Fuel Gauge defective

Janis

VIP Member
Hi is any hawe before problem with fuel gauge my not works and wonder is problem is in tank unit needs be changed or can be adjusted??? thanks

A couple of people have had issues with it sticking, normally clears itself after a refill

Sometimes they stick showing full, it’s possible another full tank will take it back to normal, worth a try before taking to dealer

run the van to empty, filled up with fuel and not registering, still showing gauge empty and 0 range, any ideas. Please as I know I put the fuel in?

Oh. That's an odd one....

Did you fill the tank to the top?

The reserve at the bottom of the tank is about 10ltrs before the gauge will start registering...

First thing to try is filling the tank to the top......

Then....

You can try getting under the van and banging hard on the bottom of the fuel tank..... maybe the float is stuck.

If it's electrical you could try disconnecting the battery for 15mins.

Got gota say I've not come across that before....

I have had the opposite a couple times, i.e. fill the tank to the brim but after a couple of hundred miles the needle still shows full - times it has happened is after driving up/down some Lake District hills shortly after filing up. As above my assumption is the the float is getting stuck.

Drive it around a bit too. A sleeping policeman or 2 might dislodge it.

Pete

Thanks, it’s all a bit weird, since reading zero distance, it been gradually creaking up to 110km and now just above the red with the low fuel light now off, but it’s rising bery slowly and this is after 1 hours driving, I expect it will keep rising more, but what could it be, it all seams a bit odd?

I don't know if anyone can help, the fuel gauge was showing a quarter of a tank of fuel then a warning flashed up saying 55 miles left to go. I went to a garage and filled the tank 62 litres when I restarted the fuel gauge was only up to three quarters full. Today I drove 160 miles and the gauge is still on three quarters.

Any ideas?

Stuck float . . . .or glitch in the matrix . . . ?

try filling up till the pump kicks off . . . . (so you know 100% the tank is full)

then read the gauge . . . . if its not showing full - try banging on the bottom of the tank to see if the float is stuck . . . .

if no change try a full reset . . . .

Go home, open bonnet and disconnect both battery cables . . . . wait a few mins . . . . . . then touch the 2 "battery cables" together (capacitive discharge) for a few seconds. (MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS TOTALLY DISCONNECTED AND THE BATTERY TERMINALS ARE FULLY COVERED WITH A RAG ETC - DO NOT SHORT OUT THE BATTERY OR ANY CABLE TOO THE BATTERY)

Then reconnect both the battery cables and retest.

Last edited:
A few people have had issues with the level misreading and it may just sort itself out, think I would get the fuel level up and down a couple times to see if it corrects itself before putting to much time/effort into it (tanks defo worth a kick though)

Hi all I’ve a problem just hoping I’ll get some good feedback my 2017 transporter shuttle DSG fuel gauge will only go up to half way it works fine from halfway to zero any information would be very welcome

Back