Five days to go...

Leisure battery suddenly dropped then went flat last night so we're off to our next spot, partly to charge it (there's two) and partly because that's what we do.
Had a lovely run early; it was a cool 14 degrees so perfectly okay; 5 vicious miles of über hilly coast path; 300m of ascent!

I think we're heading East to Xago near Aviles.

Well Xago is amazing! You drive be through seriously heavy industrial land then suddenly you're at a lovely beach with great surf.
And just ordered a random beer which is delicious but... 7.2%; uh oh!

Batteries recharged, food restocked, water tanks all filled.

7 days left...!
Parked in a dune next to Xago beach; rather handy for sheltering from wind although it's dropped to almost nothing.

21082882_10154758590147805_2071509111815133343_o.jpg

I helped push three stuck cars/vans out yesterday; loads of soft sand keeps catching people out.

Friendly people here; already had a good chat with a nice Irish couple and an Israeli/French chap whose van I helped push out of the sand yesterday. More recommendations, more swapping of knowledge; very useful!

Good waves; quite powerful - the wife just snapped her surfboard leash! My turn shortly.

Gone a bit cloudy but still warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now at Playa Vega after a bit of electric trouble with the van; having it seriously looked at when we return.
Initial thoughts weren't great but it was tipping with rain (now 2.5 days out of 33 so not bad!) but we slept well and it's looking better today.

Funny how all resolve falls to bits in bad weather; I was panic checking the weather maps for good weather and considered a two hour drive inland to Leon to find sunshine!

Good facilities here too; including free hot showers!

The Camino trail passes the beach so planning to run a bit of it later; slightly iffy stomach again last night so thought I'd leave the early run idea this time:

Surf is too small for me but good for the kids.

Current spot; nice to have a direct sea view again. It was quite wet yesterday and access here is 4wd only so the van is mucky. Also trying to dry everything.
Our boy caught a few little waves and I had a fun run (then bodysurf in trunks) following the Camino trail. Very handy navigational aid!

21014100_10154764536202805_5497724843614549927_o.jpg

Wife got a few shots at Xago; new board works well.

21015691_10154764538667805_8300012476327326509_o.jpg

Current spot; nice to have a direct sea view again. It was quite wet yesterday and access here is 4wd only so the van is mucky. Also trying to dry everything.
Our boy caught a few little waves and I had a fun run (then bodysurf in trunks) following the Camino trail. Very handy navigational aid!

View attachment 12556

Wife got a few shots at Xago; new board work well.

View attachment 12557
Good use of the tailgate strap :)

Well that campsite was very pretty but slightly odd; cosy but poor restaurant, facilities needed sorting; locks missing from loos, broken showers, etc. And noisy too; Spanish campsites are definitely a lottery with night noise.

It also rained; heavily. So vaguely headed for the coast; stopped at a spot at 1615m and had quick lunch then went through Potes; quite touristy but still an amazing town so we stopped for an explore. Kids were whacked so decided to stop in another nearby campsite; it's pricey but it's lovely. Great views, facilities and another Ocean (Dutch) next to us. The boot issue has been driving me nuts and I've had words with VW "assist" who have promised to call to tomorrow.

I have a feeling we won't be able to free camp again this holiday; the boot just isn't secure enough.

The morning van view;

21167096_10154771347597805_8848917819547026184_o.jpg

Met a nice bloke who lives in Newquay, works with my brother in law and knows a load of people I know too!

Think we'll stay here until we leave. Definitely a cracking site; it's called La Viorna just outside Potes.

I'm going to miss updates from this thread when you return. It's become my morning paper recently.
:D:thumbsup:
Well that's nice to hear; thanks! :thumbsup:

Having a lazy day today; kids playing with their new friends (sons of the guy I met yesterday) and having a ball. Boot latch currently behaving... I had a call from a VW tech but even he agreed that @Pauly had better advice (his was to dismantle the boot and leave it latch free but also closed until it was put back together again).

If it plays up again I shall be whipping out fuse no.44 pronto.

Back to this site, having done mostly free camping with the odd site night, this place does tick a lot of boxes; of course if there was surf I'd be twitching but it's nearly flat. Guess when it's due to pick up? Just as our ferry leaves Santander!!

Looking forward to seeing our dog, having more space, having a dishwasher, doing some archery and seeing mates and family again. Oh and cleaning the van; it needs it!

So not all bad; home life is definitely not something to dread.

One thing I meant to mention; gas.
No not that kind, the cooking variety. We have used the hob several times a day for hot drinks, cooking and washing up water and more and it's still going strong.
Decided not to bring a spare 907 bottle this time as it really gets in the way; just an emergency little camping stove; and it's been great. Phew.

One thing I meant to mention; gas.
No not that kind, the cooking variety. We have used the hob several times a day for hot drinks, cooking and washing up water and more and it's still going strong.
Decided not to bring a spare 907 bottle this time as it really gets in the way; just an emergency little camping stove; and it's been great. Phew.
At Bala last week - I knew the 907 bottle I had wouldn't last the week so swapped out for a new one before we went - first time I tried to use it all that would happen is the gas would light then immediately go out - bottle was still full of something but it was not Campingaz!! Fortunately, campsite shop was still open and able to exchange, albeit bemused we were swapping out a seemingly full bottle!! As you have to swap nothing to present to where I bought exchange from (Jacksons of Old Arley) so not worth hassle of following up but lesson learnt - I will always test after fitting a new bottle from now on!!

Well we return tomorrow!
So flogged myself with another mountain run; 2.1 miles all uphill, slowed to a fast hike (too steep to run), peaked through the clouds to stunning views, blatted back down; did an extra 1/2 mile down to the village to make it up to just over 5 miles. I can do videos too but can't get them to appear here.

21199509_10154773918677805_3346763611020690850_o.jpg
Sun now coming out here, gas still working, electrics a bit iffy.

Views are just lovely.

21125467_10154773924022805_7509728570818190042_o.jpg

Back