Quick question regarding the dreaded engine light.

Teesix

T6 Guru
Had the engine light come on 3 weeks ago on my 67 plate 102bhp Trendline and promptly booked it into my local VW place. It took them until today to be able to look at it.
They're basically saying that the Ad-Blue sensor, the Exhaust Temp Sensor and the Knock Sensor all need replacing.

Is it just a coincidence that all three sensors have gone at exactly the same time or, is it likely that one sensor has gone and caused the other two to go in some sort of weird knock-on effect? Would I get the same engine light on if those 3 components broke individually? I find it odd that all three have gone at exactly the same time. They want £1500 to fix them.

They actually replaced the Ad-Blue sensor under warranty a couple of years ago and I've probably only covered around 5000 - 6000 miles since then.

They're quite delicate little things these T6s. You find that out when the warranty expires.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
the engine light
Please clarify - flashing coil (glow plug) light or yellow light with an engine symbol emission_2.jpg ?

the Ad-Blue sensor
Any more details - which sensor exactly?

the Exhaust Temp Sensor
Which one - there are four temp sensors along the exhaust?

the Knock Sensor
Which one, or both?

They want £1500 to fix them.
Any part numbers on the quote?

The engine light is solid orange, no flashing. They didn't give any more details of which sensors had gone other than the three they mentioned above.

I was on the motorway when the engine light came on. Then, about a couple of minutes later the Ad-Blue warning came up on the mfd. I don't know if it's related but when I came off the motorway and pulled away from a junction the van threw on its brakes and made an impromptu emergency stop. Quite frightening but luckily no one was behind me. I then drove the van about 20 miles home with no other issues, other than the engine light being on.

when I came off the motorway and pulled away from a junction the van threw on its brakes and made an impromptu emergency stop.
Jeez, I think that'd worry me more than the engine light!
Pure luck that nobody was behind you!

Yeah, I don't mind admitting that I very nearly shat myself. Nearly got a mouthful of windscreen too.

Back