Fuel contaminated-(£7000 reparation!)

trex

Hello,

I bought a brand new T6 California ocean in September 2016 but keep having problems since:
- 6 months after the purchase I had a valve EGR replacement
- approx. 5 months ago I had a leak in a fuel pipe with fuel spread all over the motor
- Last month I had a breakdown, the driving feeling was like being on a wrong gear, I therefore stopped the engine on the side road and the motor never start again (like no fuel admission into the motor). The VW mechanics did not manage to restart the engine. A fuel sample was send and it appears that the diesel was contaminated. It is written on the report contamination: 85. I have verified my receipt, I put 65 litres of Diesel in the tank and made approx. 60km before the breakdown. I contacted the filling station which apparently did not recorded any similar complaints (my problem was in the City of Hourtin in France around the 12/08/2020, filling station: "carrefour contact sas sodilac" ). Any idea what could have cause the contamination or breakdown other than the fuel of the filling station? The cost of the repair can go up to £7000 apparently if I have to change the injectors so your help will be greatly appreciated ! The breakdown occurs obviously after the warranty period so not sure if there is something I can do to cover the cost of repair?

A fuel sample was send and it appears that the diesel was contaminated. It is written on the report contamination: 85. I have verified my receipt, I put 65 litres of Diesel in the tank and made approx. 60km before the breakdown.
What was the diesel contaminated with?

Get your own sample tested! This is an easy copout for the dealer.

Agreed, but ask the dealer what they base their statement about contamination, and if you do go ahead keep the question simple, only ask if the sample meets EN590. As has been said before the spec is pretty loose and you will often find a fuel that looks bad will meet the spec

I used Alcontrol in Conwy for work and found them to be very good, if you are going to proceed, get 3 samples from the top, middle and bottom of the container/tank and ask the dealer to send some off as well.

Last edited:
Agreed, but ask the dealer what they base their statement about contamination, and if you do go ahead keep the question simple, only ask if the sample meets EN590. As has been said before the spec is pretty loose and you will often find a fuel that looks bad will meet the spec

I used Alcontrol in Conwy for work and found them to be very good, if you are going to proceed, get 3 samples from the top, middle and bottom of the container/tank and ask the dealer to send some off as well.
I will ask for a third party to make another sample check (what is the cost approx.?). If the sample meets EN590, what can be the cause of the pb? and can I claim something as I am not under warranty?

I will ask for a third party to make another sample check (what is the cost approx.?). If the sample meets EN590, what can be the cause of the pb? and can I claim something as I am not under warranty?

That’s the big question, the vans out of warranty so you may get some goodwill if the fuel proves to be to spec, if its not then I guess you are on your own unless you can prove that the source of the problem was the filling station or can track down others that have had a similar problem with that fuel supply at the same time.

As to cost for the sample check, I really can’t tell you how much as I used to do a big volume of business with them on a project I was working on but haven’t used them for a few years, my guess would be around £50 but you would need to speak with them directly.

It's the key question, knowing what your fuel is contaminated with gives strong indicators on every other key question, such as how did it happen, who is liable, etc. The dealer may "think" it's petrol but you will need proven facts to take this further. I'd even ask the fuel station to send you the CCTV of you filling up, in case it is suggested that you misfuelled the van.

Back