed.3890/post-147487

Have you tried changing your gearbox type in your Engine control module to see if it will allow it?

It wouldn't allow it for me. I don't know if that's because the 5sp gearbox is still connected or if the coding isn't in the engine ECU. I'm wondering if you need to swap the engine ECU at the same time which means finding an ECU for a 6sp van with Euro 5 CAAB engine. I don't even know if this exists.

Does anyone have the gearbox wiring diagrams which could help? I'm not certain there is a electrical control unit on the 6sp box like the DSG has.

EDIT - The gearbox doesn't have and ECU in it to code. Only the DSG boxes have an ECU. I think I'll look more into the coding before swapping my box. Does anyone have a VCDS scan of a Euro5 6speed van or have one I can scan?

Last edited:
Thanks

I have byte1 as 11 (5sp Manual), I'll try changing it to 19 later (6sp Manual) and look for other areas where the gearbox is programmed.

Reactions: mmi
I tried to make the change, but it wasn't excepted. I wish I had time to look at it more because my 5sp engine is mapped and I tow a heavy trailer a lot, so it's a ticking time bomb.

I've read rumors of 5sp gearboxes failing, but I've never met anyone or seen anyone where it has failed.

Back