Folding Grab Handle Coming Loose

Deviant Tubs

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all,

So it's been pointed out by my wonderful co-pilot that the folding grab handle immediately above the passenger door has worked it's way loose on the one side.

It appears that the bolt what holds one part of the grab handle has come away from the main structure of the cab, possibly due to the bolt itself being overtightened and knackering the thread? :rolleyes:

I wondered if this has happened to anyone before and if anyone has any suggestions on how best to fix it?

Cheers gang

IMG_20230417_113109.jpg

IMG_20230417_113124.jpg

This has happened to me in the last few days, im thinking the securing hole has become larger.
Did you come up with a solution?
My thoughts are increase bolt size…

It's a bugger isn't it!

As I'd had all the headliner done out in my cab, I can only assume removing and handles knackered the thread.

I considered using Riv Nuts or something similar, but in the end I just cut down a suitable sized rawlplug and tapped it into the stripped hole.

I then used a more substantial screw than the OEM one (make sure it fits the plastic handle socket) and bingo - all sorted.

Not sure how it compares in terms of strength, but I've had plenty of passengers freinds/family etc use it over the last year and it's remained perfectly solid.

As much as I was prepared to go down the over-engineered/expensive route (as we all are as T6 owners) I've learnt it's oftentimes best to try the budget friendly version first.

Let me know how you get on
Good luck!

Ahhh perfect i would have never thought about just using a wall plug and a screw. I will have to give that a go over the weekend and I will give you an update on how I got on. Hopefully mine holds up just like yours has done.

What about a rivnut? Prob more sturdy!
Yes as mentioned above, I did consider going down the Rivnut route - but thought I'd give the plug a go first. Much simpler and I've got thousands of them lying around.

So far so good for me but yes I agree, Rivnut if the plug isn't up to it

I’d checked your location as I have a setting tool for rivnuts but you’re a bit far away! You can collapse them with a bolt, nut and washer (and patience!).

Added to the ever expanding list of 'problems I'll never have' on a Startline! Poverty rules!

Do you by any chance know what size rivnut would be required for these handles?
Sorry no - the chassis has a lot of pre punched hex shaped holes too - might have to ease the roof lining away for a peep or maybe someone has theirs down and can advise?

Back