Fixing solar panel cables to underside of Reimo roof

widu13

Retired Bobby
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All, I've installed a solar panel and the cable exits at the back out side of the tent and I want to run the cables underneath the reimo roof. The issue is I can't find anything to stick to it. I've prepped and solvent cleaned the surface but VHB tape doesn't work , 5 min epoxy won't hold, neither will contact adhesive. I'm thinking that I may need to bed it in fibreglass. I've spent more time trying to hold the cables than I spent putting the panel on! Very frustrating.

Any ideas?

When you say epoxy resin doesn’t work, what are you trying to glue to the roof, the cables? I would use the epoxy resin to hold some cable tie clips, once set you can cable tie the cables in place AB889EEE-1A7F-4984-913B-BE7FFADC615F.png

Tried those using epoxy and VHB as well as setting the cable directly in epoxy. I'm thinking now that I may just leave the cable loose.

I have found STORMSURE FLEXIBLE REPAIR ADHESIVE very good for sticking to difficult surfaces. You would, however, have to come up with a method to hold it in place temporarily whilst the adhesive sets. Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive 15g Clear

Using the cable tie bases as suggested above may may it it easier too.

It's also available via eBay.

Hi All, I've installed a solar panel and the cable exits at the back out side of the tent and I want to run the cables underneath the reimo roof. The issue is I can't find anything to stick to it. I've prepped and solvent cleaned the surface but VHB tape doesn't work , 5 min epoxy won't hold, neither will contact adhesive. I'm thinking that I may need to bed it in fibreglass. I've spent more time trying to hold the cables than I spent putting the panel on! Very frustrating.

Any ideas?
Hi widu, I know old post but using search. Any chance of a couple of pics of how/where you ran the cables into the van? I’ve planned and checked the route I’d like to take I, just stuck on going from outside to inside the van. Thanks.

The panel has it's cable entry on the underside and just has a hole drilled through the roof with a grommet on the underside - the position of the cable means it's outside of the tented area and is then taken back into the van via the velcro fastening at the rear of my SCA. The loop of cable required to cope with poptop raising and lowering is managed via the velcro with no cable ties, etc., required - simple but effective :-

View attachment 23316
View attachment 23317
View attachment 23319
View attachment 23320

View attachment 23318

View attachment 23321
Here's a couple of ideas. So much info on this on various threads. Bit of a minefield! Took me a while to work out how I was going to do it. I've ran mine through the velcro at the back same as the second set of pics. Another solution in the first set of pics

Here's a couple of ideas. So much info on this on various threads. Bit of a minefield! Took me a while to work out how I was going to do it. I've ran mine through the velcro at the back same as the second set of pics. Another solution in the first set of pics
R thanks for that never noticed the Velcro will have a look when it stops raining. Figured out most my routing but going out to in the van outside of the canvas all seems to be the metal body that I’d rather not drill for risk of the corrosion worm arriving. The wooden floor of the bed seems to start about 5cm forward of the ideal route.

Hi widu, I know old post but using search. Any chance of a couple of pics of how/where you ran the cables into the van? I’ve planned and checked the route I’d like to take I, just stuck on going from outside to inside the van. Thanks.

Sorry mate, I've moved the van on. I ran them on the underside of the roof fixing them with electrical cable tie mounts (on sikaflex- I removed the self adhesive tape) and cable ties and then ran them in the spare grommet on the right side of the shut line (I had rear doors). I had to drill though into the van through the "second" skin.

1709632997015.png1709633281596.png

Last edited:
Thanks for those pics great help. Hopefully next week or two panel go on and last bit of wiring solar panel to charger

Bit late but have got the solar panel on and all hooked up. If it helps anyone for ideas, ran the cables from the battery under the passenger seat through the “tunnels” space to the drivers seat, dropped out the van floor via the hole for me heater pipes, then along underside of the van with the plastic trays removed for access, then back into the van via the water pipe hole for the u def floor tank. Then behind the units into bottom of the wardrobe to the mppt. The panel slapped on with structural adhesive towards the back of the pop top. Looped the wires round the lower edge under the pop top roof. ( since pics taken I’ve stuck cable mounts to the underside of the roof and tied cables to them). Then ran them through the fibreglass mount so they’re on top of the original van structure and out the other side of the fibreglass support inside the van. Had to do a minor channel in the plywood for the bed for the cables then they go over the top and down the back of the wardrobe to the mppt. So far works as planned, fridge running continuously for a week and the battery still hasn’t gone remotely near flat, just needs a full test using the fridge so door opening and closing in warmer weather but confident it’s mission accomplished.

IMG_0467.jpeg

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0460.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Back