Floor batons height - 9mm seems too high

Sebbo900

I’m in the middle of converting an ex rac t6 van, hence the bright orange. I’m cutting out some 9mm ply batons for the floor and it looks like it is too high for the ridges (see picture). Is this expected?

IMG_1411.jpeg

Are you intending to use any insulation/lining on the bare floor?
Some of the builds I looked at used 9mm baton directly on the floor (as you have) and then used sound deadening and/or insulation on the area in-between. The sound deadening is typically 2mm thick and a dense rubbery material like butyl which is unlikely to compress much.
Is the difference in height around 2mm? Admittedly it looks a little more than that to my eye.

Are you intending to use any insulation/lining on the bare floor?
Some of the builds I looked at used 9mm baton directly on the floor (as you have) and then used sound deadening sheet on the area in-between. This is typically 2mm thick and a dense rubbery material like butyl which is unlikely to compress much.
Is the difference in height around 2mm?
Yeah it is about 2mm out.

I was planning on just laying dodo mat duo across the whole floor including the batons. But then I guess it will end up in the situation where it’s 2mm higher where the wooden batons are.

Yeah it is about 2mm out.

I was planning on just laying dodo mat duo across the whole floor including the batons. But then I guess it will end up in the situation where it’s 2mm higher where the wooden batons are.
It certainly would.
looking at more builds, some have applied deadening in between and then covered the whole lot with a layer of insulation, which would work.
Ultimately there are a number of methods for taking up the gap. As usual, it's down to how far you want to go with it. The various methods will have varying levels of effectiveness and a not insignificant level of time, effort, weight and cost to consider.
You may notice that a lot of van converters/builders prefer not to install lots of deadening and/or insulation. They'll give their reasons, but a big one will be that it's time-consuming work for admittedly minimal gains. What may be an acceptable outlay for the average home conversion isn't so appealing if you're paying someone else's hourly rate to do it!

Thanks for all the advice everyone and it makes a lot more sense now! I have some sound deadening panels left over so I will add them to all the ridges which should bring them up to the height of the 9mm panels. And @The Bear78 I agree probably not worth it for a professional job but it should only cost me another £40 plus I’ve already bought all the ply.

Back