Front Shocks Failing

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well, I took my van in for a brake fluid change and mentioned I had a very occasional knocking sound from the front drivers side. It actually started when the van was about a year old but it was so occasional I never mentioned it. Well, it turns out my front shocks are on their way out! The 3 year warranty has literally just expired but I've got an extended warranty.....they're not sure if they're covered! A bit poor for a 3 year old van with 24000 easy miles on it! I'll find out on Monday if they're going to cover it....if they do, I'll be pushing for both shocks changing at the same time. Thoughts anyone?
MD:(

Try by all means, but I’d wager they’ll only cover the faulty item as pairing isn’t strictly necessary

That’s no good. But then I remember my brothers Golf coming out of its first service needing a pair of new shocks - I guess it happens.

On a positive note:- if they won’t cover you warranty-wise, at least you know there’s plenty of next-to-new shocks out there from owners who’ve gone down the coilover route.

My first T6 (MY16) had rear drive shafts and a rear shock replaced under warranty at first service. It also snapped the auxiliary belt twice before getting the new pulley. No other problems until I accidentally set it on fire and wrote it off!

My first T6 (MY16) had rear drive shafts and a rear shock replaced under warranty at first service. It also snapped the auxiliary belt twice before getting the new pulley. No other problems until I accidentally set it on fire and wrote it off!
LOL . . . oops. may i ask how?

oh, and i had a front right shock replaced (MY11 T30 180) at about 65k at my cost, it was noticed when i had a new tyre fitted and they saw the bottom of the leg was wet.

i just put it down to the numerous speed bumps i drive over daily.

Ah, I thought it was always advisable to replace things like that in pairs?

If the dealer gets all expensive, there must be loads of standard VW shocks sitting in boxes unused in forum members garages following fitting of B14'S etc. :thumbsup:

LOL . . . oops. may i ask how?

oh, and i had a front right shock replaced (MY11 T30 180) at about 65k at my cost, it was noticed when i had a new tyre fitted and they saw the bottom of the leg was wet.

i just put it down to the numerous speed bumps i drive over daily.

Makita battery charger sat on the back seat, left it plugged in for about 14hrs it melted through the seat battery exploded, I caught it just as the flames started hitting the roof, but the van was wrecked with heat and smoke damage.

Back