Gas BBQ recommendations.

We have a Cadac safari too, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better all round cooking appliance for a camper. Even though we have a Smev 9222 in the van it never ever gets used, the Cadac is the cooker for us, the pizza stone even makes a fair pizza out of a ready made one too. Possibly the only downside is that unlike a disposable it needs washing before putting away but that's the case for any gas BBQ
Ditto - our Smev hob only gets used for boiling water, pasta, rice, etc.. All of the cooking is done outside on the Cadac (Grillogas - slightly larger than the Safari but still packs down well and has the advantage of standing at a useable height on its own legs). We plug it into the van's external supply and, following earlier advice on here re backup supply, have a Cadac Power Pack stashed in the gas locker and carry a couple of the Cadac cylinders when we know the main supply (Camping Gaz 907) is getting below half full.

Out of curiosity, how long does a 907 last you on the Cadac? I have 2 cylinders for it and we used half of one on a three week trip to France, another half of one on another 3 week trip to France and neither are empty yet after about 6 weeks camping in the UK

Out of curiosity, how long does a 907 last you on the Cadac? I have 2 cylinders for it and we used half of one on a three week trip to France, another half of one on another 3 week trip to France and neither are empty yet after about 6 weeks camping in the UK
We have done 26 nights since getting the van in October - I swapped the 907 out after 20 days, it wasn't quite empty but was down to circa 0.5 kg of gas (based on weighing against a known full one). We use the Cadac for breakfast every morning (I like a good fry up when camping!) and dinner probably every other night - most of the evening meals I do would involve the Cadac running for at least 30 minutes a time (sometimes a lot longer).

Had a Cadac which was good but then got a Beauclaire gas ring with cast griddle, got to say it's the best i've ever had so quick to cook, has a huge paella pan too. I bought this probably 10 years ago and they are hard to come by now, just had a spare burner for it delivered from a company in Bradford.

Had a Cadac which was good but then got a Beauclaire gas ring with cast griddle, got to say it's the best i've ever had so quick to cook, has a huge paella pan too. I bought this probably 10 years ago and they are hard to come by now, just had a spare burner for it delivered from a company in Bradford.
I have a similar, 3 ring paella burner, that I use for my big paella pan at home - never really considered taking it camping - burns through quite a lot of gas though.

I purchased a small Foker gas ring , but very heavy, not used it yet but think im also going to get the cadac safari 2 lp.

Found a couple of Coleman RoadTrip Pro BBQs out in the store a while back so I've grabbed one for myself seems to do the job nicely, got 1 spare if anyone is interested 2A973B9B-6989-4C49-B5A0-F479FCBD7A70.JPG 4CEA9E23-9CE4-4BFE-B96C-7AA938C2849D.JPG

Cadac isn’t a bbq it’s a hot plate, so if you are on hook up you might as well buy a electric hot plate as you’ve paid for hook up! If you want a nice mobile quality bbq go for the Weber q1200 proper little gas bbq and you can use mini gas canisters on the side, even has a little cradle for it, Sorry cadac owners don’t get angry !
For hook up cooking, like breakfast, curries, chillies etc I use a vonchef electric wok basically which costs nothing to use as I’ve already paid for hook up

Last edited:
Looking for suggestions for a BBQ to atatch to my propex system?.
What have you guys got? Recommend etc?.
We normally use our green-egg but space will be limited so looking for alternative.

Thanks.

Hi Fish, we have a Magma Newport 2, very compact and many mounting options and has built in fold out legs. Pricey tho as its stainless steel. But brilliant!

Has anyone had issues with the Cadac Safari (original) not getting proper hot? Don't get me wrong it cooks the food adequately when on full but with the slightest wind it starts to struggle. I find it really difficult to burn my bbq food the way it should be:)

Back