Forty Winks Beds

Duncan Mowlem

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello All,

i would like to pick your brains on the forty winks bed or similar...would like to make my Kombi sleeping friendly but need to keep the boot space for double pram etc when travelling. i had a look for the forty winks on line but they only seem to be on facebook and i am not.
can i have your thoughts/knowledge on any Kombi beds you might reccomend or does anyone have one for sale?
I have seen them new on EBAY, am i right in thinking i would need to source a matress seperatley? starting to realise this might become pricey....

thanks for any advice/help..

I have a Forty Winks bed, picked it up over Christmas and fitted it myself. I have yet to buy a mattress but still working on the best way as to do it.

The Forty Winks bed is permanently fitted behind the rear seats and the other part is hinged, legs added and fits into the tie down points.

I will do a proper post when it is light and van empty for all to see with pictures.

The other options were the Explorer bed frame, sits over the seats but you loose the whole boot. The Andro jump is of wood box construction.

Thanks for the links, had a look at the amdro, clever as it takes no space but fancy full width and I have the 2+1 rear seat. Look forward to seeing the forty winks set up,
Thanks for your help guys..

Hi @Duncan Mowlem The foryy winks is a good system. Which gives a good bit of boots space. I've been look to get some cushions made up for mine but 20171229_112922.jpg prices haven't been cheap so far. Other options are to use thermarests. Or buy foam / standard type mattress. I'll put some pics of mine fitted if I can work out how to!

Thanks @StewC, i think this is what i need, sorry to be a pain, do you have a pic with it folded in half so i know what boot space there is when travelling... i have a lot to fit in, 4 kids and 2 of them babies, i have to carry a LOT of stuff even for quick 1 night camps....

i wonder if a double self inflatning mattress would do the job?? take up little space in the van, would be nice to be comfy tho......

thanks for the pics, they are a great help..

dunc

Thanks @StewC, i think this is what i need, sorry to be a pain, do you have a pic with it folded in half so i know what boot space there is when travelling... i have a lot to fit in, 4 kids and 2 of them babies, i have to carry a LOT of stuff even for quick 1 night camps....

i wonder if a double self inflatning mattress would do the job?? take up little space in the van, would be nice to be comfy tho......

thanks for the pics, they are a great help..

dunc
Dunc I don't have a photo of it folded but the attached dimension document might help. I'll try and get a photo later.

Attachments

• Cushions.pdf
    118.2 KB · Views: 132
Thats brilliant, thanks..

can it carry weight when it is folded (parcel shelf mode) or is there only legs in the very back corners?

thanks

Thats brilliant, thanks..

can it carry weight when it is folded (parcel shelf mode) or is there only legs in the very back corners?

thanks
Dunc legs fasten to lashing points x4 and there are two braces that bolt into existing threaded sockets at the top of the wheel arches. If you want to you can fold the back section on top the section immediately behind the rear set of seats. This is then supported by the braces over the wheel arches and the front lashing points. The legs which are now point up can be unscrewed if you wish. Photo attached sorry it's not good but it was dark by the time I got home.20180124_165746.jpg

My bed is carpeted, the hinges are now black and the tailgate bolts are different, they are like large thumb screws so much easier to undo.

The rear legs screw in, you can leave them in and the bed can fold up with them attached or,you unscrew them, and they can be held in place with the Velcro supplied.

The bed bolts in and is very sturdy. If you do decide to fit yourself, you will need to get hold of a 12sided star fitting, I was fortunate I fitted next door to a mechanic garage as a 6sided didn’t fit properly to undo the tie down bolts.

Once installed you would have to undo 4 bolts and carefully take it out the sliding door... is could be possible, it would be heavy. All depends how much you value your paint work.

If you want to take it apart in two sections, undo 8 screws (where the hinges are) and then it is 2 bits.

It’s not something you would want to do often

Thanks all... think it's the one I need... anyone selling one??;) or know if any??

You've been a great help, just need to persuade the mrs we Need one now...

Contact Ryan and get your order in! For me I picked it up, if you do they can fit it for you at the same time. Delivery would be via a pallet (££)
Do check you have the threads above the wheel arch as it fits into that.

Back